• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

actions in late 1945

I was wondering if anyone can help me here. A friend of mine was researching his great uncle, a L/Cpl in the Lancashire fusiliers. He died in october 1945 and my friend had always been told that he had been shot in the back while trying to help a comrade under fire. Can anyone shed any light as to what actions tha Lancashire fusiliers may have taken part in that late in 1945, as my friend always thought he had died during the second world war, but now knows different having found the grave, which is maintained by the cmmonwealth war graves commission. Records exist as to date of death etc, but he has now drawn a blank.

Where is he burried that would help work it out the ones that spring to mind wher he could have been killed in action is South East Asia (Vietnam etc) Palastine and i think Greece I know a battalion of the lancashire fusileers served in burma with the chindits and could have gone to vietnam

He is buried in Bacup fairwell cemetery, and we found the details of this on the commonwealth war graves website, but there the trail dries up. No trace of which battallion etc unfortunately.

papegojan said:
He is buried in Bacup fairwell cemetery, and we found the details of this on the commonwealth war graves website, but there the trail dries up. No trace of which battallion etc unfortunately.
His Regimental Number will be on the burial record. Armed with the info from his gravestone, his service records can be tracked down through the National Archive (To do this online, you need to sign up to a 3rd party Service Provider like Ancestry.co.uk) I think you can visit the archive in person to do the research, but I don't know if that has any advantages over the onine thing.

Also, try the Regimental Museum of the Lancashire Fusiliers, in Bury. They almost certainly will be able to say which bn was where and doing what in late 45. Google for their contact details.

There was also some pretty intense fighting going on in Indonesia at the time. I can't remember if the Lancs Fusiliers were involved, but I'll have a look.

Well if he were stationed in the Burma area the Japs had many holdouts. In the Pacific, there was apparently a second battle of Peleieu in March 1947 when 33 Japs under a Lt Yamaguchi attacked a Marine Patrol, only 150 Marines were on the island mostly defending Navy Dependents. Battles in the Phillipines continued into the 1950's.

Alternatively could he have died of wounds recieved before the war ended? I know someone who died of his wounds 9 months after being shot.

Stonker said:
papegojan said:
His Regimental Number will be on the burial record. Armed with the info from his gravestone, his service records can be tracked down through the National Archive (To do this online, you need to sign up to a 3rd party Service Provider like Ancestry.co.uk) I think you can visit the archive in person to do the research, but I don't know if that has any advantages over the onine thing.

Also, try the Regimental Museum of the Lancashire Fusiliers, in Bury. They almost certainly will be able to say which bn was where and doing what in late 45. Google for their contact details.
I have an Ancestry.co.uk subscrption if you PM me the details I'll do a search for you?

papegojan said:
Where is Bacup fairwell cemetry then?

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Before you spend money on Ancestry find out if ancestrylibrary.com is available through your local public library service.

It was not only the Japanese that held out ,Niak Nakan Gurung 1/2 Gurkha Rifles was not found in Malaya untill 10th Oct 1949 he had been on the run since Jan 1942

ugly said:
Oct 45 isnt late really, demob took an awful long time and you werent demobbed if in hospital.
There were also a huge number of fatal accidents post-VE day: RTAs, ordnance disposal, mines, bored squaddies/alcohol/firearms, etc

ugly said:
Oct 45 isnt late really, demob took an awful long time and you werent demobbed if in hospital.
My grandad was repatriated from germany in may 45 and was realeased from hospital april 46 he had been captured wounded dec 44 in italy and not given any medical treatment till he got out of the stalag he was demobed unfit for futher military service oct 46 so my money would be on this chap dieing of wounds

4(T) said:
ugly said:
There were also a huge number of fatal accidents post-VE day: RTAs, ordnance disposal, mines, bored squaddies/alcohol/firearms, etc
Theres a good book about this "To the Victor the Spoils" by Sean Longdon it gives an unvarnished picture of what the Troops really got up to

I could well be wrong but I think you will find that servicemens records post WW1 (about 1920 if memory serves) are NOT held by the National Archive.
You can however apply for them from the Veterans Agency see linky

jcm649 said:
I could well be wrong but I think you will find that servicemens records post WW1 (about 1920 if memory serves) are NOT held by the National Archive.
You can however apply for them from the Veterans Agency see linky
I'm working from memory: I thought ancestry.co.uk recently ran a promotion advertising access to WW2 veterans records(it 'stuck' in my head 'cos only about 20% of WW1 vets records survived the Blitz, and I thnk they've been digitised for a couple of years).

There is an MoD casualty reporting centre (01452 712612 Ext 7495 / 6323) that may be able to give details. The problem may be that cwgc may already have that dataand it may be sparse. unit reords and histories can help but not much id relative was in a base hospital or similar when he passed away.
Having had my Grandfathers papers passed to me it is often obvious that the WD got dates wrong by simple typos, KIA bombing mission over Germany Jan 1946 is obvious but even casualty confirmation letters could be a year or more behind the initial letter and even photos of gvraves from comrades and other relatives serving.
It cant have been an easy time. One hopes he had his own grave and is correctly identified.

Latest Threads