Actor Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman on film set.

Army mama

On ROPS
On ROPs
I just read some awfully sad news about the actor Alec Baldwin. Apparently there was an accident with a gun loaded with blank bullets on set and he has shot and killed a director of photography. I genuinely had no idea that blank bullets could kill or do we think that it may of been loaded with a live bullet inadvertently?

I genuinely had no idea that blank bullets could kill or do we think that it may of been loaded with a live bullet inadvertently?
I doubt you could mix a live bullet up considering they look totally different. Also I'd image the props team on the set would have done the loading of bullets etc. More likely some weirdo with an axe to grind put a live bullet in a magazine which contained blanks. Unless of course the person was shot at point blank range with the gun next to their head or something.

There's been a murder - get Jim Taggart on the case.

I just read some awfully sad news about the actor Alec Baldwin. Apparently there was an accident with a gun loaded with blank bullets on set and he has shot and killed a director of photography. I genuinely had no idea that blank bullets could kill or do we think that it may of been loaded with a live bullet inadvertently?

Morning @Army mama,
Similar thing happened to Brandon Lee, son of Bruce Lee.
Snippet from 'Wiki'.
Screenshot_20211022-115757_DuckDuckGo~3.jpg

E2a: I get this when clicking on the link you provided.
Screenshot_20211022-115757_DuckDuckGo~2.jpg

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

No, contrary to what many believe, blanks are not harmless. They can kill.

Bring in Rosemary and thyme, they solved one of those, and we get Felicity.....

One report spoke of a misfire.

Might work for there being two bad casualties, chamber/barrel shattering ?

No expert, me.

Here's some more people that have been killed by blanks:

Fatal accidents[edit]​

Actors in particular are at serious risk of injury from blank cartridges used on movie sets. Several actors have been killed in such mishaps:

• Brandon Lee was killed while filming a scene for the 1994 film The Crow when a .44-caliber S&W Model 629 revolver used as prop that contained a squib load — a bullet accidentally stuck in the gun barrel — was fired with a blank cartridge, which propelled the lodged bullet down the barrel. As reported in the investigation and court records, the dummy round used during an earlier shoot were handloaded by someone other than a firearms expert, who removed the propellant powder but unknowingly left a live primer in place, resulting in a bullet being separated from the casing without enough energy behind it to exit the barrel. The gun was not properly checked for the retained bullet prior to the incident, and squib load was then blown out of the barrel by the blast energy of the blank, fatally injuring Lee.[5]
  • Jon-Erik Hexum was killed when he placed a blank-loaded .44 Magnum revolver to his right temple and pulled the trigger — the powerful shockwave from the blank cartridge caused a depression fracture to the skull, sending bone fragments deep into his brain and causing severe intracranial hemorrhage. He died a few days after the accident.[6]
  • Johann Ofner, a professional stunt double, was killed in 2017 while filming a scene for Bliss n Eso music video Dopamine in the Brooklyn Standard bar in Brisbane.[7][8]
  • A 17-year old was playing with a gun used in a St. George, Utah high school theatre program to be used in a production of Oklahoma!, and accidentally killed himself, thinking that "blank" cartridges were harmless.[9]
  • Halyna Hutchins, a cinematographer on the set of an upcoming independent film Rust, was accidentially killed when actor Alec Baldwin fired a prop gun while filming a scene in New Mexico. Director Joel Souza was also injured as well. No arrests or charges were made.

I can think of a long list of people who unfortunately exist/existed because other people did not "fire blanks".
Anyway, how tragic. Beautiful & talented.

They bodged making the blanks in that case, despite the conspiracy theories I bet it really was accidental
yep, they used a real round, the bullet got stuck in the barrel, and the next load sent the bullet into Lee.
from wiki, which confirms what I have read elsewhere.

