ACF banned from carrying weapons on Remembrance Day

I do remember, through the mists of time, that as a young CCF (Army) cadet, we stood at reversed arms (Lee Enfield No 4s) in our school (in1965 )throughout the remembrance service. Never since.

How dare you, I never for one minute implied it was all about my son.......I'm standing there tomorrow to honour my family who fought in the past, and to be proud of my son who will fight in the future.........I merely made a comment that the PC brigade are wrong to assume cadets shouldn't carry arms.......why shouldn't they? Its what my son will be carrying should he see active service......

The bloke you are drivelling at will be sitting there in a wheelchair.

Why?

Because he lost 75% of his limbs as an EOD officer in AFG.

Along with the RLC's Golden Boy, he's one of the two bravest men that I've ever had the honour to meet.

Now after you've looked those acronyms up you can come back and bloody well apologise to him.

Effing civvie.

Last edited:
Back in 2005 I took three platoons from AFC Harrogate to Skipton for the VE Day parade. Four cadets formed the honour guard for the Memorial and did a very good reverse arms with drill purpose No4s, no doubt specially sourced for the occasion. Other than that I’ve never seen cadets parade with weapons and never did it myself back in the day when dinosaurs still roamed wild.

Back in 2005 I took three platoons from AFC Harrogate to Skipton for the VE Day parade. Four cadets formed the honour guard for the Memorial and did a very good reverse arms with drill purpose No4s, no doubt specially sourced for the occasion. Other than that I’ve never seen cadets parade with weapons and never did it myself back in the day when dinosaurs still roamed wild.
Seven years in the Duke of York’s and we never went on parade with weapons (apart from the JUOs, but I’m not sure swords count in this context).

Rifles are carried at the cenotaph in London.

When I was in cadets I only ever saw 4 senior cadets (usually one from each of ACF, ATC, Sea Cadets and Royal Marine Cadets) carry them as the Quarter Guard at the Cenotaph.
Likewise. I cannot remember ever carrying rifles in public as a cadet, except for the quarter guard. In the days of No 4 Mk1 Lee Enfilelds.

We did, when I was a cadet, at the behest of our deeply suspect CO, parade with DP 303s once. Unfortunately the usual message about making sure breakfast was eaten had been ignored.

The parade ended with me holding an armful of weapons while their erstwhile owners had a lie down.

Not a good look.

Last edited:
Twenty years of reserve service, and the only people who carried weapons at Remembrance were the Colour Party, on those occasions when we paraded the Colours at the Canongate Kirk.

Seven years in the Duke of York’s and we never went on parade with weapons (apart from the JUOs, but I’m not sure swords count in this context).
Likewise, eight years at Queen Victoria School (most ceremonial done outside CCF), and no parading with weapons - other than the Highland Bagpipe, obviously ;)

...although the Highland Dancers were occasionally seen with swords, I suppose...

Last edited:

endure

GCM
Our school CCF (in the 60s) used to do drills in the playground with Lee Enfields every Friday after school.

Dredd

LE
The ACF doesn’t belong to the army....it’s a military themed youth organisation
At the risk of drifting off-topic - Not strictly true Boxy, but you are certainly closer to the meaning of what the ACF is.

Boxy

GCM
At the risk of drifting off-topic - Not strictly true Boxy, but you are certainly closer to the meaning of what the ACF is.
To quote from their, ACF, website...
“Some of our activities have a military theme, others have more of a community focus but they all inspire young people to challenge their limits, become more independent, confident and able to step up to any challenge.

The Army Cadet Force is one of four cadet organisations sponsored and supported by the Ministry of Defence, the others being the Combined Cadet Force, the Sea Cadet Corps, and the Air Training Corps. Although they are sponsored by the Ministry of Defence there is no obligation on cadets to join the Armed Forces.”

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
muadib The Intelligence Cell 6
chuggafugga OTC and ACF 1
Kez O’Hara Juniors 34

Latest Threads