Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by gunnerfalkey, Aug 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys, here is a question from a mate of mine,

I am considering joining the regs at some point, but i suffer from acne. I am currently on medication for it and it has improved majorly, but im very nervous about applying with my skin like this. Basically the question is, how many people in the army suffer from acne? Is it common? Will i be humiliated?

2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Do you mean you are spotty or have full blown, pus dripping scabby headed ACNE?

I think you need to ask about the degree of humiliation :D
  3. Well my mate is spotty, but he does not look like Merlin German. I would simply call it spotty not acne, but there you go.
  4. Just don't use your muckers razor thats in their locker layout for a quick pre-inspection shave - He will probably kill you in your sleep.

Good luck!

5. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

I have huge boils on my arse. Big red ones. Would you like to see them?

Seriously though, doesn't this come under the same category as the question about severe ecezema? In that if you are taking meication for it, it has to be assessed first and may prevent you joining until it is deemed controllable? Is it pubescent and growth related acne, or accute acne? Why not phone up a general enquiry line and ask to speak to an MO about it? There must be something about this online too, surely.
  6. Your mate yet you ask the question as the first person you spot ridden virgin.
  7. Oh those were the days... I don't envy you mate but the p1ss taking got so funny my spots cleared up...

Get stuck in and STO PICKING THEM FCUKERS!

8. No steroids. No not me it is for a friend, honest :)

He is on antibiotics for it and some cream i think the doctor gave him, can't remember the name but it was white and creamy.
  9. Oh come on! 8O
  10. Assuming this isn't a wah:

If he joins up, the improvement in exercise and diet (Even under PAYD) will probably sort him out.

In the meantime, eat non-processed foods, get lots of exercise and try having sex with girls. (Consenting sex that is!)

Should sort the hormones out!

Seriously, the exercise in particular will make a huge difference going by my experience back in prehistoric time - that said the sex was better! :D
  11. Move to the next Borough ie. Tower Hamlets.
  12. ARRSE advice never fails to amaze me! Pharmasutical companies have wasted years and millions of pounds researching how to try and cure acne when all they had to realise is that a fry up in the cook house and a few star jumps would do the trick!
  13. i spat my tea out laughing at that. ta!!
  14. Couple of points:-

1. Diet and acne are NOT related.
    2. Acne is caused by bacteria, commonly Propionibacterium acnes which we all have in varying degrees.
    3. I'm no expert but I don't think treatment with antibiotics and cream would stop your mate joining on medical grounds.
    4. Treatment for severe acne or acne that does not respond to other treatments can include medicines called retinoids. The side effects of these can be serious (liver dysfunction, skin photosensitivity). I postponed taking these as it would prevented my mobilisation on Op Telic in 2003.
    5. The best way for your mate to find out what the deal is is to start the application process and see how it goes.
  15. Tower Hamlets, Islington, the City and Acne are not related either.