Actor Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman on film set.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
First exercise I ever did, we were shown what would happen with the crimped-nosed blanks used with the SLR (when the bloody things chose to feed properly).

A KF shirt was strung up between two poles and the weapon fired cross-ways (as distinct from straight into it) twice*. The result was two great, long tears.

Lesson of the day: aim off when using blanks.

Anyone who thinks blanks can't do damage knows very little about weapons. Also, don't forget that film weapons are filled with all sorts of stuff to get you that nice titanium-white flame that real-life smokeless propellant doesn't. Best wear natural fibres. :)

*Possibly the best-possible use of a KF shirt. I'm not bitter. Honest.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I just read some awfully sad news about the actor Alec Baldwin. Apparently there was an accident with a gun loaded with blank bullets on set and he has shot and killed a director of photography. I genuinely had no idea that blank bullets could kill or do we think that it may of been loaded with a live bullet inadvertently?
The BFA was there for a reason.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
First exercise I ever did, we were shown what would happen with the crimped-nosed blanks used with the SLR (when the bloody things chose to feed properly).

A KF shirt was strung up between two poles and the weapon fired cross-ways (as distinct from straight into it) twice*. The result was two great, long tears.

Lesson of the day: aim off when using blanks.

Anyone who thinks blanks can't do damage knows very little about weapons. Also, don't forget that film weapons are filled with all sorts of stuff to get you that nice titanium-white flame that real-life smokeless propellant doesn't. Best wear natural fibres. :)

*Possibly the best-possible use of a KF shirt. I'm not bitter. Honest.
Best ever use of a KF shirt was Wee John P*****K swapping one for a US Army company's guidon (little flag on a stick carried on all their morning hurdy gurdy runs).

Even though he had to give it back about a week later (2 crates of beer IIRC), it looked awesome in our 4 man room.

He let them keep the KF shirt.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Usually for films, weapons have a miniature version of a BFA which screws into the barrel and fits inside the flash eliminator on a rifle, not certain if they're capable of actually catching rounds though. Look carefully on some war films and you'll see. (Like that shot in Platoon where the GPMG blatantly has a belt of blank on that I now can't fail to notice every time)
The Bren (rather than LMG) used to have a 'masher barrel' and bulleted blank (wooden rounds) to enable automatic fire, no BFA.

Quite sporty when that got going!

No, contrary to what many believe, blanks are not harmless. They can kill.

Not just guns either...

In 1989 Stunt actor Yukio Kato was killed on the set of Zatoichi 26 by Katsu's son, who was co-starring, when an actual sword was mistaken for a prop, fatally wounding Kato.

964ST

LE
I was shot in left upper thigh fom a blank round from a "that Rifle" that did not have a BFA in Basic Training. I had lightweights on and the barrel was pretty much in contact with my leg, it was during a clearence of a trench position after a section attack! After the initial shock , I looked at my leg and was surprised that there was no blood, the particles from the blank and my trouser material had been blasted into my skin! I looked up at my colleague and said "Pearson you better start running!" I then spent a good five minutes chasing him over the excercise area like a bad Benny Hill skit, with the DS looking on in complete disbelievement!

The worst (apart from a scar that is still visible after 40yrs) was that the civvie storeman would not exchange the lightweights and gave me a tailors chit for a patch, the hole was directly on the front crease line to go on parade with!!

Last edited:
I'm regretting bringing that BBC website to everyone's attention.

Perhaps there should be an Arrse pidgin version?

No need - there's enough broken brained Arrsers posting gibberish already...

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Must... must... can't... M60.
I presume he was referring to a general purpose machine gun in general (SWIDT? ) rather than a General Purpose Machine Gun in particular.

dlrg

LE

Gone2ratshat

Old-Salt
No, contrary to what many believe, blanks are not harmless. They can kill.
The thing with movie prop guns is they usually forward discharge to get flames coming out of the muzzle so bits of brass often comes out as well if cases are the crimped type, these type of blank firers are generally Sect 5 in the UK.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
The thing with movie prop guns is they usually forward discharge to get flames coming out of the muzzle so bits of brass often comes out as well if cases are the crimped type, these type of blank firers are generally Sect 5 in the UK.
As they were filming a western movie (presumably featuring revolvers rather than automatics), I imagine it's quite likely that that the guns are real rather than props.

Latest Threads