actions in late 1945

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by papegojan, Jun 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was wondering if anyone can help me here. A friend of mine was researching his great uncle, a L/Cpl in the Lancashire fusiliers. He died in october 1945 and my friend had always been told that he had been shot in the back while trying to help a comrade under fire. Can anyone shed any light as to what actions tha Lancashire fusiliers may have taken part in that late in 1945, as my friend always thought he had died during the second world war, but now knows different having found the grave, which is maintained by the cmmonwealth war graves commission. Records exist as to date of death etc, but he has now drawn a blank.
  2. Where is he burried that would help work it out the ones that spring to mind wher he could have been killed in action is South East Asia (Vietnam etc) Palastine and i think Greece I know a battalion of the lancashire fusileers served in burma with the chindits and could have gone to vietnam
  3. He is buried in Bacup fairwell cemetery, and we found the details of this on the commonwealth war graves website, but there the trail dries up. No trace of which battallion etc unfortunately.
  4. His Regimental Number will be on the burial record. Armed with the info from his gravestone, his service records can be tracked down through the National Archive (To do this online, you need to sign up to a 3rd party Service Provider like I think you can visit the archive in person to do the research, but I don't know if that has any advantages over the onine thing.

Also, try the Regimental Museum of the Lancashire Fusiliers, in Bury. They almost certainly will be able to say which bn was where and doing what in late 45. Google for their contact details.
  5. There was also some pretty intense fighting going on in Indonesia at the time. I can't remember if the Lancs Fusiliers were involved, but I'll have a look.
  6. Well if he were stationed in the Burma area the Japs had many holdouts. In the Pacific, there was apparently a second battle of Peleieu in March 1947 when 33 Japs under a Lt Yamaguchi attacked a Marine Patrol, only 150 Marines were on the island mostly defending Navy Dependents. Battles in the Phillipines continued into the 1950's.

Alternatively could he have died of wounds recieved before the war ended? I know someone who died of his wounds 9 months after being shot.
  7. I have an subscrption if you PM me the details I'll do a search for you?
  8. Where is Bacup fairwell cemetry then?
  9. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Before you spend money on Ancestry find out if is available through your local public library service.
  10. Lancashire. He probably died of wounds, I believe the policy was to bury the dead in the area of the conflict.
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

More than likely wounds, having driven though Bacup though I can understand why going back could prove fatal!
  12. It was not only the Japanese that held out ,Niak Nakan Gurung 1/2 Gurkha Rifles was not found in Malaya untill 10th Oct 1949 he had been on the run since Jan 1942
  13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Oct 45 isnt late really, demob took an awful long time and you werent demobbed if in hospital.
  14. There were also a huge number of fatal accidents post-VE day: RTAs, ordnance disposal, mines, bored squaddies/alcohol/firearms, etc
  15. My grandad was repatriated from germany in may 45 and was realeased from hospital april 46 he had been captured wounded dec 44 in italy and not given any medical treatment till he got out of the stalag he was demobed unfit for futher military service oct 46 so my money would be on this chap dieing of wounds