Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

ACF Rank real?

I can't be arsed to look it up, but I thought the SCC was independent?

The SCC, is IIRC guided by, but not funded, by the MOD (or not to anywhere the same extent as the ATC and ACF.)

or, to put it another way, using cliches:

The MOD funds the ACF and ATC to a higher degree, and therefore 'he who pays the piper calls the tune'

Having seen the dearth of choice offered by the baby Andrew and Baby Crabs, we get the best deal. My cadets subs are a fiver a month. The local ATC£18 and the SCC £15. On top of this their cadets have to buy various uniform items that we in the ACF issue FOC. Recently we have recruited a few ex-cadets from these local units who say that they don't do anything except bag packing to raise money for the minibus and aggressively demand subs are paid. Does that sound familiar?

You were correct to say 'arlight Sir' as the rank structure is exactly the same as the TA and the Regular services. The ACF, CCF, ATC and Sea Cadet Adult Instructors are governed by the MOD and as such the rank structure is in place and should be followed as such. With the Cadets that hold rank, there Cadet rank should always be preceeded with the work 'Cadet' to diffrernciate between Adult instructor and a Cadet. so you would address a RSM Cadet as 'Cadet RSM' or a SSM as 'Cadet SSM' and with the Adult instructors it will just be 'Sir' depending on your rank. But don't feel like an idiot as you were very correct in the way you addressed the SSM. Hope this helps.

You do know that the question you are responding to was asked over 6 years ago don't you?
I think that saying cadet RSM or cadet SSM or cadet (insert rank) is not only a mouthful but also rather patronising and a bit pointless, everyone knows who's who.
At the end of the day sir or ma'am or corporal or sergeant are just words, i don't know why some people get so hung up about it. It is not usually difficult to spot who the throbbers are in an organisation and some of those i have to refer to as sir or ma'am are just such. Others are the very best of people. Anyone with an iota of common sense and perception knows which is which and no amount of pips or stripes can garner instant respect. It is earned by ones actions and demeanour.