In the scene preceding the fatal scene, the gun was loaded with improperly-made dummy rounds, cartridges from which the special-effects crew had removed the powder charges, so in close-ups the revolver would show normal-looking bullets. However, the crew neglected to remove the primers from the cartridges. At some point before the fatal event, one of the rounds had been fired; although there was no powder charge, the energy from the fired primer was enough to push the bullet into the gun barrel, where it got stuck (a condition known as a squib load). For the fatal scene, which called for the revolver to be fired at Lee from a distance of 3.6–4.5 meters (12–15 ft), the dummy cartridges were replaced with blank rounds, which contained a powder charge and primer, but no bullet, allowing the gun to be fired without the risk of an actual projectile. When the blank round was fired, the bullet lodged in the barrel was propelled forward with almost the same force as if the round were live, and it struck Lee in the abdomen.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
No, contrary to what many believe, blanks are not harmless. They can kill.
About February 81, we were winter exercising. Our A Squadron were enemy. Unusually, we got 76mm blanks (and small scraps of white cam net about the size of a hand towel to hide a Scorpion under).

First exercise after years in Command Troop, I had to think hard about commander's loading drills. Only ever loaded a handful of rounds.

Advancing up a fire break, a Scimitar appeared at the other end. I ducked back into an ambush position and loaded blank. I also made sure the gunner got max elevation on the 76, cos at this range the Scimitar would be in the danger zone. Also sent a contact report. He came round the corner. BANG! Lesson learned by A Squadron cowboy not to make the Napoleonic cavalry mistake of wild pursuit

Next day I was very sharp, in the grounds of a derelict building in a village with a clear line of sight to the bridge A Squadron were going to cross.

So many buildings I knew that, never mind it was about 0600, a 76 blank would put out half the windows in the street. So, per SOP, on the W on FIRING NOW! from the gunner, the driver gave a nasty headlight flash.

The whole of A Squadron sailed by up the road, returning the headlight flash and waving back. It was about this point that I began to question whether BAOR was taking the defence of the free world seriously. 18 months later transferred out.

Last edited:
I can only relate to the ammunition we used in the army back in the 70’s but “Blanks” aren’t a safe option in pretty much all circumstances unless the rules on using them are followed. They can still emit particles from the weapon that could cause serious harm or worse.

Even using a BFA wasn’t a guarantee of absolute safety. Hence you never pointed a weapon directly at someone even when on exercise using blank ammunition and BFA’s on a weapon.

I’m sure there are people on here who will know more precisely what the safety rules are for using blank ammunition on film sets and just how safe it is these days but there must be some element of risk and presumably actors will have received training to minimise the risk.

Rule no 1 being never actually point the weapon directly at someone!

Mr Baldwin must be feeling pretty upset at the moment. It’s a particularly crap day when you turn up to work and a colleagues life ends because of something you did even if it was done inadvertently.

Thanks for thread responses and explanations all. An updated report via the BBC news site has claimed - It was later determined that the gun used had earlier fired a round that caused a cartridge to become lodged in the barrel. When blank rounds were later fired, the cartridge was dislodged and released.
That was LEE (see above), not this incident.

Army mama

On ROPS
On ROPs
I can only relate to the ammunition we used in the army back in the 70’s but “Blanks” aren’t a safe option in pretty much all circumstances unless the rules on using them are followed. They can still emit particles from the weapon that could cause serious harm or worse.

Even using a BFA wasn’t a guarantee of absolute safety. Hence you never pointed a weapon directly at someone even when on exercise using blank ammunition and BFA’s on a weapon.

I’m sure there are people on here who will know more precisely what the safety rules are for using blank ammunition on film sets and just how safe it is these days but there must be some element of risk and presumably actors will have received training to minimise the risk.

Rule no 1 being never actually point the weapon directly at someone!

Mr Baldwin must be feeling pretty upset at the moment. It’s a particularly crap day when you turn up to work and a colleagues life ends because of something you did even if it was done inadvertently.
Out of interest would an actor be responsible for ensuring the weapon is safe to use when it is handed over to him or her. Will the Buck stop with him or the props team? I’m just thinking out loud with how the blame culture works.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks for thread responses and explanations all. An updated report via the BBC news site has claimed - It was later determined that the gun used had earlier fired a round that caused a cartridge to become lodged in the barrel. When blank rounds were later fired, the cartridge was dislodged and released.
Bless.

Methinks Beeb journos need to do some research:

il_794xN.2836454709_fr3k.jpg

Out of interest would an actor be responsible for ensuring the weapon is safe to use when it is handed over to him or her. Will the Buck stop with him or the props team? I’m just thinking out loud with how the blame culture works.
Nope, actor would assume - unless he is experienced in firearms - that all is hunky dory.
Trying to find the book and quote about Lee's shooting, and what went wrong.

Latest Threads