ACF/CCF Officer Training

Discussion in 'ACF' started by BenCampbell, Jan 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi I have a few questions about becoming an ACF Officer. Firstly I am quite new to the recruitment/requirements of ACF officers so I have a few questions.

1. What are the requirements to become an ACF officer? i.e Age, etc
    2. How long are is the training to become an ACF officer, and would it coincide with a job?
    3. Is an ACF Officer the same as a CCF (for schools) Officer? If not what are the differences.
    4. Any other information on training would be great i.e, length, what its like etc?

Thanks guys, Ben.

2. Hope this helps Ben

PS Why do you want to be an "Officer" in a youth organisation; do you suffer from low self esteem, acne and B.O?

PPS You might want to contact the Mods and get your handle changed as you may not wish to be readily identified.

3. Not a bad start point is the national site- which will give you an idea of the organisation of the ACF and the commitment of the MoD to its continuing success as one of the prime youth organisations of the nation.

Volunteer with us | Army Cadet Force

The ACF has 45,000 cadets and around 8500 Cadet Force Adult Volunteers; and the Cadet Forces, ACF, CCF, SCC and ATC in total have around 131,000 cadets with 25,000 adult volunteers overall. (CCF is around 35,000 I believe).

Don't be too put off by some of the flack you may get on here asking; there are some plonkers as adults in the ACF among the majority of hardworking decent men and women from various walks of life and previous experiences, including a good proportion of ex Regulars, who run or help run good units and assist a lot of young people to confidence through achievement of set goals; though there will, as any other organisation unfortunately have a proportion of those in it for the wrong reasons. The newer selection processes are better at sorting out plonkers than before, but as with the TA and the Regular Army, the odd plonker gets through!

The ACF has improved and continues to improve its adult training with time, but to learn more of that you need to get talking to the national contact line or a County HQ.

Volunteer with us | Army Cadet Force

CCF are better apporoached school by school, as they are still very much individual units based within schools, usually though certainly not exclusively staffed from school staff, though schools are supported, as are ACF Counties, by brigade staff.

4. First off.

CCF.

Run by schools often in school time. So if you have a job, you may find this route difficult. Likewise, CCFs generaly recruit from within their school (they are essentially a stand alone unit) because of this very reason, which can make it difficult for an 'outsider' to break in. ALthough it does happen. You may have to have something 'spectacular' to bring ot the table.

ACF.

Pop down to your local det. Join as a Potential Instructor.
    Attend RAW (recruit Adult Weekends) and the otehr training that will come in house.
    Attend AITC (Adult Instructor Training Course) run by a Cadet Training Team. Regular soldiers who will teach, test and assess you. You can fail this course BTW.
    Get your SI (Sgt stripes with ACF underneath not Sergeant, Sergeant Instructor).

From here you can start moving to Officer sort of things. Gain range quals, SAA instr or move on to your AI course for promotion to Staff Sergeant Instructor.

Most people, unless they are really in to it, prefer to stay as SIs and SSIs. You can still command a det and get teh various courses you may find enjoyable.

I find ACF officers are better than most CCF officers. This is because they can mature as an SI, rather than straight in at officer for CCF. The CCF has no non-officer ranks with the exception of the Sgt or SSgt School Staff Instructor (also abv to SSI) or, very occaisionally, other non commissioned ranks. Civvie Instructors (CI) normally abound.

5. As Chocolate Frog has said ,In principle ACF and CCF officers are exactly the same (type B commission etc ),after initial recruitment stages they attend combined courses together.
    His comment with regard to the standard of CCF officers against ACF officers is in my opinion correct, many CCF officers are not given time to absorb the info required to ever be at the standard of their ACF counterparts.All courses run for the ACF are avaliable to the CCF but I have found that there is a tendancy for most CCF officers to leave all qualification heavy activities down to the school staff instructor and the few experienced staff they may have.

I joined my CCF as its training officer after serving in the Regular Army and TA (and ACF for a short period)mostly due to convenience of location and because Mrs SLP works as a teacher there.
    It is very rare but not unheard of for outsiders to join these organisations but as Chocolate Frog said ,you need to be able to offer them something immediatley.
    I came ready made and qualified so it was no real gamble for the contingent commander and also offered additional new sponsering unit links for the army section.

If you do choose to go down the route of becoming a cadet force officer with the ACF just ensure you take every training and development opportunity you can (the ACF and regular army cadet training teams are very good at this)and that you are in it to develop the kids and not your ego.

6. simple answers (pretty sure they are accurate)

1. What are the requirements to become an ACF officer? i.e Age, etc

For officer - min 21-52 (IIRC)
    For instructor - 18-50

2. How long are is the training to become an ACF officer, and would it coincide with a job?

depends on the person - you have to complete the ITC and (will get the DVD out and check later) I seem to recall a minimum service of 2 years (reg/TA service counts) - training is weekends/evenings with courses being 1 week.
    then a Weekend at Westbury for your board (pass/fail)

3. Is an ACF Officer the same as a CCF (for schools) Officer? If not what are the differences.

In terms of Commission - yes - they are both Class B TA commissions - however CCF officers do not attend Westbury as I recall.
    In terms of reputation and ability (personal experience) ACF officers look smarter and are more experienced/able - but maybe I've only met mong CCF Officers since I was a cadet (my CCF officers were almost all serving Regs)

4. Any other information on training would be great i.e, length, what its like etc?

The ACF is currently changing its Adult training process, making it longer, but (IMHO) more flexible - under that system it could take up to 2 years before you are a fully qualified instructor. (you can look at the ACF magazine from Autumn 2011 for the info here : Publications | Army Cadet Force )