ACSM

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by A_Knocker_Till_The_End, Apr 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. what are the qualifying tours for this, it is not for myself as i have mine already (4+ years in province), but one of my bosses. 8O 8O

i know that it is 1080 days & the 1st gulf war counted but is there anything else that you may use toward your final total of days................telic :?: :?:

2. Here you are mate, remembered this from a post a while ago.

Here's what I could find:

THE ACCUMULATED CAMPAIGN SERVICE MEDAL (ACSM)
    0810. The Accumulated Campaign Service Medal (ACSM) was instituted to
    recognise individuals who had completed more than 36 months service
    towards the GSM 62, since 14 Aug 69. It has been agreed that service
    qualifying for the OSM and other specifically designated multi-national
    campaign medals, instituted from 1 Apr 00, may also count towards the
    ACSM. The ACSM is not a campaign medal and is worn immediately after
    the Meritorious Service Medal.

The ACSM was instituted to recognise individuals who had completed more than 36 months service towards the General Service Medal, 1962, since 14 August 1969. It has been agreed that service qualifying for the Operational Service Medal and other specifically designated multi-national campaign medals, instituted from 1 April 2000, will also count towards the ACSM. The ACSM is not a campaign medal and is worn immediately after the Meritorious Service Medal.

1. Her Majesty the Queen has graciously approved the introduction of the Accumulated Campaign Service Medal (ACSM).

2. The ACSM will be awarded for aggregated service since 14 Aug 69 in those theatres where the General Service Medal (1962) (GSM 62) with Clasp has been awarded. Currently those theatres are:

a.
    Northern Ireland
    14 Aug 69 to a date to be decided

b.
    Dhofar
    1 Oct 69 – 30 Sept 76

c.
    Lebanon
    7 Feb 83 – 9 Mar 84

d.
    Mine Clearance - Gulf of Suez
    15 Aug 84 – 15 Oct 84

e.
    Gulf
    17 Nov 86 – 28 Feb 89

f.
    Kuwait
    8 Mar 91 – 30 Sept 91

g.
    Northern Iraq & Southern Turkey
    6 Apr 91 – 17 Jul 91

h.
    Air Operations Iraq
    19 Sep 91 to a date to be decided

3. Service in respect of any future Clasps to the GSM 62 will count towards the ACSM. If and when the GSM 62 is superseded, the regulations covering its successor will make clear whether the same arrangements with regard to the ACSM will apply.

4. The purpose of the ACSM is to recognise 36 or more months of service which have qualified for a Clasp or Clasps to the GSM 62. Qualifying service for Medals which are specific to certain theatres of operations (e.g. Rhodesia, South Atlantic, Gulf) will not count towards the ACSM since such service will already have been recognised by the award of a specific Medal. Service in such theatres which is of less than the qualifying period of the award of such Medals is, for the purposes of the ACSM, void (with the exception of service in the Gulf prior to 8 Mar 91 as explained in para 2).

QUALIFYING TIME AND CRITERIA

5. To be awarded the ACSM, an individual must be the holder of the GSM 62 with one or more of the Clasps listed in para 2 (or such Clasps as may in future be issued to the GSM 62) and have completed a total of 36 months’ campaign service (which includes the qualifying periods for the Clasp(s) held). A month is defined as 30 days and part-months may be accumulated; for example, service of 87, 92 and 77 days in theatres for which a Clasp to the GSM 62 is in issue (total 256 days) counts as eight months and 16 days towards the ACSM.

6. Once a Clasp to the GSM 62 for a particular theatres has been awarded, all subsequent service (however short) in that theatre may be counted towards the ACSM.

7. Service in a theatre of operations which has shorter than that required to qualify for the associated Clasp will not count towards the ACSM unless the Clasp was awarded under the normal criteria ‘short service’; in this case, for the purposes of the ACSM, it will be assumed that the full qualifying period for the award of that Clasp was served. The exception to this rule is service towards the Kuwait Clasp of the GSM 62; those who served in this theatre for less than the qualifying period of 30 days were allowed to count previous Gulf Medal qualifying time towards the Kuwait claps; it should be noted, however, that only that period of service in Kuwait between 8 Mar and 30 Sep 91 may count towards the ACSM, even if it is less than 30 days. Similarly, where a gallantry award (in a theatre in which a Clasp to the GSM 62 is issued) to an individual who does not complete the qualifying period of service for the Clasp to the GSM 62 automatically qualifies that individual for the Clasp, it will be assumed for the purposes of the ACSM that he or she served in that theatre for the full qualifying period for the Clasp. This same principle will apply to those who are killed in such a theatre and posthumously awarded the Clasp to the GSM 62 notwithstanding the fact that the full qualifying period had not been served prior to death.

8. For example:

a. Serviceman A had served for 186 days in Northern Ireland, followed by 73 days in Dhofar. He later returned to Dhofar for 20 days, and also served in the Lebanon for 14 days and N Iraq & S Turkey for 26 days. He counts only 186 + 73 + 20 = 279 = nine months and nine days towards the ACSM (the 20 days in Dhofar count because he is already in possession of that Clasp to the GSM 62 but the service in Lebanon and N Iraq and S Turkey do not as they are less than the qualifying period of those Clasps).

b. Serviceman B had served for 33 months and seven days in Northern Ireland. He subsequently served in Dhofar where, after five days, he was awarded the Military Medal (MM) and invalided out of the theatre. His MM qualifies him automatically for the Clasp to the GSM 62 and this service is assumed for the purposes of the ACSM to have been the qualifying period of 30 days. He therefore counts 34 months and seven days towards the ACSM.

c. Serviceman C had served for 35 months and six days in Northern Ireland. He subsequently served in Dhofar where, on his 5th day, he was killed. He is automatically awarded the Clasp to the GSM 62 and this service is assumed for the purposes of the ACSM to have been the qualifying period of 30 days. He therefore qualifies posthumously for the ACSM.

9. There is no provision for the ACSM to be awarded exceptionally to individuals who have not completed the full qualifying period of 36 months’ accumulated campaign service (subject to the assumptions of notional completion of GSM 62 Clasp qualifying periods described in para 7). The holding of gallantry awards will carry no automatic entitlement to the ACSM.

10. Special arrangements apply to part-time members of the Home Service element of the Royal Irish Regiment (27th (Inniskilling) 83rd, 87th and The Ulster Defence Regiment (UDR)), who must have completed 1000 operational days on duty in Northern Ireland to qualify for the ACSM. Service in the former UDR may count towards this qualifying period.

11. Clasps to the ACSM will be awarded for each additional period of 36 months or, in the case of part-time members of the Home Service element of The Royal Irish Regiment (27th (Inniskilling), 83rd, 87th and The Ulster Defence Regiment), 1000 operational days on duty in Northern Ireland.

3. cheers fella will print this off for him & see if it helps. :p :p

probably needs all the medals he can get being a GE 8O 8O 8O 8O

4. Sparky,

what an awesome post. Having asked three times last year whether or not i was able to apply for the ACSM, and being told no, for differing reasons, i have read your post and been enlightened. (I have about 1250 ACSM days as far as i am concerned). I was informed that the initial 28 days that you serve in any theatre to qualify for that theatre or campaign medal, is not entitled to be added to your ACSM days, as you are unable to claim for 2 medals at the same time.

I read your thread the other night and went to the RAO this morn (i am at a new unit to the last time i asked the question) to ask them about my eligibility. He pulled up the requisite info, with me having a print of your post, and decided that i was eligible and that he would do the paperwork.

many thanks as otherwise i would have to wait until the next deployment to claim.

F