Acting rank removed

LeaG

Crow
I had my acting rank removed due to not course qualified (CLM) 12 month ago.
Booked a course with 8 months notice for CLM through PSI (reservist) only just found out this has been blocked by HQ and they are saying got to see if I come off the board but surely I have already came off the board with recommendations if I was acting? I was meant to be on the course in 12 weeks and only just found this out after chasing confirmation myself nobody bothered to tell me and need to do these specific dates hence why I booked in course so early.
Can anyone help or shed any advice on this as I think I have been well and truly screwed over.

What capbadge/trade?

You came off the board, you had 12 months to get on a clm but didn't. For whatever reason.

Unfortunately, chances are you will have to promote again.

If there are vacancies I'd like to think that they would be thrown out to expecting candidates.

Last edited:
Get your head in the your promotion AGC policy. I think @Lifeboat21 is correct, you will have to promote again before attending CLM. Can you attend CLM if you aren't wearing the rank? And I'm pretty sure APC books you on, your unit just accepts the JIs. Again I could be wrong.
There are two failings here:
Leaving your career in the hands of a reservist.
Lack of communication by your unit.
...but I don't think you've been tucked up in any way.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You need to talk to your chain of command and your RCMO.

Having had some CLM dramas myself, my understanding is that there’s nothing to stop anyone doing the courses in advance provided you’re recommended for promotion.

Having had some CLM dramas myself, my understanding is that there’s nothing to stop anyone doing the courses in advance provided you’re recommended for promotion.
Other than the capacity of the organisation delivering it. R Sigs is maxed, you get one shot then expect to lose a stripe. Obviously you can ask for deferral for injury or personal reasons, but it’s risky.

Last edited:
Other than the capacity of the organisation delivering it. R Sigs is maxed, you get one shot then expect to lose a stripe. Obviously you can ask for deferral for injury or personal reasons, but it’s risky.
If I was reading that in my civvy job I would be asking why were promoting more people than we can substantiate (or why we're banjaxing people's career progression by not providing sufficient mandatory training).

Get your head in the your promotion AGC policy. I think @Lifeboat21 is correct, you will have to promote again before attending CLM. Can you attend CLM if you aren't wearing the rank? And I'm pretty sure APC books you on, your unit just accepts the JIs. Again I could be wrong.
There are two failings here:
Leaving your career in the hands of a reservist.
Lack of communication by your unit.
...but I don't think you've been tucked up in any way.
It's an odd unit which has reservists as PSIs I took it to mean that it was organised by a PSI because the OP was a reservist.

I had my acting rank removed due to not course qualified (CLM) 12 month ago.
You don't say why you didn't attend CLM Part 1 within the 12 month timeframe of promotion to acting rank. If it was because of circumstances beyond your control (my booked course was cancelled), your CoC can ask for an extension in six month blocks (CLM Policy Handbook, Chapter 1, Para 11, a (2)).

You don't say why you didn't attend CLM Part 1 within the 12 month timeframe of promotion to acting rank. If it was because of circumstances beyond your control (my booked course was cancelled), your CoC can ask for an extension in six month blocks (CLM Policy Handbook, Chapter 1, Para 11, a (2)).
Usually when soldiers don't say why they haven't done the course, its because its their own fault.

Buddy!

Old-Salt
Usually when soldiers don't say why they haven't done the course, its because its their own fault.
Absolutely. In my experience, Soldiers are notorious for delaying their attendance on CLM related activities.

Absolutely. In my experience, Soldiers are notorious for delaying their attendance on CLM related activities.
Notorious as in too lazy to do them, or (if you’re a Reservist) because there aren’t enough days in the year to fit in mandatory CLM, career courses, training exercises, platform-related refresher training and uplifts etc. which the coc likes to think are more important?

Mr_Relaxed

War Hero
Notorious as in too lazy to do them, or (if you’re a Reservist) because there aren’t enough days in the year to fit in mandatory CLM, career courses, training exercises, platform-related refresher training and uplifts etc. which the coc likes to think are more important?
For Reservists it’s typically the latter, not enough courses and you’re then trying to juggle family and work to arrange a course date that works, competing against the other Reservists who also want those dates. You also need a PSI who’s able to navigate Other Arms CLM courses, which isn’t a given - they know their own cap badge backwards but perhaps not others.

Having recently swing to the reserves. Afaia CLM trumps ALL training. As it does in the regulars. I'm pretty sure that the JNCO and SNCO CLMs class as ACT, admittedly a short one.

Yes, the twelve month time frame is grim but it is offset by the precedence of the course.

imho you should be qualified prior to promotion. But that's a different ballgame.

Mr_Relaxed

War Hero
Having recently swing to the reserves. Afaia CLM trumps ALL training. As it does in the regulars. I'm pretty sure that the JNCO and SNCO CLMs class as ACT, admittedly a short one.

Yes, the twelve month time frame is grim but it is offset by the precedence of the course.

imho you should be qualified prior to promotion. But that's a different ballgame.
In the case of Reservists, I agree, should be qualified to promote, simply due to the domestic hoops you have to go through. If it’s important to have stripes, then you always have the option to grant local, which is what happened to me. Local rank for ADR as a way for the OC to see if I was up to it.

Was your acting rank from the results of a board or local promotion to fill a vacancy?

If the latter then you will have to wait until you are selected off a board before attempting a CLM course.

That’s certainly the case in my unit. People are now being told that they have to do the CLM within timescales as the absolute priority before ACT, AT or anything else. And they do need to be Acting in rank to attend the CLM.

^there is opportunity for non-ranked people to attend but there is little chance due to the volume of ranked folk who need the course.

Latest Threads