ACSM - answers ??

I have received the old ACSM. The question I have is.....

Do I need to do 720 days on top of my 1080 to get a bar for my medal.

Or do I come under the new scheme where a bar is issued on the 1440th day.

I've heard talk of being issued both medals but this doesn't se right and a bit of overkill.

Can anyone help as my HR don't know the answers ??

Regards

Cheeky

Nope 2160 days prior to the introduction of ACSM 11 to get a bar for ACSM. If you already have the ACSM and clock up another 720 days you will get ACSM 11.I applied when the change of rules came out thinking I would get a bar for my ACSM (having done over 720 days on top of my initial 1080) and was pleasantly surprised to get the ACSM 11 instead.

Nope 2160 days prior to the introduction of ACSM 11 to get a bar for ACSM. If you already have the ACSM and clock up another 720 days you will get ACSM 11.I applied when the change of rules came out thinking I would get a bar for my ACSM (having done over 720 days on top of my initial 1080) and was pleasantly surprised to get the ACSM 11 instead.
I received the original ACSM back in the 90's purely for NI service. Which campaigns count towards the new ACSM?
I left in 07 having done tours in Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq and Afghnistan. Am I likely to be able to apply for the new ACSM in retrospect?

I received the original ACSM back in the 90's purely for NI service. Which campaigns count towards the new ACSM?
I left in 07 having done tours in Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq and Afghnistan. Am I likely to be able to apply for the new ACSM in retrospect?
You won't get it as you left before 2008.

Yep. I left too early to qualify for ACSM11 (and bar) but it's a nasty tacky nickel plated job(or so I hear) rather than the nice silver original so I probably didn't want it anyway.
Correct. I have both and the difference is about £320 value!

That's a lot when you're a skint Chelsea pensioner in Camden town.

Correct. I have both and the difference is about £320 value!

That's a lot when you're a skint Chelsea pensioner in Camden town.
Is this gen because the DIN says:

"Design of medal

11. The Medal remains as the former ACSM, that being it shall be circular, made of silver and bear on the obverse the Crowned Effigy of Her Majesty. On the reverse the inscription ‘FOR ACCUMULATED CAMPAIGN SERVICE’ is set within a four part ribbon surrounded by a branch of oak leaves with laurel and olive leaves woven through the motto ribbon. However, differently from the previous medal, the medal is suspended from a ribbon, one and a quarter inches in width, consisting of a central stripe of purple with two vertical stripes of gold flanked on either side by a stripe of green. This change in ribbon denotes the change in criteria."

This suggests only the ribbon has changed. Just curious as I appear to have missed out by about 4 months but am happy with my original ACSM.

I have done more than 720 days on top of the ACSM, would I have to surrender my old medal in favour of the ACSM 2011, or would I wear both? I am still serving.

cheers that was what I was thinking, but imagine trying to get that past the tailoress and the badge, is it written in a DIN anywhere?

Is this gen because the DIN says:

This suggests only the ribbon has changed. Just curious as I appear to have missed out by about 4 months but am happy with my original ACSM.
In the examples I've seen, the medal appears to be identical, just a different ribbon as you say.

In the examples I've seen, the medal appears to be identical, just a different ribbon as you say.
I have both and when I questioned the medal office regarding the missing hallmarks, they stated that it wasn't solid silver. They also informed me of the price difference.

It was changed because of Iraq and Afghanistan etc being a qualification, and the reduction in days required, it wasn't cost effective to make it in silver!..tight gits!

I have both and when I questioned the medal office regarding the missing hallmarks, they stated that it wasn't solid silver. They also informed me of the price difference.

It was changed because of Iraq and Afghanistan etc being a qualification, and the reduction in days required, it wasn't cost effective to make it in silver!..tight gits!
I'm afraid that is wrong

The ACSM11 is solid silver. It hasn't got the hallmark because of the difference in tendering processes.

The ACSM was the first campaign/Long Service medal put out to competitive tender. Ironically the Royal Mint won the tender, but because it was a private tender the medal had to bear a Hallmark.

GSM's, OSM's and LSGC's are all silver and do not bear a hallmark because it is just a standard Crown contract.

The medal office have made an assumption, difference in cost is probably down the the standard Crown contract. They don't make the medals, they just issue them. Ring the Royal Mint if in doubt.

The only difference between the ACSM and the ACSM11 is the hallmark or lack of it ( and the ribbon obviously).

If you see a shitty nickel plated one then it is a copy.

Cupro Nickel was used in the GULF Medal and the IRAQ medal and is quite obviously different to look at.

Rhodium plating has been used for the Iraq Reconstruction Service Medal, Afghanistan Civilian Service Medal, Police & Fire LSGCs etc.

So, you have got a solid silver ACSM11 - if you haven't then you probably bought it off ebay. :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Seniors 15
V Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC 10
in_the_cheapseats Army Pay, Claims & JPA 10