Actor Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman on film set.

Out of interest would an actor be responsible for ensuring the weapon is safe to use when it is handed over to him or her. Will the Buck stop with him or the props team? I’m just thinking out loud with how the blame culture works.
Seriously doubt it because most have never had any real safety or firearms training. The property master team and special effects team and likely a production safety officer would be the ones being interviewed sans coffee.

I think Baldwins a total ******** but I feel very sorry for him right now to him realizing he inadvertently killed someone.

Seriously doubt it because most have never had any real safety or firearms training. The property master team and special effects team and likely a production safety officer would be the ones being interviewed sans coffee.

I think Baldwins a total ******** but I feel very sorry for him right now to him realizing he inadvertently killed someone.
Anyone handed a weapon is responsible for its safe handling.
Be it the tea girl or the highly paid actor.

If it is any consolation I successfully let rip at a Mirage jet on Lionheart in ‘84.

Traversing right to left, just above tree level, positively identified as “Orange” forces, moving at Mach fuckloads, I gave it plenty from the trusty 30mm Rarden ( complete with rapid fire headlight flashes, lots, Queen’s enemies for the destruction of) and had the gunner send a contact report “engaged and destroyed”.

There was a pause on the net.

“Definitely destroyed?” Queried Zero.

I stood on the seat of my Fox turret, leant back on my turret hatch, sparked up a Benny Hedges and took a deep, deep satisfying drag.

Pressed the pressle.

“Definitely destroyed. 22 Alpha Out”

Job done.

78A4538D-A279-4924-9B08-8487E55C855D.gif

Codified in Law where again

Y'all gotta realize the typical actor hasnt served or spent time on ranges

Why? It's a real language spoken in West Africa and the BBC World Service broadcasts in Pidgin.

West African Pidgin English

BBC News Pidgin is an online news service in West African Pidgin English that was launched by BBC World Service in 2017. The news service is based in Lagos, Nigeria. Pidgin is one of the most widely spoken languages in West Africa (with up to 75 million speakers in Nigeria) but it does not have a standard written form.
I appreciate it is a genuine language for west African types. It’s just that’s it’s identical to the way most of the nearby yoof speak …they are most definitely not of African origin.

Sorry for thread drift

4(T)

LE

TBF, there are artistic exceptions to the rule "don't point a gun at someone".

In this case, he was probably required - for cinematic effect - to shoot directly at the camera, behind which were stood the two people the bullet subsequently passed through.

Given the previous safety furores in the film industry, however, it does make one wonder why they haven't utilised offset or remote camera controls for just such a situation.

Latest reports indicate that it was an actual live round from an unmodified weapon, and not some sort of failure in a prepared theatrical weapon, ie one with an internal BFA and utilising flash powder or similar. Astonishing.

4(T)

LE
Twas a period Western so no self loaders so no need for a BFA

think Colt SAA, Winchester lever, or side by side shotty

A lot of theatrical weapons over here use an internal BFA whether or not they are self loaders. It doubles as a safety device. Realistic gunfire effects are achieved despite the partial bore obstruction by using flash powders of various compositions.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
TBF, there are artistic exceptions to the rule "don't point a gun at someone".

In this case, he was probably required - for cinematic effect - to shoot directly at the camera, behind which were stood the two people the bullet subsequently passed through.

Given the previous safety furores in the film industry, however, it does make one wonder why they haven't utilised offset or remote camera controls for just such a situation.

Latest reports indicate that it was an actual live round from an unmodified weapon, and not some sort of failure in a prepared theatrical weapon, ie one with an internal BFA and utilising flash powder or similar. Astonishing.
There seems to be some confusion that the British military term "live" and the US film industry term "live" do not mean the same thing. The latter seemingly includes blank rounds and seemingly any weapon loaded with any kind of amunition.

I wondered earlier if it was possible that a barrel blocker (internal BFA) might have been dislodged and become a projectile? Don't know enough about all the designs to understand how likely that is.

RaiderBoat

War Hero
There seems to be some confusion that the British military term "live" and the US film industry term "live" do not mean the same thing. The latter seemingly includes blank rounds and seemingly any weapon loaded with any kind of amunition.

I wondered earlier if it was possible that a barrel blocker (internal BFA) might have been dislodged and become a projectile? Don't know enough about all the designs to understand how likely that is.
That’s why we tend to wait for the investigation to be completed by law enforcement prior to all this Monday morning quarterbacking…

Oyibo

LE
Did a bit of shouting at the radio:

As noted blanks are fully capable of inflicting injury and in rare cases causing death and not to be treated lightly.

Friend of No.1 son works in film industry and tells of a near miss on one of his productions where the second unit in Eastern Europe (cheap innit) had sourced "blanks" for a big battle scene that included some bulleted training projectiles.

That only got called out by extras who had military experience.

In fairness to him, he was on the program to talk about terrorism and the question was sprung on him. So he was explaining on the fly. I'd put his level of knowledge and experience way above the majority of people who post on Arrse.

Latest Threads