ACSC Where are you?

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by Guy_Gourdior, Oct 18, 2002.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We know a new term has started, where are this years students?

2. Explain please?

At least to all those of us who have just had the SQ ladder whipped out from under our feet.

3. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

The reason that postings from Watchfield have trailed off is that this site is still blocked from their network!  This occured after some members of JCSC slagged off one of the DS (by name) about 7 months ago.  We've considered running a mirror site to get round this problem but frankly cannot be ARRSEd with the time and expense.

4. Surely there are bright sparks at Watchfield who can out-manouevre the DS.....? Lord help us all if there's not!

5. What's this rubbish about ARRSE being blocked from JSCSC??  Although I have now moved on to pastures sunnier, that's where I was first introduced to this excellent forum, and I never had any problems with posting!  There may have been some sort of block placed against JCSC students, but I don't know of anyone else there who had any problems with access or replies.

It may, of course, just be thatv ACSC 6 are totally apathetic, or maybe none of them know about ARRSE??

6. Further to my last, it appears that ACSC 6 ARE apathetic - or maybe they're just scared of relying because that will give away their alias???

If the latter, then how about some scuttlebut from the DS?

7. CGS

CGS War Hero Moderator

The 'powers that be' have decided that the site is blocked.  This means that they will have told the PFI company that manage the system (Or at least tell the system managers) that this site is to be blocked from 'in house' watchfield.

There is no way round this.

And as for the inmates on ACSC 6, I suspect (knowing quuite a few of them) that they are a little bit preoccupied (?)

8. Well, there could be.....

Just quote them:

ARTICLE 10, Human Rights Act 1998, Chapter 42

FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION

1. Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers.....

2. The exercise of these freedoms, since it carries with it duties and responsibilities, may be subject to such formalities, conditions, restrictions or penalties as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society, in the interests of national security, territorial integrity or public safety, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, for the protection of the reputation or rights of others, for preventing the disclosure of information* received in confidence, or for maintaining the authority and impartiality of the judiciary.

*provided we don't breach opsec, we're clear on that one.

9. CGS

CGS War Hero Moderator

Hang on a second,

That supposes that the users of the military system have the right to use them for purposes that we are talking about.  I think you'll find that the system owners CAN decide what information capability they provide!

It's not as if the system owners are preventing anyone from accessing the site via their own means.  Therefore it's got absolutely nothing to do with human rights.

10. Couldnt agree more, many civilian companies control access via the internet for thier staff.  This is only fair, they pay for the access.

11. Fair points.  However, if the terminal is for leisure or research i.e. it is a stand-alone "Internet Terminal" and not work-related then the Army has NO RIGHT WHATSOEVER to restrict access to certain sites.  

I recall hearing that several local authorities have been rapped over the knuckles for banning certain political parties' sites from their internet terminals.

If the Army provides Internet access, then it should be unrestricted and unbiased. :)

12. who pays for the terminal and who pays for the connection time?

If the answer to either is MOD, then they have every right to restrict access to any number of sights.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

13. Sorry, I don't see your point? :(

All I'm saying is that if the terminal is there to provide a source of information, then denying access to information a user might be searching for is censorship of the 'book-burning fascist' variety :mad:  

14. not that you are maybe been a wee bit reactionary but do you really want the fine, upstanding and easily confused leaders of tomorrow being indoctrinated in the rebel call of your "time for a change" standard! :eek:

Ahhh! cunning, now I see. ;)

15. ACSC 6 are here and ready to take you on in lively debate on all matters doctrinal!  

Apathetic we are not, just a little busy. After all, we generals of the futrure need to feather our nests at an early stage.

"No Cuff Too Tough"