Achtung! Achtung! We Have Ways Of Making You Talk.

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer
Having recently joined The Twatter, I was pointed towards a podcast by the historian James Holland and the comedian Al Murray called “We Have Ways Of Making You Talk” about all things WW2.
It really is quite good, IMHO, almost like two mates chatting away about a shared interest over a couple of beers.
Obviously James Holland knows his stuff because that’s his job, but Al Murray is also full of all kinds of information and knowledge. I would heartily recommend it to the Arrserati.

edit; I listen to it through Spotify but other “outlets” are available.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Holland writes readable books, but in large numbers - including (to my amusement) Ladybird books.

1594581476653.png

He does that by doing his research in earlier books by other authors - not by original research. So you won't find new perspectives in Holland's books - just recycled ones.

That said, you can't blame Holland. He makes a full time living out of being an author/talking head - and you can't do that unless you churn books out. He wouldn't make a living if he researched every book in the archives.

Wordsmith

Having recently joined The Twatter, I was pointed towards a podcast by the historian James Holland and the comedian Al Murray called “We Have Ways Of Making You Talk” about all things WW2.
It really is quite good, IMHO, almost like two mates chatting away about a shared interest over a couple of beers.
Obviously James Holland knows his stuff because that’s his job, but Al Murray is also full of all kinds of information and knowledge. I would heartily recommend it to the Arrserati.

Terrible accent those buggers.

I've been ploughing through on the dog walk, and its good entertainment. There's been quite a few genuine laughs.
It can go a bit wonky at times when they touch upon something you do know about, and they either make a semi-horlicks of it, or get the wrong end of the stick, but that's life really.

dockers

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
Holland writes readable books, but in large numbers - including (to my amusement) Ladybird books.

View attachment 489237

He does that by doing his research in earlier books by other authors - not by original research. So you won't find new perspectives in Holland's books - just recycled ones.

That said, you can't blame Holland. He makes a full time living out of being an author/talking head - and you can't do that unless you churn books out. He wouldn't make a living if he researched every book in the archives.

Wordsmith
@Wordsmith In this podcast, he describes researching in archives in America... and he’s been up in arms on Twitter about the National Archives restrictions to 6 documents.

dockers

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer

They also run a Patreon group (The Independant Company) for £5 plus £1 VAT, you get a live feed on Thursday evenings with James and Al, and discussions within the group. Currently doing a view along to Band of Brothers, too.

Latest Threads