ACF Drill

#1
Regards guys, ok - just moved to the ACF as a PI after been a cadet in the ATC. Naturally the drill is diferent and adapting is making my head spin. The main thing i'm having issues with are the new words of command.

Does anyone have a full list of ACF Drill commands? Perhaps from the Drill Manual - i understand certain aspects of the Cadet Training Manual are resticted, so just the Drill manual is necessary.

a website link or if anyone has a copy on their PC ask me for my Email via PM and send it to me. Cheers guys.

Also if anyone has any advice for helping me adapt to the new drill system, please post them here.
 
#2
Ask your ACF version of the CSM / RSM or get a Drill Instructor to thrash you around the square for a couple of hours, Im sure you'll get the hang of it then!

Joke to one side they should have a copy of the Drill Manual to hand.

Stilts
 
#3
STILTS said:
Ask your ACF version of the CSM / RSM or get a Drill Instructor to thrash you around the square for a couple of hours, Im sure you'll get the hang of it then!

Joke to one side they should have a copy of the Drill Manual to hand.

Stilts
I've been handed a copy of an old tatty Training manual - its missing crucial pages, so i could really do with an electronic cop. I'm **** like that
 
#4
Or you could get yourself on the drill course in Catterick!

Stilts
 
#5
do your ITC before you start teaching cadets from the manual. it's a lot easier that way and they'll teach you a lot of the things like words of command as well as instructional technique.

don't want to go teaching them wrong now, it'll only make it twice as hard to teach them right later.
 
#7
I've allready seen some right Gems come up.

On dismissing final parade the command "Fall out and go home" was issued.

needless to say I had words.
 
#8
Ethers said:
I've allready seen some right Gems come up.

On dismissing final parade the command "Fall out and go home" was issued.

needless to say I had words.

Is there a difference between ATC and ACF drill? Are you doing heavy drill or light drill ?

As a PI I would advise you take a back seat and watch what goes on. You need to be mature about it and not get too involved to early. IF you have questions dont be afraid to as the other instructors at the unit. You will get ripped to bits if you ask a silly one on here!

Saying that, my best advice is to give a drill instruction like you would a fire control order. I will give an example, obviously excuse the fact that you cannot hear me so i will have to express this in text.

Clear, Loud, As and order, Pauses. (Heavy drill)

Squad (clear and sharp) Will move...... to the right..... in 3's..... Rightttttttttttttt...... Turn.

The dots i have used were to represent the ammount of time between words, make the second to last word as long as you can to give the little darlings time to consider what it is your about to ask them to do. The final word should be quick and sharp in delivery.

Hope that helps with technique anyway.


- Edited for mongness-
 
#9
Ethers said:
Does anyone have a full list of ACF Drill commands? Perhaps from the Drill Manual - i understand certain aspects of the Cadet Training Manual are resticted, so just the Drill manual is necessary.

a website link or if anyone has a copy on their PC ask me for my Email via PM and send it to me. Cheers guys.
The Drill Manual is now available on Armynet - you should be able to get yourself an account there and then you'll find it via the Reference Portal.
 
#10
Idrach said:
Ethers said:
Does anyone have a full list of ACF Drill commands? Perhaps from the Drill Manual - i understand certain aspects of the Cadet Training Manual are resticted, so just the Drill manual is necessary.

a website link or if anyone has a copy on their PC ask me for my Email via PM and send it to me. Cheers guys.
The Drill Manual is now available on Armynet - you should be able to get yourself an account there and then you'll find it via the Reference Portal.
cheers Idrach, sadly i can't see any way of ACF Instructors gettig accounts. :( bad times
 
#11
Walt_waltberg_walterton said:
Ethers said:
I've allready seen some right Gems come up.

On dismissing final parade the command "Fall out and go home" was issued.

needless to say I had words.

Is there a difference between ATC and ACF drill? Are you doing heavy drill or light drill ?

Clear, Loud, As and order, Pauses. (Heavy drill)

Squad (clear and sharp) Will move...... to the left..... in 3's..... Rightttttttttttttt...... Turn.
.
there is no such thing as heavy drill.
 

maninblack

LE
Book Reviewer
#12
Army, RN and RAF drill are slightly different. The ACF follow the Army Drill Manual. There is no such thing as ACF drill but the myth persists and certain incorrect actions pass on like a pox through poor instruction.

The words ........"But Sergeant So and So said that The ACF do it like this" should lead to a swift kick in the trousers for Sergeant So and So who is usually a 19 year old ex cadet corporal with an inhaler and a bad attitude.
 
#13
therealbigdizzle said:
Walt_waltberg_walterton said:
Ethers said:
I've allready seen some right Gems come up.

On dismissing final parade the command "Fall out and go home" was issued.

needless to say I had words.

Is there a difference between ATC and ACF drill? Are you doing heavy drill or light drill ?

Clear, Loud, As and order, Pauses. (Heavy drill)

Squad (clear and sharp) Will move...... to the left..... in 3's..... Rightttttttttttttt...... Turn.
.
there is no such thing as heavy drill.
In the cadet world they often refer to Drill as Heavy drill, i am well aware of all things drill thank you very much. That is mainly due to the fact that light drill does not exhist in the cadet world and the only drill in their manual is Drill of the non light variety ie 'Drill'.

Often units with a LI capbadge (rifles etc) will teach Light drill, but in those cases cadets should also be taught Drill. You try telling a cadet which type of drill he / she is doing without saying heavy or light and see what happens.

Does that explain why they refer to it as Heavy drill ?
 
#14
Im ex crab, now in the TA. The only differences in raf and army drill were these.


Raf "Attention" Army "'Shun"


Raf right dress, the arm is bought up parralel to the ground on the front rank, its not the done thng in the army

About turn on the march used to be "Check TLV" in the army its "check, lrl"

Cant think of any others right now.
 
#15
Walt_waltberg_walterton said:
therealbigdizzle said:
Walt_waltberg_walterton said:
Ethers said:
I've allready seen some right Gems come up.

On dismissing final parade the command "Fall out and go home" was issued.

needless to say I had words.

Is there a difference between ATC and ACF drill? Are you doing heavy drill or light drill ?

Clear, Loud, As and order, Pauses. (Heavy drill)

Squad (clear and sharp) Will move...... to the left..... in 3's..... Rightttttttttttttt...... Turn.
.
there is no such thing as heavy drill.
In the cadet world they often refer to Drill as Heavy drill, i am well aware of all things drill thank you very much. That is mainly due to the fact that light drill does not exhist in the cadet world and the only drill in their manual is Drill of the non light variety ie 'Drill'.

Often units with a LI capbadge (rifles etc) will teach Light drill, but in those cases cadets should also be taught Drill. You try telling a cadet which type of drill he / she is doing without saying heavy or light and see what happens.

Does that explain why they refer to it as Heavy drill ?
it still means you're teaching cadets terminology that doesn't exist.

you can actually call it, without using incorrect terminology, 'All Arms Drill'

All Arms Drill refers to the drill that you are incorrectly calling 'heavy drill'. There is no heavy division - so why heavy drill?

furthermore, the LI didn't do 'light drill' - it was a trademark of the Light Division carried into the Rifles by the Royal Green Jackets, not the LI.
 
#16
polar69 said:
Im ex crab, now in the TA. The only differences in raf and army drill were these.


Raf "Attention" Army "'Shun"


Raf right dress, the arm is bought up parralel to the ground on the front rank, its not the done thng in the army

About turn on the march used to be "Check TLV" in the army its "check, lrl"

Cant think of any others right now.
My bold... Oh my streaming eyes. That truly is the funniest thing I have read on ARRSE in a long time!

The only differences in raf and army drill... Bwa ha ha ha stop it - you're killing me!
 
#17
therealbigdizzle said:
Walt_waltberg_walterton said:
therealbigdizzle said:
Walt_waltberg_walterton said:
Ethers said:
I've allready seen some right Gems come up.

On dismissing final parade the command "Fall out and go home" was issued.

needless to say I had words.

Is there a difference between ATC and ACF drill? Are you doing heavy drill or light drill ?

