ACL reconstruction: officer application

McStab

Swinger
JohnA6
Sorry, I have been away from the forum for a bit. The rules are fairly clear regarding complete ACL rupture ie no way can you join. Partial tears with full recovery may allow you to join.If you can get back to fitness without surgery it may work for you but if you have a knee injury, best advice is find a good knee surgeon and do what he/she says - worry about army service after getting the knee sorted.

The official wording is as below (P8 = unfit military service, P2 or L2 = Fit to serve)

49. Knee ligaments.
a. Candidates with any history of complete Anterior or Posterior Cruciate Ligament rupture whether managed conservatively or surgically are graded P8L8.
b. Candidates with a history of partial tears of the Anterior or Posterior Cruciate Ligament are to be referred to the sS Occupational Physician responsible for the selection of recruits.
c. Candidates with a history of partial of complete rupture of any other knee ligaments are to be referred to the sS Occupational Physician responsible for the selection of recruits
d. Candidates with slight laxity of the ACL or other ligaments without a history of injury and without any loss of function may be graded L2.

Hope this helps
Just out of interest, what do the new rules mean for someone who's already in the AR as opposed to someone who's trying to join? Hypothetically speaking (*ahem), would it matter if you've been in for years but had an ACL reconstruction a long time ago? They're not going to retrospectively apply the new rules and start discharging people, are they?

As I say, this is a purely hypothetical question...

Just out of interest, what do the new rules mean for someone who's already in the AR as opposed to someone who's trying to join? Hypothetically speaking (*ahem), would it matter if you've been in for years but had an ACL reconstruction a long time ago? They're not going to retrospectively apply the new rules and start discharging people, are they?

As I say, this is a purely hypothetical question...
don't forget the rules for those serving is different to those applying to join

JohnA6
Sorry, I have been away from the forum for a bit. The rules are fairly clear regarding complete ACL rupture ie no way can you join. Partial tears with full recovery may allow you to join.If you can get back to fitness without surgery it may work for you but if you have a knee injury, best advice is find a good knee surgeon and do what he/she says - worry about army service after getting the knee sorted.

The official wording is as below (P8 = unfit military service, P2 or L2 = Fit to serve)

49. Knee ligaments.
a. Candidates with any history of complete Anterior or Posterior Cruciate Ligament rupture whether managed conservatively or surgically are graded P8L8.
b. Candidates with a history of partial tears of the Anterior or Posterior Cruciate Ligament are to be referred to the sS Occupational Physician responsible for the selection of recruits.
c. Candidates with a history of partial of complete rupture of any other knee ligaments are to be referred to the sS Occupational Physician responsible for the selection of recruits
d. Candidates with slight laxity of the ACL or other ligaments without a history of injury and without any loss of function may be graded L2.

Hope this helps
That's my resurgent AR career fcuked then .... even if running away (or towards) was incompatible with my chosen "trade".

B@@l@cks

Much commiserations to those unfortunate enough to be biffed due to acl injuries.

On a positive note, there are other ways to make a valuable contribution to this great nation without going into the service. Volunteer organisations are always looking for enthusiastic people.

Much commiserations to those unfortunate enough to be biffed due to acl injuries.

On a positive note, there are other ways to make a valuable contribution to this great nation without going into the service. Volunteer organisations are always looking for enthusiastic people.
I can't wait until you sober up.

joeg88

Swinger
Has any one seen that Carl Froch just got into 4 para, he is quite open about having an acl reconstruction so just wondered how he has managed to get in if it's now a total bar to entry?

Yeah I understand they changed last year. But he got in this year?
Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction and service in the British Army. - PubMed - NCBI

Is your Google-Fu broken as well?

BACKGROUND:
In 2005, British Army recruiting policy was revised to permit applicants with a history of anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction (ACLR) to be accepted for an initial period of engagement.

AIMS:
To determine whether personnel with an ACLR history are more likely to be medically discharged due to further injuries and complications than those without.

