Actor Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman on film set.

TamH70

MIA
In a similar vein but with thunderflash. The standard way that DS demonstrated the power of these to recruits was to strike the thing, cover it with a tin helmet which would fly 50 feet into the air when the device went bang. One Cpl decided a better demo would be for him to stand on top of the helmet and the ensuing force would lift him a couple of feet, of course matters such as interia, force, Newton's laws of motion etc. all contrived to break one of his ankles at boom time, which, to be fair, are not the kind of matters that typically preoccupy DS. Anyway he was carted off to get fixed and presumably never tried that trick again, although another DS Cpl lost a finger or two while demoing (badly) something with a thunderflash.

It's always A DS Cpl who dream up these kind of flawed stunts isn't it? (and long may they continue) I wonder if our on set armourer in this case was a former DS Cpl?

If I recall correctly, the "stick a thunderflash under a helmet" thingy went out of the window with the introduction of that GRP nylon thingy trying to masquerade as an American PASGT helmet. Mainly because it'd explode into a shower of high-velocity plastic shards and wipe out the entire lot of gormless recruits and the equally-if-not-more-so DS staff all in a oner.

If I recall correctly, the "stick a thunderflash under a helmet" thingy went out of the window with the introduction of that GRP nylon thingy trying to masquerade as an American PASGT helmet. Mainly because it'd explode into a shower of high-velocity plastic shards and wipe out the entire lot of gormless recruits and the equally-if-not-more-so DS staff all in a oner.

I am showing my age here, but just to be clear it was not something like this.

Attachments

• il_1588xN.3184193772_m7y7.jpg
    il_1588xN.3184193772_m7y7.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 2

TamH70

MIA
I am showing my age here, but just to be clear it was not something like this.

Oh, a Spartiate titfer! Nice.

I was on about this horrible thing.

It, its cover, and my old S10 respirator are all I kept when I dekitted at my local Shelter shop.

jinxy

LE
The thunderflash was put under a dustbin lid in the demo given to me. It didn't stop the twats in my troop throwing them at my head, during a mock battle we did at Middle Wallop,

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Bruce Dickinson is another keen fencer

One of the chefs I knew at 4 med was into fencing. He claimed to go to the same club as Mr Dickinson. He also said his own skills were nowhere near as good as Mr D.

Blogg

LE
just trying to weed out the undesirables

That, according to a now long former Club, included any peasant who even expressed an interest in shooting anything other than TR or F class

But in real world really does not take very long for a common view to be formed

I am curious about who actually trains civvy shooters and what sort of quals they have. And the actual method of training, ie when I say go etc.

NRA has trained trainers, Range Conducting Officers etc. Other club trainers are the long in the tooth club members who volunteer to train plus certified other roles. Anyone involved with shooting on an MOD range is by dint of their governance subject to MOD rules specifically aligned for the discipline being shot, e.g. musket will be subject but not specifically mentioned, matters such as safe handling, where it can be fired, muzzle energy limits etc. are subject to the overarching MOD governance.

That, according to a now long former Club, included any peasant who even expressed an interest in shooting anything other than TR or F class

But in real world really does not take very long for a common view to be formed

Common lore has it that the self appointed superiors are the Match Rifle mob, they looking down on the TR commoners who in turn think of F-Class as oiks. Of course even in TR there is the "we are the real shooters" tension between SB and FB to bear in mind.

4(T)

LE
I am curious about who actually trains civvy shooters and what sort of quals they have. And the actual method of training, ie when I say go etc.

Trainers either have NRA qualifications, or are experienced club members.

The training objectives are essentially the same as MoD objectives, and have extensive cross-certification (ie procedures for using an MoD range). NRA publications provide the usual template for training.

Civvie training is a reinforced version of military training; usually classroom theory and then the practical. The uplift being that a civvie probationer shooter will normally shoot under personal supervision of a safety officer for the duration of his/her probationary period (up to six months).

At the end of the day, safe shooting is not rocket science, and is quickly assimilated by practice and repetition.

Oyibo

LE
In a similar vein but with thunderflash. The standard way that DS demonstrated the power of these to recruits was to strike the thing, cover it with a tin helmet which would fly 50 feet into the air when the device went bang. One Cpl decided a better demo would be for him to stand on top of the helmet and the ensuing force would lift him a couple of feet, of course matters such as interia, force, Newton's laws of motion etc. all contrived to break one of his ankles at boom time, which, to be fair, are not the kind of matters that typically preoccupy DS. Anyway he was carted off to get fixed and presumably never tried that trick again, although another DS Cpl lost a finger or two while demoing (badly) something with a thunderflash.

It's always A DS Cpl who dream up these kind of flawed stunts isn't it? (and long may they continue) I wonder if our on set armourer in this case was a former DS Cpl?

Airbags can be fun as well!

Been doing a little bit of supporting actor work for films over the last year, carrying firearms and occasionally firing blanks. ( the weapons, not me )

In my limited experience it appears to be very much standard operating procedures in the UK on their approach on the sets in regards to the issue, control and carry of firearms.

