Acting is a talent???

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Bugsy, Dec 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So what exactly is “acting talent”? What defines this "talent"? We’ve all heard, seen and read accounts of this or that actor being "hugely, massively, incredibly talented", but what does that actually mean?

As far as I can make out, these folks in filums and on stage are just doing what we all are capable of doing on an everyday basis, i.e. faking it to gain an, ostensible, advantage.

I’m sure most folks can readily picture the scene where a shopkeeper fücks off the old dosser at the high port when he comes into his shop begging for yesterday’s buns and such, but star-turns and immediately welcomes Ms Jones from down the way with open arms and a warm smile as one of his most valued customers.

So it seems that this "acting talent" is a part of us all. But what makes an "actor” an "actor", who can command quite obscene amounts of money for, basically, doing what we all have to do to survive?

What makes the difference?

MsG

2. Say again after "Acting talent" over.

3. Who......... where :?

But while we are at it, how does appearing on some shite soap for lots of years make one a Legend :x

4. sipping meths have you?

5. Nipples as far apart as possible and ROOOOAAAAAAR!

6. "Macbeth"

7. Fück sipping meths, fella! Believe it or not, I'm genuinely interested in what make an "actor" an "actor". How do you determine that some gug like Sir Laurence Olivier is an "actor" to be immediately transported to the heights of wherever, while Sammy Ford dwells in the depths of pantomime.

What's the difference? What actually makes an "actor" an "actor"? What actually makes an "actor" a "superb actor"?

MsG

8. Say again all after "fella" over.

9. 12" penis and the ability to keep it up all night.

Although. you really should be focussing on the "actresses".

10. Aahhhhh. Hot potato, off his drawers, Puck will make amends. Ohhh.

11. You're not helping things here at all, vannnymaaany! I'm genuinely interested in what this "acting" thing's all about. What are the criteria?

MsG

12. There's a story about one particular film starring Dustin Hoffman and Laurence Olivier (I'm sure someone will correct me on any errors. The scene involved Hoffman looking particluarly hot and tired, so he went off and thrashred himself on the running track. On his return, Olivier raised his eyebrow and asked what he was doing and why. Having heard the explanation, he asked "my dear boy, why don't you just act?"

13. One can get nicked for doing that in public don'cha know :)

14. I don't know what makes a 'good' actor, but there is certainly a skill involved. Just look at the amount of 2 dimensional actor dross around and compare them with some of the 'best'.

Bugsy; my daughter is taking a degree in theatre studies (wants to be a theatre director/ producer :? ), and is bound to have the official definition. I'll ask her and get back to you. In the meantime, keep sipping the meths :wink:

15. Sorry bugs,I didn't find both of your questions too clear.However this may help?
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060720002704AAVQlHX