Acronym Help from the 1980's

LD17

Old-Salt
I have received a copy of the TA ORBAT Review from the 1980's and it mentions a few TA Bns/Coys as "ECR Bn" or "1x Coy ECR"
Any ideas ?

Electronic combat and reconnaissance Battalion.

Hope this helps.
They were virtual soldiers? When the internet came along did it morph into certain sections of ARRSE?

Coat, taxi etc.

Equipment Carriers for the Regulars. Much like the bearer party in It Ain't Half Hot Mum

Elephant cannon resupply.

A coded way of saying ammo for 'that rifle'

Donny

ADC
Were there TA EW units in the 80s?
Nope - just 14 Sig Regt from the late 70s and 640 Sig Tp from mid 80s. Both were regular and other than occasional use of reservists who were still in the EW/Sigint business, I’m not aware of any TA capability in that period.

Nope - just 14 Sig Regt from the late 70s and 640 Sig Tp from mid 80s. Both were regular and other than occasional use of reservists who were still in the EW/Sigint business, I’m not aware of any TA capability in that period.
That's what I thought - so why would 'ECR' refer to that capability in a TA review?

I have received a copy of the TA ORBAT Review from the 1980's and it mentions a few TA Bns/Coys as "ECR Bn" or "1x Coy ECR"
Any ideas ?
A little context might help. Were these TA Bns named? In those days Bn pretty much meant Inf.

Donny

ADC
That's what I thought - so why would 'ECR' refer to that capability in a TA review?
I don’t believe it does, and the Electronic Combat piece came in later than the 80s anyway. ECR does vaguely ring a bell but like @Portree Kid i can’t think what the ‘E’ stood for in those days, if the CR does stand for casualty replacements.

Just_plain_you

War Hero
Emergency Casualty Replacement

Which was just a cover for Electric Cavalry Regiment, a secret plan between the MOD and Sir Clive Sinclair, which sadly did not come to fruition....

lert

LE
Given that the regular Electroni Combat capability consisted (and still does) of crawling up to an enemy and turning his radio off, that hardly seems surprising.

A little context might help. Were these TA Bns named? In those days Bn pretty much meant Inf.
What he said - context would be helpful as it could be a typo for BCR.

ETA: ECR is in the Air domain, as in TORNADO ECR: