Actor Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman on film set.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
am I the only one who keeps misreading the thread title as 'finally shoots woman'?

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
There was a story circulating from the mid 70's that a disaster was narrowly averted at a REME passing out parade.
It was usual to put on a small display for the families of the passing out platoon in an old drill shed.
One of the displays was an ambush on an unsuspecting platoon with a machine gun nest, an LMG as a rule.
The idea was to open up on the passing soldiers with a mag or 2 of blank ammo and make lots of noise. Luckily one of the eagle eyed recruits spotted that the mags supplied by the armourer contained live rounds and not blanks and a bloodbath was avoided.
I'm not 100% that it was only an urban myth but there was some truth to it.
It was around 75/76 I think. Any memories of it @Fiona_TG
I was REME depot at that time as well, and this is the first I have heard of it. Read into that what you may.

Thoughtfully the BBC have reported the incident in Pidgin presumably to appeal to their preferred audience....

One woman don die and one man dey injured afta American actor Alec Baldwin bin shoot prop gun for one feem set inside New Mexico.

Police say oga Baldwin bin shoot di gun for di filming of di 19th Century western feem, Rust.
Dem bin rush di woman go hospital but she die from di wound. Di feem director tok say di man wey injure dey collect emergency treatment.

Tok-tok pesin for oga Baldwin tell tori pipo AP say di accident na sake of misfiring of prop guns wey bin get blank bullets inside.

The person responsible for that being on the bbc should receive an Alec Baldwin to the face

I do recall seeing a serious dent in a landrover door after the BFA on the co-ax .30 Browning fitted to a Saladin came adrift, range will have been about 50 yards. The suspicion was that it hadn't been screwed on fully by the gunner who had never been formally trained to fit it. Because it was out of sight of said gunner it wasn't noticed unscrewing itself as he rattled off the blanks, first indication something was amiss was the cry of "stoppage" because the co-ax wouldn't re-cock itself. Second indication was a hairy arsed Rock Ape S/Sgt trying to get into the turret to throttle the gunner.

Firstly RIP to the poor woman.
But call me old fashioned and i am a never served civvie with absolutely no formal firearms training whatsoever, but if i am ever in a position that requires me to pick up anything that resembles a gun/weapon/firearm, whatever you want to call it, the first thing i do is make sure that i know what state it is in.
It takes only a moment or two, and then if you follow the basic and obvious safety rules then this tragic incident would not have happened.

It may be different on film sets, (and it should't be), but one thing i always do is always regard the weapon as loaded and lethal, without exception.

Last edited:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I tried the usual Squaddie chat up lines but she had just met this smooth talking, poncey git Hugh Grant and I was'nt in with a chance
heheheh

I was on that Jeremy Thorpe TV thing he did. My view of him changed a little...proper actor.

[ Had to laugh at his personalized number plate: V8 7HUG ]

No, contrary to what many believe, blanks are not harmless. They can kill.
I'm thinking there's a number of possibilities, all of them short of murder, and most of them not involving live ammunition. They all start with the assumption that film companies rent/lease their firearms from suppliers thereof to the trade.

The first would be that some ******** actually loaded live rounds into a blank-fire-only replica firearm, with (I assume) a barrel at least partially obstructed by design.

This (I think) would result in the firearm disintegrating violently, which could account for two casualties, of which one was near immediately fatal.​
The second would be that the ammunition used was too 'hot' for the firearm

This (I think) would result in the firearm disintegrating violently, which could account for two casualties, of which one was near immediately fatal.​
The third would be that the firearm had not been adequately cleaned, maintained or monitored for serviceability, leading to it being loaded with an appropriate ammunition type, but nevertheless failing at the moment of firing, and disintegrating, with fragments travelling at sufficient speed to to cause lethal/ near-lethal injuries to near bystanders.

The person responsible for that being on the bbc should receive an Alec Baldwin to the face
Why? It's a real language spoken in West Africa and the BBC World Service broadcasts in Pidgin.

West African Pidgin English

BBC News Pidgin is an online news service in West African Pidgin English that was launched by BBC World Service in 2017. The news service is based in Lagos, Nigeria. Pidgin is one of the most widely spoken languages in West Africa (with up to 75 million speakers in Nigeria) but it does not have a standard written form.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Why? It's a real language spoken in West Africa and the BBC World Service broadcasts in Pidgin.

BBC News Pidgin is an online news service in West African Pidgin English that was launched by BBC World Service in 2017. The news service is based in Lagos, Nigeria. Pidgin is one of the most widely spoken languages in West Africa (with up to 75 million speakers in Nigeria) but it does not have a standard written form.

BBC Pidgin is awesome, I will not hear a word against it.

About February 81, we were winter exercising. Our A Squadron were enemy. Unusually, we got 76mm blanks (and small scraps of white cam net about the size of a hand towel to hide a Scorpion under).

First exercise after years in Command Troop, I had to think hard about commander's loading drills. Only ever loaded a handful of rounds.

Advancing up a fire break, a Scimitar appeared at the other end. I ducked back into an ambush position and loaded blank. I also made sure the gunner got max elevation on the 76, cos at this range the Scimitar would be in the danger zone. Also sent a contact report. He came round the corner. BANG! Lesson learned by A Squadron cowboy not to make the Napoleonic cavalry mistake of wild pursuit

Next day I was very sharp, in the grounds of a derelict building in a village with a clear line of sight to the bridge A Squadron were going to cross.

So many buildings I knew that, never mind it was about 0600, a 76 blank would put out half the windows in the street. So, per SOP, on the W on FIRING NOW! from the gunner, the driver gave a nasty headlight flash.

The whole of A Squadron sailed by up the road, returning the headlight flash and waving back. It was about this point that I began to question whether BAOR was taking the defence of the free world seriously. 18 months later transferred out.
If it is any consolation I successfully let rip at a Mirage jet on Lionheart in ‘84.

Traversing right to left, just above tree level, positively identified as “Orange” forces, moving at Mach fuckloads, I gave it plenty from the trusty 30mm Rarden ( complete with rapid fire headlight flashes, lots, Queen’s enemies for the destruction of) and had the gunner send a contact report “engaged and destroyed”.

There was a pause on the net.

“Definitely destroyed?” Queried Zero.

I stood on the seat of my Fox turret, leant back on my turret hatch, sparked up a Benny Hedges and took a deep, deep satisfying drag.

Pressed the pressle.

“Definitely destroyed. 22 Alpha Out”

Job done.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

I too don't see a problem.

Other languages are other languages. The BBC has lots of content in other languages. That one is a bit like English. But it's different enough, and lots of people speak it.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads