ACF Instructor application

Evening all...........

I recently applied on-line to become an ACF Instructor. I subsequently attended an "informal chat" and that all went OK and I've now been invited back for 1 night over the forthcoming, 3 consecutive weeks. I've been told this is to "complete paperwork". At my initial chat, I was told that once the paperwork has been processed I will need to attend some training sessions.

Can anyone please explain what the the exact process is going forward, so I know what to expect? Are there set timescales to complete the paperwork / training?

I am aware that this has been raised on here on previous occasions, but I am looking for an answer that currently applies. I don't want to assume that a reply form 2014/15 still stands.

Many thanks.

Counties tend to differ in how they do this but there are timescales. Training is in modules that need to be completed in order. Some prior service in cadet, regular and reserve forces can mean you won't be required to do certain modules, but again, there are timescales involved, so for example, if you were a 4* cadet 20 years ago, this won't count, but if it was in the last 3 years it might. It's all written down in the manual of Army Cadet Force regulations. Make sure somebody checks it for you.

If you are lucky and can do all the modules you could be an SI in 6 months or thereabouts. However you must complete the training within 2 years or you will be struck off strength.

When you next go and chat, bring your questions with you.

If they are following national guidelines, you should, have an informal interview, invited to a familiarisation W/E (Formal), then you will join. You have up to 2 years to complete you probationary period (Can be done quicker), which involves around 9 weekends, followed by a 1 week course. Then you will considered an instructor on Junior cadets.

I too am partially through my application process. After completing the necessary paperwork such as DBS and Security clearance I have been invited to attend a selection weekend. This weekend consists of Team based tasks, a small presentation and an interview amongst a few other things. Following this weekend the directing staff will make the final decision on whether we are suitable to be instructors.

I've recently left the Army in the last couple of months and I am considering the ACF.

What (if any) training waivers are available for those transferring from the Army?

I
What (if any) training waivers are available for those transferring from the Army?
Like many things, it's Commandant's discretion. Putting aside the ACF specific training such as safeguarding, you should be waived through elements such as nav and first aid as long as you can demonstrate competence to the level required. You probably won't find the process much quicker due to when the weekends are offered, but you won't need the same county based training in between them that a pure civvie would.

You can expect your form filling session to be heavy going. You can get caught out on minor details such as address and postcode of your GP. Dates of jobs and qualifications, etc. If you can take along all the records that you could possibly find, then it will help to look up minor details. Even then, don't be surprised to find you have to phone someone to ask a question or two. Expect to offer a couple of people who could provide you with references, which will then be taken up, in writing and in confidence. Essex ACF send out a form with the first question being: "Would you trust this person with your children?" You will need to arrange a medical with your GP, which isn't very demanding, but he/she has to declare you fit enough to look after Cadets. Work history will be looked at. Any driving convictions? Have you been a bankrupt? And of course there's the forms to fill in to apply for a CRB (or current equivalent) check. Not to mention bank details for getting paid. Plus you need to complete the forms to apply for SC (basic security vetting). It then takes a while afterwards for the references, medical, SC and police check to come back so it's best not to create any extra delay to begin with. I've probably overlooked something because there's much more than you would expect.

So remember to take along with you, every piece of information you can find, because you're certain to have to consult it.

Security vetting is now online and takes an hour or two. DBS is currently paper based but going online. Don't forget you get the DBS certificate and you need to get it to Bn HQ so they can log it. It gets returned to you afterwards.

You can expect your form filling session to be heavy going. You can get caught out on minor details such as address and postcode of your GP. Dates of jobs and qualifications, etc. If you can take along all the records that you could possibly find, then it will help to look up minor details. Even then, don't be surprised to find you have to phone someone to ask a question or two. Expect to offer a couple of people who could provide you with references, which will then be taken up, in writing and in confidence. Essex ACF send out a form with the first question being: "Would you trust this person with your children?" You will need to arrange a medical with your GP, which isn't very demanding, but he/she has to declare you fit enough to look after Cadets. Work history will be looked at. Any driving convictions? Have you been a bankrupt? And of course there's the forms to fill in to apply for a CRB (or current equivalent) check. Not to mention bank details for getting paid. Plus you need to complete the forms to apply for SC (basic security vetting). It then takes a while afterwards for the references, medical, SC and police check to come back so it's best not to create any extra delay to begin with. I've probably overlooked something because there's much more than you would expect.

So remember to take along with you, every piece of information you can find, because you're certain to have to consult it.
SC for ACF? That sounds like monstrous bollcks, unless I suppose ACF get some security updates from time to time.

Apologies if this is a daft question but if you already hold SC clearance can this be transferred to an ACF application as I believe they last 10 years?

WM

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Unfortunately, I am not the authority on SC and DV vetting so that decision is out of my hands.

It's easier by far to just fill in the forms and let the admin take it's course.

I suspect that having been SC once before, getting it a second time will be straightforward. For ACF this is just one part of the process to screen Adult Applicants. On a practical level they are more interested in screening out Criminals, bullies and pervs.

You would SC again unless you were transferring service
Apologies if this is a daft question but if you already hold SC clearance can this be transferred to an ACF application as I believe they last 10 years?

WM

You complete another SC application online, however they do ask if you have been vetted before during the process.

You also have a DBS check.

WM

You definitely used to be able to transfer SC between organisations, however my experience of this was before the introduction of the electronic application system.

When I left the TA and joined the ACF as an instructor, I had to do a new SC - even though I was in date, and my old admin sent the cert number and details to the ACF admin.
However, as most of it is online now, this should not be an issue.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
the_mars_bar_kid ACF 17
K OTC 9
Mincer OTC and ACF 69