Actor Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman on film set.

Army mama

On ROPS
On ROPs
Reports say that two people were airlifted to hospital. Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was airlifted to a hospital, where she died, while a second person, named as director Joel Souza, was also injured.

QRK2

LE
Nope, actor would assume - unless he is experienced in firearms - that all is hunky dory.
Trying to find the book and quote about Lee's shooting, and what went wrong.

Indeed, it would appear that one actor is at least aware of the basics, I'd expect most actors even US ones are more at the level of Mr Smith's colleague.

Out of interest would an actor be responsible for ensuring the weapon is safe to use when it is handed over to him or her. Will the Buck stop with him or the props team? I’m just thinking out loud with how the blame culture works.

I’ve never worked on a film set so I can’t answer the question in any real authoritative detail but I would have thought someone would be responsible for placing the weapon in the actors hand ready for use. The actor should have received training to use it though.

I’m guessing you would also have to rehearse the scene to get the angle right in the sense that the weapon looked like it was pointing at the person being shot while in actual fact, it was really not being pointed directly at the target but that’s conjecture on my part.

I wonder if Donald Trump will provide a sympathetic message to Mr Baldwin?

file-20171101-19876-1ti4kn9.jpg

Last edited:
Thoughtfully the BBC have reported the incident in Pidgin presumably to appeal to their preferred audience....

One woman don die and one man dey injured afta American actor Alec Baldwin bin shoot prop gun for one feem set inside New Mexico.

Police say oga Baldwin bin shoot di gun for di filming of di 19th Century western feem, Rust.
Dem bin rush di woman go hospital but she die from di wound. Di feem director tok say di man wey injure dey collect emergency treatment.

Tok-tok pesin for oga Baldwin tell tori pipo AP say di accident na sake of misfiring of prop guns wey bin get blank bullets inside.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Thoughtfully the BBC have reported the incident in Pidgin presumably to appeal to their preferred audience....

One woman don die and one man dey injured afta American actor Alec Baldwin bin shoot prop gun for one feem set inside New Mexico.

Police say oga Baldwin bin shoot di gun for di filming of di 19th Century western feem, Rust.
Dem bin rush di woman go hospital but she die from di wound. Di feem director tok say di man wey injure dey collect emergency treatment.

Tok-tok pesin for oga Baldwin tell tori pipo AP say di accident na sake of misfiring of prop guns wey bin get blank bullets inside.

Cnuts.

@MrMemory, thanks for ruining my day by reminding me of this retrograde step in British journalism.

Fcuking cnuts.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

I'm regretting bringing that BBC website to everyone's attention.

Perhaps there should be an Arrse pidgin version?

I’ve never worked on a film set so I can’t answer the question in any real authoritative detail but I would have thought someone would be responsible for placing the weapon in the actors hand ready for use. The actor should have received training to use it though.

I’m guessing you would also have to rehearse the scene to get the angle right in the sense that the weapon looked like it was pointing at the person being shot while in actual fact, it was really not being pointed directly at the target but that’s conjecture on my part.
A properly run and budgeted film employ armourers to supply and administer weapons used on set - from swords, bows, etc to firearms.
Cheap fly-by-night productions are known to cut corners. I'm not suggesting that this film comes under that category.

I've worked with this lot quite a few times Home | www.bapty.co.uk

I believe most large scale productions include an Armourer who is responsible for the security, repair and safe use of firearms on set.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
lengthy, but explains it better.
From Gun Guys, by Dan Baum. talking to Independent Studio Services, “the largest movie armory in the world.”

“You’re on the set with the guns?”

“Always.”

“Making sure they don’t walk away?”

“That’s part of it. I load them, put them in the actors’ hands. The director yells, ‘Cut!’ and Makeup and Hair want to rush onto the set. But in the safety brief, we make clear that nobody
moves until I gather up every gun and yell, ‘The weapons are cold.’ ”

“So an actor doesn’t go to lunch with his gun in his holster.”

Larry laughed. “Well, maybe if it’s a rubber gun.”
“Are all armorers gunsmiths?”

“No, you could have a props guy run the guns on set, but if something breaks, he can’t fix it. If you can’t fix the gun on set, you’re not really an armorer. Guns break. Actors drop them—a gun gets dropped in the mud, you have to take that one and set it aside and have a replacement, and then that night you have to take that muddy gun completely apart and clean and oil it, because they’re going to need it in the morning.”

“Do they ever use real bullets? Like if an actor is shooting bottles off a fence?” I was thinking of Warren Beatty in Bonnie and Clyde shooting bottles, then smashing the windows in an abandoned farmhouse.

“There are never, ever live rounds on a set. If you see an actor shooting bottles off a fence, there’s a charge in the bottle timed to explode with the shot.”

“So what happened with Brandon Lee?” I asked quietly, and Larry sighed. Armorers, it seemed, got asked this a lot.

What happened was,” Larry said, “it was a non-union armorer who didn’t know what he was doing and made every conceivable mistake. They showed up on the set without dummy rounds, and instead of saying, ‘Okay, let’s shoot this scene tomorrow and get dummy rounds overnighted,’ he went to a gun store, bought live ammunition, and took the rounds apart in his motel room to get the powder out. They popped out the primers, but missed one. So on the set, they shoot the scene with the dummy rounds, and then to be safe, they point the gun at the floor and click the trigger six times. They don’t hear the pop when that one primer goes off and pushes the bullet into the barrel.
"They put the gun away without checking it, and the next day they load it up with blanks for the scene. Nobody thinks to look in the barrel; if they had, they’d have seen it was plugged by the bullet. Now you have a blank in the cylinder and a bullet in the barrel—essentially a gun loaded
with live ammo. They do the scene; Brandon’s blood pack goes off like it’s supposed to, and he falls, but he’s saying, ‘I don’t feel good, it doesn’t feel right.’ They walk him over to his trailer, and they’re cleaning him up, trying to figure out what is fake blood and real blood, and in those twenty minutes he bleeds to death.”

“Yikes.”

“It’s every armorer’s nightmare. But I’ve never had an actor get hurt. You almost never hear of anybody getting hurt on set with a gun. I once packed up all my guns and walked off a set because the director wanted something done with a gun that I didn’t think was safe.

Usually for films, weapons have a miniature version of a BFA which screws into the barrel and fits inside the flash eliminator on a rifle, not certain if they're capable of actually catching rounds though. Look carefully on some war films and you'll see. (Like that shot in Platoon where the GPMG blatantly has a belt of blank on that I now can't fail to notice every time)

Maybe the filming wasn't going Alec's way and the Director was getting on his tits... He's been charged a couple of times in the past for anger management issues so the investigation will have to consider the possibility (even if it's just for shit stirring reasons by some actors who don't like him as he has rubbed a few up the wrong way) Can't just be instantly dismissed as an accident...

I mean if he can get into a fist fight in the street over someone taking his parking space he can ramp up the aggro if he feels a Director is ******* up a film and making him look bad right...?
Alec-Baldwin-Arrested-After-Fight-Over-Parking-Spot-Report.jpg

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Usually for films, weapons have a miniature version of a BFA which screws into the barrel and fits inside the flash eliminator on a rifle, not certain if they're capable of actually catching rounds though. Look carefully on some war films and you'll see. (Like that shot in Platoon where the GPMG blatantly has a belt of blank on that I now can't fail to notice every time)
Must... must... can't... M60.