ACSM - answers ??

Discussion in 'Medals' started by hey-up-cheeky, Sep 12, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have received the old ACSM. The question I have is.....

Do I need to do 720 days on top of my 1080 to get a bar for my medal.

Or do I come under the new scheme where a bar is issued on the 1440th day.

I've heard talk of being issued both medals but this doesn't se right and a bit of overkill.

Can anyone help as my HR don't know the answers ??

2. you will recive the new medal after doing a further 720 days on top of the 1080 for the origional medal
  3. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

Nope 2160 days prior to the introduction of ACSM 11 to get a bar for ACSM. If you already have the ACSM and clock up another 720 days you will get ACSM 11.I applied when the change of rules came out thinking I would get a bar for my ACSM (having done over 720 days on top of my initial 1080) and was pleasantly surprised to get the ACSM 11 instead.
  4. I received the original ACSM back in the 90's purely for NI service. Which campaigns count towards the new ACSM?
    I left in 07 having done tours in Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq and Afghnistan. Am I likely to be able to apply for the new ACSM in retrospect?
  5. Bosnia and Kosovo don't count. Iraq and Afghanistan do.
  6. Thanks very much.
  7. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

8. You won't get it as you left before 2008.
  9. Yep. I left too early to qualify for ACSM11 (and bar) but it's a nasty tacky nickel plated job(or so I hear) rather than the nice silver original so I probably didn't want it anyway.
  10. Correct. I have both and the difference is about £320 value!

That's a lot when you're a skint Chelsea pensioner in Camden town.
  11. Leads me to wonder what the GSM is made of as it's not hallmarked...
  12. Cupro-nickel
  13. Is this gen because the DIN says:

"Design of medal

11. The Medal remains as the former ACSM, that being it shall be circular, made of silver and bear on the obverse the Crowned Effigy of Her Majesty. On the reverse the inscription ‘FOR ACCUMULATED CAMPAIGN SERVICE’ is set within a four part ribbon surrounded by a branch of oak leaves with laurel and olive leaves woven through the motto ribbon. However, differently from the previous medal, the medal is suspended from a ribbon, one and a quarter inches in width, consisting of a central stripe of purple with two vertical stripes of gold flanked on either side by a stripe of green. This change in ribbon denotes the change in criteria."

This suggests only the ribbon has changed. Just curious as I appear to have missed out by about 4 months but am happy with my original ACSM.
  14. I have done more than 720 days on top of the ACSM, would I have to surrender my old medal in favour of the ACSM 2011, or would I wear both? I am still serving.
  15. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

You would wear both.