Clear, Loud, As and order, Pauses. (Heavy drill)

Squad (clear and sharp) Will move...... to the left..... in 3's..... Rightttttttttttttt...... Turn.
.
there is no such thing as heavy drill.
In the cadet world they often refer to Drill as Heavy drill, i am well aware of all things drill thank you very much. That is mainly due to the fact that light drill does not exhist in the cadet world and the only drill in their manual is Drill of the non light variety ie 'Drill'.

Often units with a LI capbadge (rifles etc) will teach Light drill, but in those cases cadets should also be taught Drill. You try telling a cadet which type of drill he / she is doing without saying heavy or light and see what happens.


Does that explain why they refer to it as Heavy drill ?
it still means you're teaching cadets terminology that doesn't exist.

you can actually call it, without using incorrect terminology, 'All Arms Drill'

All Arms Drill refers to the drill that you are incorrectly calling 'heavy drill'. There is no heavy division - so why heavy drill?

furthermore, the LI didn't do 'light drill' - it was a trademark of the Light Division carried into the Rifles by the Royal Green Jackets, not the LI.
CTC Frimley, the Cadet training centre have faced the issue of cadets and instructors turning up from 'Rifles' capbadged units not knowing 'All arms drill' they from day one are incorrectly taught Light drill so to distinguish seeing that you are possibly talking to 15 year olds that lack the grey matter they do refer to All arms drill as Heavy drill. I am not teaching cadets anything, but I don't disagree that the terminology does not exist in any training manual.

It is a cadetism and one that is used to help them understand. Its not the regular army and there lies the difference.
Seeing that I made an error when I said that the LI capbaged units were the cause of this, I hold my hands up I was wrong as I know little about the LI or even the Rifles (I have never been a part of either).

I'm willing to provide you with the number for the RSM or ACI at Frimley if you feel the need to continue questioning me, it is not my terminology. Nor it is something that I have taught or encouraged, simply something that I had explained to me during a discussion.
 
#18
Track_Link said:
polar69 said:
Im ex crab, now in the TA. The only differences in raf and army drill were these.


Raf "Attention" Army "'Shun"


Raf right dress, the arm is bought up parralel to the ground on the front rank, its not the done thng in the army

About turn on the march used to be "Check TLV" in the army its "check, lrl"

Cant think of any others right now.
My bold... Oh my streaming eyes. That truly is the funniest thing I have read on ARRSE in a long time!

The only differences in raf and army drill... Bwa ha ha ha stop it - you're killing me!

Okay, the only differences apparent to me, bearing in mind the only drill I did after passing out was in front of the boss with no beret or on Rememberence parade.
 
#19
Walt_waltberg_walterton said:
Clear, Loud, As and order, Pauses. (Heavy drill)

Squad (clear and sharp) Will move...... to the left..... in 3's..... Rightttttttttttttt...... Turn.

The dots i have used were to represent the ammount of time between words, make the second to last word as long as you can to give the little darlings time to consider what it is your about to ask them to do. The final word should be quick and sharp in delivery.

Hope that helps with technique anyway.

I do hope you are joking!!!

Are you one of those cnuts that have the squad facing the Retire, then tell them to move to the left - right turn!?!?!


Talk about confuse the fek out of the squad.
 
#20
Carlos_Hathcock_II said:
Walt_waltberg_walterton said:
Clear, Loud, As and order, Pauses. (Heavy drill)

Squad (clear and sharp) Will move...... to the left..... in 3's..... Rightttttttttttttt...... Turn.

The dots i have used were to represent the ammount of time between words, make the second to last word as long as you can to give the little darlings time to consider what it is your about to ask them to do. The final word should be quick and sharp in delivery.

Hope that helps with technique anyway.

I do hope you are joking!!!

Are you one of those cnuts that have the squad facing the Retire, then tell them to move to the left - right turn!?!?!


Talk about confuse the fek out of the squad.
Not at all im just a mong who wrote the wrong word :D see origional post for editing! Thank you for pointing out the error of my ways! haha..
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mincer ACF 57
armycadetinstructor The Training Wing 5
ging-gwar The Intelligence Cell 0

Similar threads

Latest Threads