Acorn Electron.

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by BryanTheMegalodon, Apr 25, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It's my father's birthday in a few weeks and I've bought him an Acorn Electron as no matter what electronic gadget I've ever bought, I always get the same They don't make them like they used too..... bollocks! He then launches into a monologue about Elite / repton and a million other games I'd never seen / experienced - until now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiFC048fWCI

I spent a day watching 70 episoes of this and have come to the conclusion that, in the early days, gaming and computers must have been so so so so much fun. Now, it's all just epxected or taken for granted. I really enjoyed watching these videos, passionately done and put together professionally. I hope some of you chaps enjoy them as much as I have.

He's 50 on the big one. I'm editing these together to make a mahooosively long Acorn electron games CD for him.

• Like Like x 1
  2. The only way a game then could get anywhere was gameplay. Far too many of them now rely on whizzy graphics. Elite was class, Frontier took it further. There is a new Elite just around the corner - I can't wait until that gets released

• Like Like x 1
  3. He never stops telling me about how he used to start his paper round at 6am but before he went he would put a casette in and load up Elite. On a good day he would get back to find it had loaded and he had an hour to play it before school. on a bad day, he'd come back to a load of error messages and just have to play Chukkie Egg instead as it only took 10mins to load up.

******* youngsters today blah blah blah blah.......

Funnily enough, he never bangs on about, well that long bangy thing...what's it called again?

4. his cock?

• Like Like x 2
  5. There are a couple of Elite PC emulators out there, free to play plug-in style.

6. Elite is the master of games.

I have a badge somewhere in my dads lock-up, once you got to Elite status you sent a code off to Acornsoft and they sent you a winged badge, cool as ****.

If he was into Elite, for Gods sake don't introduce him to Eve Online, you'll not see him for six years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

I feel old. But with your dad on this. Elite was for winners. And me mate hacked it so you could get all the things you wanted. No more spinning around trying to get in the hole.

8. Guns

1. The Royal Navy

I wanted a BBC but wos to poor so got an Electron instead.

10 PRINT COCK
    20 GOTO 10

Comedy gold

9. Guns

1. The Royal Navy

That said I used to love the action on the keyboard of the Electron. I often wonder if I could get one and hack it to be a USB keyboard for my work computer.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Guns

1. The Royal Navy

Old ******.

Like me.

I love BASIC.

I remember the effort we put in trying to hack the Elite code so we could all get the weapons etc.

You haven't lived unless you have prayed to what ever is holy to allow your tape machine to work without chewing up the prized game.

• Like Like x 1
  11. That only did

cock
    cock
    cock

if you remembered to put the quotes in. What you needed to do was put a semicolon on the end

10 PRINT "COCK";
    20 GOTO 10

so it came out

cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock c
    ock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock co
    ck cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock coc
    k cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock
    ock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock co
    ck cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock coc
    k cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock cock