Set Guns

Non-working
..... Literal props with no working parts, either plastic airsoft type affairs, rubber weapons used in training for self-defence ( think rubber knives ) or fully deactivated weapons.

Replica.....Either airsoft or deactivated but with working parts but no capability of firing any type of round

Blank Firing....Genuine weapons adapted to firing blanks or constructed for blanks but incapable of firing a round....however often capable of sending the propellant gases through the end of the barrel for effects purposes

Section 5 Firearms
...Genuine live firing weapons, sometimes adapted to fire a smaller round, but these are live fire weapons. Not fitted with external BFA's. Not used for blanks.

No live rounds ever on set. All rounds accounted for and checked before and after issue

Weapons issue

Supporting actors confirmed as ex-military and/or experienced in weapons carry i SPACT trained in firearms in some cases.....not always confirmed on set but your booking agency will have.

Sometimes weapons are directly issued depending on your character or you can have a little free for all if its not film essential who carries what.

Armourer issues the weapon from the armoury ( truck normally ) and confirms that you are familiar with the type of weapon being issued, if not and you are competent, will provide an essential rundown. ( its assumed that you do in fact know a selection of weapons to have been selected this far )

Weapon is proved before being handed over, regardless if its a prop/airsoft/blank firer or section 5. The state of the magazines are proved and no live blanks are issued from armoury.

If required to fire blanks, these are issued separately to specific supporting actors and accounted for. Treated at all times as live rounds and often magazines kept off weapons until actual filming.

All weapons are treated as live from this point, no pointing at people, no letting weapon out of your sight, returning weapon to armoury or into control of a sensible person if needing to briefly leave set etc.

No buggering about. Practice of weapon drills such as transition from rifle to pistol can be practiced but in a sensible area if required on set....not the canteen or around people or the public.

Weapons used during the filming as directed, sometimes you just jog about and carry, other times you deploy into tactical positions or patrol.....as directed you start firing which can mean simply going through the motions with a deactivated/prop weapon and doing the " bang " or " bang bang bang " in your head while simulating recoil ( CGI effects added later )

Blank firers are nominated, fire arcs are indicated and all actors are aware who has these weapons and to keep a distance....no actors in front of weapons within a certain distance, no pointing at any person directly and ear defence issued to all nearby.

End of shoot, all weapons handed back into armoury and accounted for. All unused rounds handed back in....not seen an " I have no empty cases, loose rounds " declaration yet, but its assumed you are adults. Any problems with the weapons reported.

Any safety problems during the shoot can be immediately flagged up and from what I have seen are actually listened to as its assumed we are ex-military ninja experts and know are stuff. Even suggestions from the supporting actors about what weapons would be appropriate can sometimes be listed to.

Anyone with more experience, please correct or add to this.

Morning @BaldBaBoon,
You wouldn't believe the shit involving firearms I saw in a half day's filming of two scenes, for a recently released film.
It was a Bollywood job though.

E2a: Three, not two scenes

Best the British army stops sending the under 30s on tour. Not everyone young is a snowflake.

If she is at fault, then it on her. No excuses about her being a little girl or semi trained.
She had previously worked on at least one film, she could have walked off this one.

Best the British army stops sending the under 30s on tour. Not everyone young is a snowflake.

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

If she is at fault, then it on her. No excuses about her being a little girl or semi trained.
She had previously worked on at least one film, she could have walked off this one.

I'm not here to apportion blame - that will probably be for the courts to decide. It might well be that she faces civil and criminal penalties as an individual.

It does strike me that the studio displayed exceptionally poor judgement in hiring her. Quite possibly that decision will now cost them - or their insurers - millions of dollars.

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

You are the one trying to portray a 24 year old woman as a little girl.

I'm not here to apportion blame - that will probably be for the courts to decide. It might well be that she faces civil and criminal penalties as an individual.

It does strike me that the studio displayed exceptionally poor judgement in hiring her. Quite possibly that decision will now cost them - or their insurers - millions of dollars.

Yeah how dare they hire 24 year olds.

Obviously they should have been standing behind a wet blanket while filming the scene.

It's a good point, and if as some suggest it was a single round that went through the first person and injured the second, then we can rule out the firearm as being an SMG of BAOR vintage, we all know that the bullet dropped out of the air by 50 yards and even while in flight would not have troubled tissue paper along the way. Whether this was the fault of the gun, the issued Indian ammo or a combination of both those factors is the only unknown here.

The outcome suggests otherwise.

She wasn't a trained soldier in the British army. She was a recent graduate of a liberal university campus who'd been given a few pointers in weapons handling by her 78 year old father.

Hence, semi-trained little girl.

Your hoop is your own business.
But wimminz is strong n equal . You patrerarchist you.
Your just upset she got the skills to be a movie armourer. Apart from the killing she's as good as any ex army gammon .

Latest Threads