Actor Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman on film set.

Now bare with me on this one. Some actor bloke making a film in America took a loaded weapon blanks or live rounds and shot a nice looking bird. Now I stress the America part being as they have almost zero to zero weapon laws how the actor bloke could not or did not check the gun before firing is very hard to understand. The second part being actor bloke has been in a fair few films with weapons in them he must have seen or been taught weapon drill at some time if not then shame on him. Will we ever know what really happened probably not well unless after some one some where get sued for it I’m sure there are shed loads of legal beagles doing their ambulance chasing

slick

LE
Now I understand why we need brown lab coat wearing perverts who know their stuff: 'I wasn't sure if I was ready': Doubts of 24-year-old head armorer
Genuinely scary reading, especially as her father was an armourer and trained her. Having rigorous safety procedures in place, and knowing the difference between loaded/unloaded firearms and live/blank rounds isn`t exactly rocket science. And the comment she made that "loading the blanks was scary" says to me that she isn`t suitable for the job by a long way.

Now bare with me on this one. Some actor bloke making a film in America took a loaded weapon blanks or live rounds and shot a nice looking bird. Now I stress the America part being as they have almost zero to zero weapon laws how the actor bloke could not or did not check the gun before firing is very hard to understand. The second part being actor bloke has been in a fair few films with weapons in them he must have seen or been taught weapon drill at some time if not then shame on him. Will we ever know what really happened probably not well unless after some one some where get sued for it I’m sure there are shed loads of legal beagles doing their ambulance chasing
You can't really blame the actor. I'd assume film productions pay good money for an expert to take care of weapons and ammunition and take full responsibility for them and how they're used.

Given how few firearm deaths happen on movie sets I'd say they are generally on point.

DSJ

LE
1634998842138.png

Having had a look it's also worth noting that in order to maintain immersion when movies contain revolvers they use dummy rounds as blanks would stand out. Also worth noting having had a quick look at movie set firearm incident's they tend to be films using revolver's.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Both Keanu Reeves & Tom Cruise have worked on action franchises requiring then to be extremely slick in weapons handling and weapons drills. It also seems to be a reflection of their work ethos that they would take this kind of thing extremely seriously.

For other actors, they might have signed onto a film requiring carrying/using a firearm with minimal prior experience & given that it is not a requirement of their job (for the most part), then putting their trust in qualified armourers & crew is not entirely unfair.

I'm not suggesting for a moment that every actor who ever has to hold a firearm (fake or otherwise) needs to go to that level, Mr Reeves apparently takes his job very seriously. Playing the role of John Wick had him using "Guns, lots of guns*"

however Brian Blessed didn't do quite as much training as Prince Vultan

*(C) Neo and John Wick

The one handed Uzi spray, or the sideways 9mm* is much more 'gangsta', innit?

* - life imitating art. The sideways shot is such that the camera can capture the weapon AND the shooter's face.
Now adopted by mongs worldwide.

I read something about failed Mafia assassination attempts in Italy. They failed because the shooters were holding their guns sideways and missed. Unfortunately I cannot find the reference.

Here is one where a crook tried to off the cop chasing him and failed somewhat bigly.

And this is why they do it:
gangsta_2.jpg

Endoscope

LE
Book Reviewer
You can't really blame the actor. I'd assume film productions pay good money for an expert to take care of weapons and ammunition and take full responsibility for them and how they're used.

Given how few firearm deaths happen on movie sets I'd say they are generally on point.
Absolutely this... he's an actor at the end of the day, all the other experts support what he does. You wouldn't expect him to run the Special Effects department and know what they do...

Both Keanu Reeves & Tom Cruise have worked on action franchises requiring then to be extremely slick in weapons handling and weapons drills. It also seems to be a reflection of their work ethos that they would take this kind of thing extremely seriously.

For other actors, they might have signed onto a film requiring carrying/using a firearm with minimal prior experience & given that it is not a requirement of their job (for the most part), then putting their trust in qualified armourers & crew is not entirely unfair.

Reeves does a training camp of at least a couple of months prior to the start of shooting(no pun intended)each John Wick movie. Apart from the firearms training in the video, he also practices his driving and martial arts such as Judo and BJJ.

As you say, its shows the kind of work ethic stars like Keanu and Cruise have. Especially since both men are in their 50's. :cool:

When you remember that most people, the vast majority of people NEVER ever get near a real firearm it's "understandable " they get fascinated , excited, OVER excited. When it's an actor that gets turned up to 11

They're not all Spinal Tap walts though

According to some bod in the industry on the news he only knows of two other firearms death on TV sets, one in 1984 when some balloonhead was playing Russian roulette with blank and Brandon Lee in 1993
IIRC, the Russian roulette one was related to a sort of MacGyver type action series called 'Cover Up'. Might have been the lead actor.

There are no words to convey my shock and sadness regarding the tragic accident that took the life of Halyna Hutchins, a wife, mother and deeply admired colleague of ours

Note how passive language is often used by perpetrators to remove responsibility.
No "tragic accident" took her life; Baldwin did.
It looks like a lawyer-advised statement but is certainly self-serving.

It will be police who will determine if Baldwin, known for his combativeness and temper, shot her accidentally or not.

Only one person responsible for the death of that poor woman: Prick Baldwin.
The Man Who Pulled The Trigger.

Last edited:

4(T)

LE
Genuinely scary reading, especially as her father was an armourer and trained her. Having rigorous safety procedures in place, and knowing the difference between loaded/unloaded firearms and live/blank rounds isn`t exactly rocket science. And the comment she made that "loading the blanks was scary" says to me that she isn`t suitable for the job by a long way.

Since its now been mentioned that it was a period revolver, I suppose there is the possibility that they used a percussion ("cap and ball") type.

In that case, they wouldn't have been using (easily differentiated) blank cartridges, but might have been loading the cylinders with loose powder and then capping them off with wads/grease, etc. That might explain her unease with what can be a fiddly job with potential projectiles.

A percussion gun would also introduce the possibility of a type of accident unique to muzzle-loaders - that of an old retained load already being in the cylinder but undetected. Ie someone loads a blank/live load over the first, then gets a surprise when the original charge is set off.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Long detailed thread from an Armourer explaining the hows and whys of firearms in film making (other posters have covered various details, but this is quite comprehensive)

Absolutely this... he's an actor at the end of the day, all the other experts support what he does. You wouldn't expect him to run the Special Effects department and know what they do...
Yet, oddly, they're experts in how we should live our lives and should listen to their words of wisdom on the climate, race relations and a whole host of scientific and social issues.