METHODS:
A retrospective study of personnel commissioned or enlisted into the British Army between January 2006 and July 2009. ACLR cases were identified from personnel and medical records and were age and sex matched to randomly selected controls. Reasons for discharge were identified.

RESULTS:
A total of 69 cases and 140 controls were included. A significant increase in risk of medical discharge was found in those with ACLR (incidence risk ratio was 3.04; 95% confidence interval 1.24-7.45). Sixty-one per cent of cases experienced complications linked to their previous surgery.

CONCLUSIONS:
The current British Army policy on recruitment of those with a history of ACLR should be reviewed in terms of fitness for service and risk of foreseeable harm in these individuals.

joeg88

Swinger
I don't really understand what you mean? I understand it was a trial to see if acl could be accepted and that ended in 2015. But my question is Carl Froch has just joined 4 para so presumably went through medical last year.....he quite openly states in his auto biography he has had an acl reconstruction. Just don't understand how he got round it.

I don't really understand what you mean? I understand it was a trial to see if acl could be accepted and that ended in 2015. But my question is Carl Froch has just joined 4 para so presumably went through medical last year.....he quite openly states in his auto biography he has had an acl reconstruction. Just don't understand how he got round it.
I don't get why it's so hard to grasp. He applied, his medical records would've been looked at, and the relevant authority must've decided that it was compatible with an attempt at joining 4 PARA. He hasn't even passed P-Coy yet (if he does).

joeg88

Swinger
Yeah so then that means it's not a complete bar? That's what I was wondering as looking at joining he reserves my self but when enquirer to medical dept thy advised it is.

Yeah so then that means it's not a complete bar? That's what I was wondering as looking at joining he reserves my self but when enquirer to medical dept thy advised it is.
I can't answer as i don't have any experience or knowledge of the medical side of the application process. Maybe he got a chance because it's Carl Froch, maybe not. Only ones will know are the medical staff that approved his application.

I can't answer as i don't have any experience or knowledge of the medical side of the application process. Maybe he got a chance because it's Carl Froch, maybe not. Only ones will know are the medical staff that approved his application.
It's like herding cats, isn't it?

Apologies to @The_Duke in advance.

I suppose it all comes down to the following, not necessarily in this order.

1. When did Carl apply to join?
2. When did Carl complete his OMQ?
3. What was the result?
4. Did he have to appeal?
5. If he had to appeal, how many attempts did it take?
6. When did he appeal?
7. Was a 203 required?
8. If yes, when was the 203 submitted?
9. When did he get his RGMD cleared?
10. When did he attend AC?
11. When did he attest?

When did he 'join' 4PARA?

I'm just curious. None of this will effect you by the way, as it has already been established that your previous medical history is a bar to service. Sorry.

joeg88

Swinger
Well if they happily let someone in "just because it's Carl Froch" it prob does effect me....Dont think they would have a leg to stand on. don't really understand what's so wrong with the question I asked? He was still pro fighting in 2016 so very much doubt he would have gone for reserves. I was just interested if he has managed is there possibilities to appeal or get a waiver. I will be going as a professional qualified soldier so know appeals sometimes get upheld

Well if they happily let someone in "just because it's Carl Froch" it prob does effect me....Dont think they would have a leg to stand on. don't really understand what's so wrong with the question I asked? He was still pro fighting in 2016 so very much doubt he would have gone for reserves. I was just interested if he has managed is there possibilities to appeal or get a waiver. I will be going as a professional qualified soldier so know appeals sometimes get upheld
My comment about being Carl Froch was more facetious rather than a statement of fact, which i thought was clear. If you think it has any effect on you, then you're placing far too much importance on someone else's application in relation to yours.

How about stop schimpfing, give an application a whirl and see what happens with it. Jump through any hoops required and if you go through and get accepted, happy days. If you don't, take it on the chin and move on. Good luck to you.

Latest Threads