Actor Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman on film set.

As the fully accredited ARRSE theatrical props investigation team work this case, it will not become clear to them that this unfortunate death, was not a spur of the moment event.

But there will be seconds, minutes, hours and days where this could have been averted. The build up to every major incident is a catalogue of small, often apparently unconnected, disasters that ultimately conclude with the catastrophic main event.

The key, for our erstwhile investigators, is to dismiss all of the above and apportion blame, randomly, with vigour and to make a pre-emptive decision ahead of an official conclusion.

Because our team is not a cohesive unit using modern equipment with on-the-scene analysis, just individuals using old fashioned, blunt tools, bizarrely, one of them, at the end of this, will actually be correct.

It's how the ARRSE investigation teams roll.
I, Inspector Clouseau of Arrse suspect that it was a bum

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
As the fully accredited ARRSE theatrical props investigation team work this case, it will not become clear to them that this unfortunate death, was not a spur of the moment event.

But there will be seconds, minutes, hours and days where this could have been averted. The build up to every major incident is a catalogue of small, often apparently unconnected, disasters that ultimately conclude with the catastrophic main event.

The key, for our erstwhile investigators, is to dismiss all of the above and apportion blame, randomly, with vigour and to make a pre-emptive decision ahead of an official conclusion.

Because our team is not a cohesive unit using modern equipment with on-the-scene analysis, just individuals using old fashioned, blunt tools, bizarrely, one of them, at the end of this, will actually be correct.

Do I soak the cross in petrol now, or do you want me to hold off for a bit?

The gun was in his hand, his responsibility to check it. End of.
That may apply to the likes of you and I, but he's an actor. He's just required to act like he knows how to use guns. In this case he clearly didn't. They have/should have had people for that stuff.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

Just like.
As you watch this show no matter what the subject you always think “if only“ but it always ends in disaster.

Very entertaining though.

That may apply to the likes of you and I, but he's an actor. He's just required to act like he knows how to use guns. In this case he clearly didn't. They have/should have had people for that stuff.
Yep.
"Here is a firearm. It has blank ammo in it - I know, I checked.
"Hold it like this, point it like that, pull that sticky-out thing... it WILL go pop, so be ready for it"

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I remember reading an interview with a bloke who did just that, teaching actors how to use firearms and he was saying the hardest part was stopping them closing their eyes and/or flinching every time they pulled the trigger

Keanu Reeves spends a fair bit of time practicing with real weapons

Oh.... Now this seems interesting a rehearsal...
Mind you... Still doesn't excuse the armourer
FCYaWoBX0AMaF8p

AND, as has been discussed a million times on the 'Things you always see in films or on TV' thread, most 'actors', apart from sh*t berets, haven't got a clue on weapons handling.
Why? Because 'good drills' is actually boring. The one handed Uzi spray, or the sideways 9mm* is much more 'gangsta', innit?

* - life imitating art. The sideways shot is such that the camera can capture the weapon AND the shooter's face.
Now adopted by mongs worldwide.

TamH70

MIA
So he was using a cap and ball revolver per the picture in this Daily Wail "exclusive".

Which then proceeds to crap on about cartridges

FFS

Small point of order, old chap. If that really is an old Colt, maybe a .36 Army, *then it could have had its cylinder bored-through after the Smith and Wesson company lost its patent on so doing for revolvers, and thus actually be a rim-fire conversion of a percussion revolver done by Colt at their factory. On closer inspection, though, you're right - it definitely does have the mounting points for percussion caps still fitted on the cylinder.

* Wrong. It's a Third Model Colt's Dragoon that's currently housed in the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Very, very, very expensive bit of kit. But to the Daily Mail, it's just an OOOOH SHINY revolver, and thus suitable to put in an article.

Some union problems on set, breach of promises made and a fair bit of animosity. Armourer with minimal practical experience. Smacks of sabotage with a deadly outcome. :cool:

Umm, there have been accidents in the past due to poor weapons and ammunition handling e.g death of Brandon Lee.

According to some bod in the industry on the news he only knows of two other firearms death on TV sets, one in 1984 when some balloonhead was playing Russian roulette with blank and Brandon Lee in 1993

I watched Johnny Mnemonic the other week.
Mr Reeves has just gone back up in my ratings.

Now how do we get him and Gun Jesus together?

DSJ

LE
Some union problems on set, breach of promises made and a fair bit of animosity. Armourer with minimal practical experience. Smacks of sabotage with a deadly outcome. :cool:

Supposedly the armourer was Thell Reed's daughter:

It also sounds like the set was beset with issues and pre-existing concerns about safety & working conditions. Unionised members expressed concerns about lack of sleep & distance to accomodation - I saw somewhere that several were sleeping in their cars. They then turned up one morning to find out that they had benn replaced with non-union members. Sounds like a slow-burn build-up with potential disaster written all over it. One can only hope that the live rounds were there by accident rather than malice (which will be of zero consolation to anyone involved, I know).

Alec Baldwin was starring in & producing the film. If he/the co-producers are found to have been responsible for the working conditions etc then this could end up landing all over him/them.

Last edited:

DSJ

LE

Both Keanu Reeves & Tom Cruise have worked on action franchises requiring then to be extremely slick in weapons handling and weapons drills. It also seems to be a reflection of their work ethos that they would take this kind of thing extremely seriously.

For other actors, they might have signed onto a film requiring carrying/using a firearm with minimal prior experience & given that it is not a requirement of their job (for the most part), then putting their trust in qualified armourers & crew is not entirely unfair.

Latest Threads