Across Britain, police are behaving like gangsters

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by msr, Nov 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

2. Across Britain, police are lambasted by the sensible majority for failing to do anything to curb common problems when in fact their hands are tied by targets, red tape and idiotic leadership all of which require them to focus on easily quantifiable types of crime. When this eases off enough to allow police to crack down on common problems like public drunkenness, the liberal idiots get up steam and start whining about totalitarianism and abuse of power :roll:

I'm sure one of our resident plods will be able to inform us all how long and how much effort is required to arrest a violent suspect for being drunk and disorderly in a drink-controlled zone, cart him off to the nick and charge him. Surely confiscating his alcohol would prevent the problem developing and save officers' time and police resources?

I would much rather my local plod took alcohol off people and clobbered the odd drunk than stood by as the town centre was wrecked. People who do not share this opinion are welcome to venture into unpoliced town centres in the middle of the night when the streets are full of aggressive drunks.
  3. Only those, 'Some where over the rainbow'.
  4. I live and 'enforce' a no alcohol zone. The general rule is if the container is open, say bye bye to the amber nectar. If they are in 'control' of sealed containers, which the bobby thinks will be drunk, they too can be connfiscated and disposed of too. In reality we do one of those two, rarely and I mean very rarely do we nick anyone, only if they refuse to 'let go'. What's the point of a fine, tying up a police officer for 5 hours, if they can't pay it.

The main problem is stopping people who are visiting town, having had a few beers feeling sorry for these poor and unfortunate down and outs. This money, whether they are pretending to play a musical instrument or not, goes towards supporting this persons addiction and some people when high/pissed then robb/fleece the same people who took pitty on them.

In reality, tell the person your skint, or to get a job. I have even recently seen a well to do buisnessman through alcohol even give their new employee a 100 quid retainer.

5. Isn't busking or begging against the law? Can't a constable move beggars along?
  6. In certain areas they can get a licence, even if they don't have one on a 'public order' night we can't spare the resources. Wrong, but a fact of life.

I have even had well meaning members of the public 'pissed up' challenging the rights and wrongs of the police to remove the individuals bravery fluid.

Edited to add, two of which became that verciferous they were in the end nicked themselves for being D&D. One of which even hung onto/tried to misdirect the officers arm to protect the street sleepers winter warmer. These people are also known as, in my area at least as Kamakazi's, where they shoplift to order and are that desperate/drunk don't care if they get caught or not. Each repeated shoplifter takes a single police officer up to 5 hours, in the worst scenario, to deal with. These individuals get little punishment, if at all.
  7. Wish the cops down this way would do their jobs.

8. I must say I rarely, if ever, see the point of confiscating alcohol. Unless there is a good liklihood of disorder or crime taking place. Often some police forget that its a "power" and not a "duty" - that's an important distinction.

Personally I can't abide the hysteria surrounding "problem" drinking. Its not he alcohol that's the problem, its the prats who act like morons when they have a drink.
  9. How in heaven's name do you get alcohol home if every damned copper is entitled to take it off you? I'm virtually teetotal myself, and I regard coppers duffing violent drunks as light entertainment, but even in the southern USA States, a sealed container is a sealed container, and you're entitled to have it; even if in some areas it has to be carried in a paper bag.

The police are way out of control in this country, and the problem is they abuse the absurd powers they do have, and they don't enforce the sensible rules due to political correctness. The police priorities seem to be precisely inverted, i.e. laser radar traps on Saturday outside a school when no-one is there, or drink-driving campaigns run by an officer at 18.30 pm on a Wednesday evening to make his stats look good without the hassle of actually catching any really dangerous drivers. [Edit: both seen in my area in the last two months] I'm sorry msr, it's very easy to get me going on this subject.
  11. No-one is going to take anyones beer who has nipped to the off licence and is on their way home. In my neck of the woods, the 'street drinkers' as they are known and there is a hardcore of about 20, form a good percentage of the town thiefs to support their habit. They also pester everyone 24/7 for money and certain elements of society, such as lone women and he elderly can find the 'pistcistence' quite intimidating. The removal of alcohol can only be done in a certain geographical area, about half a sqare mile and the local populous have asked my particular farce to be more proactive in this area. In reality the removal of opened containers, usually bottles are removed from drunk, but normally law abiding members of society post 10pm for public safety reasons. We can only and rarely remove sealed containers from those who we suspect are going to drink them in a public arena. This usually on fits the street drinkers.
  12. Just what are the 'sensible' rules, and since when has enforcing law and order been seen as 'absurd?'

There may be a problem with speeding motorists on that road, and officers will be under pressure to be seen to be doing something about it.

Just what exactly have you seen, a VCP with every driver stopped, docs checked and breathed? Or someone pulled over and being spoken to?
    And lastly, what constites a 'really dangerous driver?'
  13. Been stopped by Merseyside Police Roads Policing Unit for speeding or drunk-driving, have you? That's a ridiculous opinion to hold, as you'd probably agree if you'd ever seen the damage a drunk driver can cause :roll: