ACSM - Qualification

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by jg505, Jan 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ladies & Gents,

Sorry to post another ACSM question but the JPAC were freakin awful when I called them.

I did 2 yrs 8 mths service in NI, late 80s. Since then, I've not completed anymore Campaign service. However, I am soon to depart to Afghan and was therefore wondering about the ACSM.

I know that courses and R&R away from Theatre do no count but what about leave. I was on a residential tour of NI so would any leave taken out of the province be subtracted from my total days?

I've read the DIN and called the JPAC but they couldn't answer my question.

2. Qualifying criteria

The ACSM is awarded for 1080 days aggregated service in those theatres for which the GSM (e.g. Northern Ireland, Air Ops Iraq), an OSM (e.g. Sierra Leone or Afghanistan) or the Iraq Medal has been issued. An additional 1080 days is required for the award of the Clasp to the ACSM. More than 1 Clasp may be earned.

Separate criteria apply to Part-time members of the Ulster Defence Regiment (UDR) and Royal Irish (Home Service) Regiment.

Full details are laid out in DCI Gen 65/94 and, for the RAF, AP3392 Vol 4 Leaflet 2007 Annex B
  3. No leave was deducted from my 2 year residential tour.
  4. Nor my 18 months IIRC
  5. Yep. The only leave that was deducted from any of my tours was my last Herrick tour. I suppose it's because it was entered on JPA or something. All my other tours no leave was ever deducted.
  6. Any period of absence from the qualifying service of 21 days or over is taken off the total - which probably explains why some of you have had it taken off at times and not others.
  7. Gents,

Thanks for the posts. I do think it has something to do with JPA, as our movements are now supposedly better recorded.

As for leave in NI, most of the lads on 72 Sqn used to do a monthly shift that consisted of 10 days, then 10 nights then 9 days off. They even had their 30 days leave on top of that. So, in one year they could have been out of the Province for 138 days. In a 3 year tour that's over 400 days!

However, I haven't managed to find any old mates to see if they have been awarded the ACSM, hence my post on here.

Thanks for the replies.

8. I served for 8 months on an op tour of NI, followed by a further 2 years residential in NI, followed by 6 months on Op Telic. I was in my chief clerk's office today and he worked out the total dates from the theatre details section on the old computer printout. Leave wasn't mentioned on the paperwork, therefore it wasn't taken into account. As a result I've qualified (seven years too late), and the paperwork has been submitted to claim the medal.

As for your request, a 6 month tour will take you up to 3 years and 2 months, but it will depend on what dates are shown on JPA as to whether you qualify or not. (It may also depend on how your HR staff interpret those dates, and whether they actually give a fuck about you in the first place.)

I've now qualified though, and that's all that really matters. ;)

9. where you been hiding???
  10. i was going to ask the very same thing lol.... Wake up, you have missed a few wars!! :)
  11. :D A 4 year screened tour in Germany, a Balkans tour, two Falkland Island tours (worst thing ever), an Al Udeid tour and recently I deployed to establish the 2nd ALOC to Bastion, so whilst we can't be all war heroes like you clearly very brave guys, we all do our bit, :salut: oh and I am RAF after all.