Actor Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman on film set.

That may apply to the likes of you and I, but he's an actor. He's just required to act like he knows how to use guns. In this case he clearly didn't. They have/should have had people for that stuff.

I get what you mean but even though there'll be others involved and culpable in part, no one else pulled the trigger. All my sympathy is for the dead lass and her family. I hope they sue Baldwin into the dark ages cos sure as eggs are eggs, he'll get off with just a slap on the wrist if it goes to court.

I might be missing an important part here?
but what purpose does a bfa have on a single shot revolver, and why was the weapon pointed at her in the first place?

No earthly reason that would be necessary
Back early in the thread I quoted the armorer explaining why there was NEVER live ammo in a set, an how dummy rounds were used in revolvers when the bullet was visible.
And how a mong making 'dummies' by pulling the charge from live ammo had led to Lee's death.
That is why there are armorers, and the unionised types rule the roost on set - to prevent this kind of tragic event.
“It’s every armorer’s nightmare. But I’ve never had an actor get hurt. You almost never hear of anybody getting hurt on set with a gun. I once packed up all my guns and walked off a set because the director wanted something done with a gun that I didn’t think was safe."

RaiderBoat

War Hero
Yep, every time.
Utter bollocks.
1. where is your info coming from it was an “old” revolver?
2. You want the entire film to shut down every time they switch props? Really? Continuity/editing/lighting/etc would create huge cost overruns.
NONE of you were there, yet are weighing in with the ever present English Pontifical knowledge that is endemic here.
Do you check the brakes, fluids, oil, gas, door locks, steering, airbags on your car each time you drive? No? Then you are a murderer in waiting.

Utter Pogues.

Utter bollocks.
1. where is your info coming from it was an “old” revolver?
2. You want the entire film to shut down every time they switch props? Really? Continuity/editing/lighting/etc would create huge cost overruns.
NONE of you were there, yet are weighing in with the ever present English Pontifical knowledge that is endemic here.
Do you check the brakes, fluids, oil, gas, door locks, steering, airbags on your car each time you drive? No? Then you are a murderer in waiting.

Utter Pogues.
No, but I do wear a seatbelt.
The car analogy used by the gun lobby is quite silly.
Firearms were designed, from the outset, to kill things. Cars weren't.

2. You want the entire film to shut down every time they switch props?
Umm, yes.
See posts above quoting 'real' armorers and the protocols and safety briefings and rules which they demand are adhered to

Got a feeling the very young and inexperienced gun expert / armourer is going to be having some heated non coffee interviews
Armourer,24, on Alex Baldwin film 'wasn't sure' if she was ready for movie set roles.

It seems that the Armourer involved was a 24 year old chick who learned about guns from her 78 year old dad. When I see 'Armourer' on the film credits I always imagine a crusty old ex REME WO1 Armourer with 22 years plus service or their US equivelents.

What about the Jocks, Paddies, Taffs, Aussies, Kiwis, Canuks, Saffers - including the odd Zulu, Israelis, Frenchmen, Germans and others who contribute to Arrse?

Excluding the transsexuals again are you???
Even though we can't actually have babies, not having a womb, which is nobody's fault, we do have the right to have babies.

I just read some awfully sad news about the actor Alec Baldwin. Apparently there was an accident with a gun loaded with blank bullets on set and he has shot and killed a director of photography. I genuinely had no idea that blank bullets could kill or do we think that it may of been loaded with a live bullet inadvertently?
According to a TV report the rounds were all live.

Not the first to die on a film set , Brandon Lee comes to mind during the filming of The Crow. Jon-Erik Hexum shot himself in the temple with a prop loaded with blanks. Kirk Abella was shot dead by a local watchman (local cop, not one of the national force) during an Indian style shoot* (* Don't pay local licence to film in the street, just turn up, block off the road with vehicles and the public trapped inside are your unpaid extras. 30 minutes and hurriedly disappear to the next 'set') He was on the back of a motorbike with a handgun filming a drive-by in an area where the real thing was not uncommon. Possibly have helped if the cop in question hadn't been drinking.

We nearly had something similar in London, not fifty metres from my office, that area of the city's film and TV liaison who had been told nothing of this filming. BBC planned to film an armed robbery scene and while the crew were unloading the equipment the director and the actor, with guns in hand, rehearsed in the shop which was open for custom. A member of the public ran across the road to the nick. A Trojan crew was in the canteen having breakfast and immediately carried out a rapid deployment.

Back early in the thread I quoted the armorer explaining why there was NEVER live ammo in a set, an how dummy rounds were used in revolvers when the bullet was visible.
And how a mong making 'dummies' by pulling the charge from live ammo had led to Lee's death.
That is why there are armorers, and the unionised types rule the roost on set - to prevent this kind of tragic event.
“It’s every armorer’s nightmare. But I’ve never had an actor get hurt. You almost never hear of anybody getting hurt on set with a gun. I once packed up all my guns and walked off a set because the director wanted something done with a gun that I didn’t think was safe."

In Baldwins case though they'd been cost cutting and got rid of the unionised types, it might turn out to be an expensive mistake

who recalls this schplendid movie?
1635058208625.jpeg

In Baldwins case though they'd been cost cutting and got rid of the unionised types, it might turn out to be an expensive mistake
Sadly ironic when it's Lettie Baldwin's production. He may end up being prosecuted yet. although being propper Hollywood unless he's got several actresses to drop their kex he should get clean away.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
I'd like to see that work in the deer hunter Russian roulette scene
Pretty sure a remake could be as good. But, I'm talking about moving forward, not looking back at old movies made over 40 years ago, before CGI and big power editing suites are the norm.

Of course movie making appeared quite "realistic" in 1978, (Deer Hunter was a cracking film BTW) because it was as real as it could get, because "real" was all there was. Film directors back then didn't have the tools available to them that modern directors do.

More relevant, he's in America, where you can buy a gun in many states as readily as, and with no more training than is required to buy and use a ballpoint pen in UK.

He's a frothy anti 2A right on luvvie actor who has no interest in the tool or how to use it except as a prop in his day job. Civvy ranges and clubs in SA are very safety conscious and I'm guessing the same for the UK and most serious US operators.

Nothing to do with availability of firearms in the USA. AB likely has zero clue and has always been handed something to wave about when the script calls for it. The armourer would have the responsibility to ensure the tool was safe to use for that particular purpose and should retain custody until such time as the actor gets to wave it about and then immediately recover and make safe after.

I'd say the director usurping the armourer's role of custodian was part of the error chain, along with possibly not briefing the armourer on the shot and requirements, as well as her not up to speed on her job as armourer.

Can't expect someone known to be unfamiliar with the thing to check it for safety. In fact, knowing the level of luvvie mong it is around firearms, AB should have been watched like a hawk with zero contact with anyone but the armourer before and after the shot. Assuming the armourer was up to speed on her job in the first place.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Excluding the transsexuals again are you???
Even though we can't actually have babies, not having a womb, which is nobody's fault, we do have the right to have babies.

Oh give it a rest, Loretta...!

Latest Threads