ACF Commission whilst serving as TA SNCO

HVM_Boy said:
I heard that if you become an Officer in the ACF, you can transfer directly into the regs after one year.

Is this true?
Correct. You can go into the SAS too. No need to do selection. You're an ACF Officer, and that's classed as special forces already. :D

walt_of_the_walts said:
HVM_Boy said:
I heard that if you become an Officer in the ACF, you can transfer directly into the regs after one year.

Is this true?
Correct. You can go into the SAS too. No need to do selection. You're an ACF Officer, and that's classed as special forces already. :D
Now that sounds like a plan!!! :) ;)

Seriously, I stand corrected by all these testimonies. My apologies (I just wish my County would accept it :( )

Freebie - it's £57 a day for a 2Lt

dumb question time:

just an interest question really as a cadet commission is a group b commission. Is there some way to convert it to group A on joining the TA or do you have to start off right at the beginning and go through selection.

I dont mean as in swap berets and just start but is it the same as joe off the street.

Nutter said:
dumb question time:

just an interest question really as a cadet commission is a group b commission. Is there some way to convert it to group A on joining the TA or do you have to start off right at the beginning and go through selection.

I dont mean as in swap berets and just start but is it the same as joe off the street.
Well considering that a group A officer may one day have to lead Soldiers on operations, not just run a youth organisation (Before you start I was a DC when i left the ACF) I fcuking hope not.

It has happened (with some success actually). I doubt most of us would make the transition very well though.

you can't just convert a type B to a type A.... really doesn't work like that

SLS1179 said:
Thanks SLS! Think I need to push for Lt Col slot... just found out our CO is on £150!!! 8O (Wouldn't be so bad if he had any quals - apart from stacks of enthusiasm - to bring to the party!!... but he does make a nice brew and buys the biccies!)

Old_Gregg said:
Nutter said:
dumb question time:

Well considering that a group A officer may one day have to lead Soldiers on operations, not just run a youth organisation (Before you start I was a DC when i left the ACF) I fcuking hope not.
Thanks just wondered, now I know that it makes el jack difference.

freebie said:
SLS1179 said:
Thanks SLS! Think I need to push for Lt Col slot... just found out our CO is on £150!!! 8O (Wouldn't be so bad if he had any quals - apart from stacks of enthusiasm - to bring to the party!!... but he does make a nice brew and buys the biccies!)
I know - rank is all a bit time dependant in the CCF. Bit of a sweeping statement but kinda holds true. you do need certain quals to get to captain, but after that it's about who can hold out the longest and has the ambition and time to do the CO job.

how are u finding life in the CCF?

SLS1179 said:
Its not that difficult !. No idea about Cadet commissions work but - OTC OCdts do exactly the same TACC at RMAS as Gp A TA but come out with a Gp B Commission.

On moving to a TA Gp A unit all that is needed for an ex OTC Officer with a Gp B Commission is the normal inter-unit transfer process ( Form 535) and the new COs confirmation that they are up to standard - They will not have done any CBRN training in an OTC for example, they will then have their Commission confirmed. I believe they no longer teach the old "Module 5" upgrade course after RMAS that covered CBRN etc.

As for Mobilisation liability theoretically Gp B do have a liability in the "war of national survival" type scenario but TA Regs state that cadet forces officers will not be mobilised to serve with the cadets. The rest of Gp B - OTC, NRPS etc CAN theoretically be mobilised.

HVM_Boy said:

Is this true?
Whaaaaaaaa

SLS1179 said:
how are u finding life in the CCF?
It is an experience, lol. We are very lucky in that our SSI is spot-on - fresh out of the regs, so we are on a similar wave length. The CCF staff are made up of 'old boys' and a few keen staff (others just look at us like we're mad!... which we probably are, hehe!).

Still not keen on kids teaching kids weapons though! 8O

Rules are made for breaking and broken they have been! You cannot be a non comissioned rank in the "One Army" (TA) and be a cat B (TA) Commisioned officerin the ACF see emphasis on TA. You can't even be an AI and SNCO unless of course you are NRPS.

Ubique

SLS1179 said:
Very much depends on previous mil experience of the person wanting to do that. I can confirm that it has been done, furthermore same person has since returned to the Regular Army. Lots of courses and appropriate training required though.

You can hold a commission in the ACF whilst holding Other Rank in the TA.

Our Cadet Administrative Assistant is a Lieutenant in the Cadets and a WOII in the TA and nobody has a problem with it.

As for converting commissions I am currently neck deep in the process.

If you attend and pass a Cadet Force Commissioning Board you become a 2LT in the cadet force.

If you wanted to be an officer in the TA or Regs you need to attend and pass the new Army Officer Selection Board. After which you have to attend Sandhurst for 3 weeks for the TA or 44 weeks for the Regs.

I am goin on a Cadet Force Commissioning Board in April to get my Cadet Commission but my ultimate aim is the join the Regs which means that I will have to attend the AOSB and pass to get into Sandhurst. That means that I have to resign my Cadet Commission and then go to Sandhurst to get my Regular Commission.

I hope this might answer peoples questions

cobin25 said:
You can hold a commission in the ACF whilst holding Other Rank in the TA.

Our Cadet Administrative Assistant is a Lieutenant in the Cadets and a WOII in the TA and nobody has a problem with it.
As for converting commissions I am currently neck deep in the process.

If you attend and pass a Cadet Force Commissioning Board you become a 2LT in the cadet force.

If you wanted to be an officer in the TA or Regs you need to attend and pass the new Army Officer Selection Board. After which you have to attend Sandhurst for 3 weeks for the TA or 44 weeks for the Regs.

I am goin on a Cadet Force Commissioning Board in April to get my Cadet Commission but my ultimate aim is the join the Regs which means that I will have to attend the AOSB and pass to get into Sandhurst. That means that I have to resign my Cadet Commission and then go to Sandhurst to get my Regular Commission.

I hope this might answer peoples questions
1000% wrong, you cannot be both a Commissioned Officer and SNCO or any other non commisioned rank for that matter.

Ubique