ACF wearing C95 to school?

Discussion in 'OTC and ACF' started by the_beer_man, Oct 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a curiosity question really.

I work around Tonbridge and Tunbridge Wells. Every Friday I see swarms of kids going to school wearing thier C95 (usual state of cadet dress, absolute crap. But I digress). Last Friday a saw swarms of them boarding a coach, presumably for some kind of half term camp. My question is I can understand last Friday as they was all on coach and moving by 0900. But why the uniform every other Friday? Also, why the hugh scale of them at this school? It's a big posh school in Tunbridge Wells so would it be some kind of school related thing? I grew up in London so never saw anything like this and was never part of the cadets so don't have any clue as to what it's about.

Not a really important question but one that's bugged me since I've seen it (not a lot happens during my day you see.)

Thanks, TBM.
  2. Some ACF units are running detachments during school hours. There is one up North that I know of. Mainly to encourage mostly ruckuss teenagers who wont go at night during usual parade timings.
  3. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Am trying to remember back to my schools days, we definitely wore our CCF uniforms to school instead of school uniforms on the day of CCF, but that was because it started straight after school.
  4. I suspect it is the schools CCF and it is their Field Day in which the kids are cadet for the whole day.
  5. There's a school near me which runs CCF after school one day a week. The kids, and the staff who run each detachment, wear 95 all day.
  6. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

As others have said it is likely to be a CCF unit not ACF as it is school based. The CCF activities are probably run during or immediatly after school time, some schools allow the cadets to wear uniform all day, others insist they change. My school used to make us change, but it was during the 90's when the home grown terrorist problem was a bit more prevelant.

7. It is not unusual for schools with CCF Units to ask that the order of dress for their members on parade days is C95's, and it may well be that some ACF School units have adopted the same.

There are 80,000 Cadets through the nation, and I personally see no reason why they should not be seen, and certainly that they should have no need to hide away :)

Some of these young people will make up a fair proportion of our Services in the future, (and should they join, they have low fall-out rates through basics, and tend to do well); others will have had the advantages of structured youth activities, and also some knowledge and understanding of the roles of armed forces, and I see this as good :)
  8. I remember when I was 13 year old little walt with delusions of cadet grandeur. One "mufty" day where all the kids paid a pound to charity to wear their own clothes, I decided to wear my 95s and a wooly pully. I got bullied to ****! Life lesson learned...
  9. some schools also allow it on armed forces and remembrance days
  10. Why didn't you just ask someone there?
  11. The Combined Cadet Force (CCF) is a Ministry of Defence sponsored youth organisation in the United Kingdom. Its aim is to "provide a disciplined organisation in a school so that pupils may develop powers of leadership by means of training to promote the qualities of responsibility, self reliance, resourcefulness, endurance and perseverance". It is not a pre-service organisation, although it acknowledges that one of its objectives is "to encourage those who have an interest in the services to become Officers of the Regular or Reserve Forces", and a significant number of officers have indeed had experience in the CCF. Prior to 1948 cadet forces in schools existed as part of the Officers' Training Corps framework, but in 1948 the Labour government founded the Combined Cadet Force as a separate entity on the grounds that the previous name was deemed elitist.

Taken from wiki, hope that clears it up
  12. C95? You were lucky, we had to wear Battle Dress on CCF days. If we were lucky, KF shirt and denims.

Kids at the posh school used to buy their own No2 Dress.

Did anyone else shop at the ACF shop on Buckingham Gate?
  13. We never went there, used to get some bits by post. There was always someone who had their little catalouge. I think it was called Cadet Supplies.
  14. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

Yeah, because it's not like a bunch of walty half-lives with nothing better to do that debate the finer points of whether soldiers should salute ACF/CCF horrificers because they actually do hold a commission (sort of) need a wiki extract to tell them what the CCF is all about.

Unless there's a thread about having your knob loppeed off in favour of having a plastic clopper inserted where your gonads should be, and trust me, I don't want to see one, I fail to understand exactly how that "input" helps. But thanks for sharing.
  15. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

My experience of the ACF is that generally the cadets are fairly well turned out but like the TA and the Regular Army there are a few scruffy fukcers.