Acid attacks, time for more severe punishments?.

and some money invested into our police forces
so that these scum are more scared of the police than other gang members
Not sure how more money would have stopped this.
They will never be more scared of the police than other gang members. For all our protection the police have to abide by the law. Or would you like a South American Police force?

Not sure how more money would have stopped this.
They will never be more scared of the police than other gang members. For all our protection the police have to abide by the law. Or would you like a South American Police force?
I'd like the prisons to bcome hell holes not rest camps, that would go some way
to sorting the problems out

Baglock

On ROPS
On ROPs
I'd like the prisons to bcome hell holes not rest camps, that would go some way
to sorting the problems out
As satisfying as that may sound there is zero evidence to support the idea that hellish prisons are more of a deterrent.

What about those sent down for lesser crimes who have the capacity to reform? Won't such conditions turn them off from the right path forever?

As satisfying as that may sound there is zero evidence to support the idea that hellish prisons are more of a deterrent.

What about those sent down for lesser crimes who have the capacity to reform? Won't such conditions turn them off from the right path forever?
I'd like to make prison a place where you don't want to go to twice,

I'd like to make prison a place where you don't want to go to twice,
As far as I can tell from the available evidence, the principal deterrent factor is the likelihood of getting caught, penalty is secondary as long at it isn't derisory. Harshness of conditions tertiary. If the little scrotes know that they are unlikely to get caught, or they'll get an ASBO or a service order, then they won't worry too much about what things are like in stir.

As far as I can tell from the available evidence, the principal deterrent factor is the likelihood of getting caught, penalty is secondary as long at it isn't derisory. Harshness of conditions tertiary. If the little scrotes know that they are unlikely to get caught, or they'll get an ASBO or a service order, then they won't worry too much about what things are like in stir.
You are right, I would like to see corporal punishment brought back, but not
capital punishment.

That could be because there isn't much deterrent at the moment. If the little cnuts ever went to a harsh prison, they might think twice about committing minor crimes again.

That could be because there isn't much deterrent at the moment. If the little cnuts ever went to a harsh prison, they might think twice about committing minor crimes again.
Essential to that though is that they get caught, and that most of the people they know who tried the same stunt also got caught...

We used to hang people for stealing bread. That had a marked effect on the crime rate, it was a definite deterrent to the other people who watched the hangings. Until they too were up there waiting to be hung. Murder in the UK must have been non existent when hanging was the deterrent.

There's some sick bastards out there. Forfeiture of their entitlement to all human rights state benefits on release from any custodial sentence they may be awarded. No entitlement to tellys, mobiles, or other creature comforts plus being on starvation rations whilst inside might focus their twisted minds. ..and definitely no "conjugal rights" visits. Prison should be a such grim experience that they won't want to repeat it.

We used to hang people for stealing bread. That had a marked effect on the crime rate, it was a definite deterrent to the other people who watched the hangings. Until they too were up there waiting to be hung. Murder in the UK must have been non existent when hanging was the deterrent.
People stole bread because it was that or starve, nowadays there is a safety net for everyone.

As crime still happens despite us having prison as a deterrent, should we bin prisons?

Also, the murder rate has gone up since the abolition of the death penalty.

Essential to that though is that they get caught, and that most of the people they know who tried the same stunt also got caught...
It might not put them off until they get caught, but after that maybe the recidivism rate would fall once they realise prison really is shit.

Death penalty for all crime, to be carried out within 10 minutes of sentence. No appeals. RTA offenders to be executed at the side of the road.

What? Is the world short of people or something?

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Both Sky News and BBC are reporting a three year old has been badly injured in what police believe is a deliberate acid attack.

The human race is f*cked, isn't it?
I really do wish, at times, that perpetrators caught in the act of such a crime could suffer the "eye for an eye" principle.

It might not put them off until they get caught, but after that maybe the recidivism rate would fall once they realise prison really is shit.
One of my flying students on the Isle of Man was a prison officer at the old Douglas prison.
I remember him telling me that the only “ normal” people he had in were the fraudsters, you could chat with them. All the rest seemed to have a block in the understanding of cause and effect, ie I’m not banged up in here because it’s a small island and I’m a repeat offender who uses the same MO so I’m going to be top of the list of suspects. No..........It’s that coppers fault, he’s allways picking on me!
The only one he thought they may of turned around was a young lad ( son of the Ramsey scrap man) who was lifted and on remand on a drug ( possession with intent to supply) charge, first offence.
Whilst in Douglas awaiting trial, it was unclear if he would serve on the island or over here. Two of the prison officers took him to one side in a cell and explained to him in great detail the life that would await him as a fresh faced good looking lad in Walton nick. It must have had an effect as his brief pleaded guilty and stressed that his client showed remorse and wanted to serve his sentence on the island. He was quiet as a mouse for his 2 years and never darkened there door again.