ACF Instructor Medical Categories

Afternoon all,
I've recently applied to join the ACF as an adult instructor. However as I was medically discharged I am wondering if there are any medical reasons why I might not be accepted.

I have asked the person I've been in touch with about joined and was told there are 3 medical categories, could someone expand on this and explain what the three different categories are?

I think you may have been misinformed. I am unaware of any medical sub categories and looking at some instructors, you'd have to be clinically dead to fail the medical.

Maybe this will help. I don't know if it is right. I'm not ACF but I was browsing and colleague looked over my shoulder, made a very insulting reference to ACF C**** and immediately came up with this info:

Doctors are invited to certify that each applicant belongs to one of the following four categories:

Category 3. Fit to take part in outdoor activities of an Adventurous nature compatible with the supervision of children and young people. Has the stamina to endure strain and fatigue related to such activities. Able to hear sufficiently well to perform such duties. Able to see to handle and shoot weapons and drive a motor vehicle. Is emotionally stable.

Category 2. Fit to take part in outdoor activities as stated in Category 3 but with some limitation(s). The degree of limitation(s) should be stated by the doctor. Is emotionally stable.

Category 1. Fit for sedentary and routine work. Able to walk at least 2 miles a day, can stand for moderate but not prolonged periods. Able to hear sufficiently well to perform such duties. Able to see to drive. Is emotionally stable.

Category 0. Below minimum Category 1 standard. Unfit for ACF service.

Funny old world isn't it?

By the way. I'm working quite a long way away and he is the only other Brit in the office today. As the septics say 'Go figure'.

Last edited:
Maybe this will help. I don't know if it is right. I'm not ACF but I was browsing and colleague looked over my shoulder, made a very insulting reference to ACF C**** and immediately came up with this info:

Doctors are invited to certify that each applicant belongs to one of the following four categories:

Category 3. Fit to take part in outdoor activities of an Adventurous nature compatible with the supervision of children and young people. Has the stamina to endure strain and fatigue related to such activities. Able to hear sufficiently well to perform such duties. Able to see to handle and shoot weapons and drive a motor vehicle. Is emotionally stable.

Category 2. Fit to take part in outdoor activities as stated in Category 3 but with some limitation(s). The degree of limitation(s) should be stated by the doctor. Is emotionally stable.

Category 1. Fit for sedentary and routine work. Able to walk at least 2 miles a day, can stand for moderate but not prolonged periods. Able to hear sufficiently well to perform such duties. Able to see to drive. Is emotionally stable.

Category 0. Below minimum Category 1 standard. Unfit for ACF service.

Funny old world isn't it?

By the way. I'm working quite a long way away and he is the only other Brit in the office today. As the septics say 'Go figure'.
Really? I've seen people who would have been invalided out of the sally army taking part in courses where one of the prerequisites was "being fit enough to take part in physical activity". If there are such medical caveats I don't think they are well promulgated.

I can't comment or contribute. This really was a quite random moment of synergy. Possibly the only man in country who might know this came into the room as I casually browsed this thread. He had a down on cadets, as he made very clear, but still came up with this info.

Right out of my pay grade. Sorry

I have met an ACF instructor with a missing leg, one with an artificial hand, one who was deaf and wore a hearing device that attached to his head with magnets, more clinically obese instructors than you would believe possible and several who suffer from terminal stupidity. Some of them were bloody good instructors.

I have met an ACF instructor with a missing leg, one with an artificial hand, one who was deaf and wore a hearing device that attached to his head with magnets, more clinically obese instructors than you would believe possible and several who suffer from terminal stupidity. Some of them were bloody good instructors.

I'm familiar with some these I have met in the ACF. in act quite a few ex servicemen who medically discharge usually opt to join the ACF so they can continue to serve in one way or another in uniform.

The ability to keep up with Cadets is more important than your previous service skill set.

Last edited:
Oh dear..........and you mean there is such a thing as a physical requirement for AI's in the ACF?

I recall a paragraph in the CCF(Army) Officer's medical certificate which had to be signed off by a GP that was something along the lines of:

Must be is possession of all four limbs (this requirement may be waived on occasion).

Last edited:
I recall a paragraph in the CCF(Army) Officer's medical certificate which had to be signed off by a GP that was something along the lines of:

Must be is possession of all four limbs (this requirement may be waived on occasion).
Was that back in 1940?

And it was all going so well!

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N OTC and ACF 16
K OTC 9
P OTC and ACF 11