Acf pft/cft?

Discussion in 'ACF' started by Tartan_Terrier, Oct 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was wondering if there is such a thing? And if so what the standards are? The reason I ask is that my son has decided that he wants to start getting fit for the Army (though he's got years until he can join), and would like to have some standards he can aim to beat. As he's only 11 I'm not sure that the regular PFT is suitable, but I thought perhaps there might be something in the ACF syllabus that he could use.

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. local atheletics club?
  3. Joining a running club would probably be the best way for him to get results, but I don't think it's really him just yet. Maybe in a year or two though.

I was considering just scaling the PFT down (to 2/3 or 3/4) if I can't find anything ready made. Does that sound sensible?
  4. you don;t have to join the local ac but htey could perhaps assist in what the young lad should be doing... or hashing?

8 and 11 year old cross-country runners - Running/Jogging

some info there... and one of the posters reckons that a kid shouldn't run more than 1 mile at a time. Some pretty respectible times in there mind.
  5. The APC Syllabus does include a sport 'module', but there's no strict times or standards that have to be met.

We might well be doing it wrong, but at both detachments I've been at, we've done 'Sport' (can't call it PT apparently) once a month throughout their star progression, and kept the results of tests such as bleep test and upper body strength, and providing they show a progressive improvement as the months go on, they are awarded their star pass.

That said, I've never seen anyone failed on a star pass because of this. DCs like as many star passes as possible, so once the more 'compulsory' star passes are ticked off, I would be doubtful that any DC would hold on of theirs back from their next star because their fitness hadn't improved!
  6. The (ex-Regular) OC of my Para badged ACF detachment introduced an unofficial in-house BFTstyle evaluation for those wanting to train with 10 Para. We were given the opportunity of occasionally joining them on exercises but only after we had shown that we could hack it.

I understand that that this was quite unusual within the Hants and IOW.
  7. PAT tests. (Physical Achievement Tests) are part of the ACF syllabus at all star levels. Showing Improvement is the pass standard, not the improvement or achievement itself.
  8. And how many cadets haven't clocked that the easiest way to achieve this is to struggle through a press up and then walk the bleep test / run on the first go, so that unless you completely mong the second attempt, you can't fail to improve? None.
  9. That has got to be the most immature and unknowledgable post in the history of ARRSE.
    Despite the last thirteen years of 'there are no losers, you all get medallions' of the labour party, kids will always strive to beat each other. To suggest otherwise, displays your your own unathletic skills, and a wish that you could have had the benefit of a cynical mind of a thirty odd year old, rather the a mind of an innocent young teen.
    I put it to you, sir, you don't have the wishes of innocent kids, close to your heart.
  10. Never said that all of them put it into practice did I?

But what it does say is that the less-motivated lard-arse facebook-whores of the unit have no disadvantage over the hard working, self-training members of the unit, as the course is based on improvement and no set standards, and thus the easiest way to improve is to do badly to begin with.

So quit with the 'all AIs are fat **** paedos' thing and jog on. I didn't make any statement whatsoever about the actual attitudes or practices of the cadets, only the slightly 'bent' opportunity that such a system gives them.
  11. :thanks:

Oh dear, sometimes the only reason I take my foot out of my mouth is to slap it on the keyboard and post a load of nonsence.
    As a soon to be Dad again, at the grand old age of 45, I put it down to my paternal instincts where every child is a saint, and not a wind up merchant.[Nothing to do with a few glasses of apple juice]
    Carry on regardless, and ignore the cheap sniping from the sidelines.:salut:
  12. Stick to running at a slow pace, but getting the miles in the legs. I would be very reluctent to introduce weight as his body is still growing, he could scupper any chance of joining if he damaged his body at this time of his life.
  13. Don't put weight on him AT ALL. Although he could do hill walking when he is a little older (DofE starts around 14) providing (IRRC) you keep the weight below 30% of his body weight.
  14. I wasn't planning on giving him any weight to run with. I wouldn't even recommend that if he was an adult.

I've taken him to a few 5k races, as he thinks that's more fun than just going for a run around the area where we live, and they've went okay for the most part. He's still struggling with concept of running at anything other than full speed, which means that he'll belt off into the distance then die after about 1k, but if I can keep him jogging slowly he can run the whole distance.
  15. There are standards, but they aren't obligatory; in fact it's just part of the D of E syllabus that's been written into the APC, so has to be open to all abilities. You can do any D of E approved physical activity, but do it properly with regular participation over a sustained period; a one off blast to count pressups 'n situps to put on a test sheet is missing the point.

Adults ought to participate on the same basis too, unless they have a note from their mum.

Tartan, if your sprog has an interest in the green stuff go chat up your local careers office or look online for pre recruit fitness programmes. You'll have to modify to suit, but it'll be good for quality if not quantity.