Acer Windows 7 Home Premium Recovery Discs

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by paleblue_1, Sep 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys,

I really need some help here. I have an Acer 5935G with Win 7 HP, whilst attempting you use Acer software to create the recovery discs (as they no longer supply them with the laptops!) my system crashed, requiring me to insert said recovery discs....obviously I don't have any, so I contacted Acer, explained the issue, how it happened etc. They have now told me that I can purchase the discs from them....at a cost of £51.06! As I am currently not working, this is a very large sum of money for me.

I have tried to ask for a Manager to contact me, however I do not hold out much hope.

Basically, if anyone has said discs, that they are willing to copy and post to me, please, please send me a PM.

I am willing to cover the cost of discs plus postage, really need the laptop back up and running so I can continue looking for work etc.

Any help from tyhe techie types very much appreciated!!

2. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

creating the discs shouldnt mess your system up but I cant claim to be surprised.

what happens when you try to boot up and have you tried f8 after the POST screen so you can select safe mode, repair or last known config.

3. No option to f8 the following message is displayed on the boot screen:

Insert windows installtion disc
    choose language
    click repair computer

info: the boot selection failed because a required devise is inaccessible

Not impressed that this happened when creating the boot discs, and for Acer to want to charge £51.06 especially when Acer USA will sell you the discs for $30!

4. msr

msr LE

5. Grumblegrunt

ouch - sent you a file link hopefully that will work for you.

f8 isnt allways an option if you only have the one OS installed but it should still work after the bios has checked itself. it should then give you the option to repair the computer.

its also usefull to keep an ubuntu disk handy or set it to dual boot with ubuntu using the wubi installer if you have the drive space free. sometimes you can get on and do things windows wont let you, like when my mobile broadband plays up and windows is asking 10,000 questions and asking for input ubuntu just gets on with it.

6. msr

msr LE

Sometimes people just can't help posting unhelpful info can they?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cheers guys,

will give it ago. Out of interest can I just burn the .ISO file to DVD and it will run as a boot disc? not had to do this before

8. msr

msr LE

Yes. That's exactly how it works. Burn the ISO file as an image to the DVD -

If you need a program to do this: ISO Recorder

m-s-r

9. Grumblegrunt

meaning? or is it a wah!

the reference was to the fact that if it is trashed then he should still be able to get any data back out of it before trying to sort it out as some folks are paranoid about precious files they fail to keep copies of and backing up is easier than data recovery after you press the wrong button. I dont do computers as a job so I base what I say on past experience which worked after trial and error and I understood it so might be able to help others.

I had a similar problem last week for one of the lads on the patch in BF where xp was trashed after the ubiquitous failed windows update and had locked the rights on all files so they couldnt be copied out when I stuck the drive in a caddy and explored it with windows 7 or xp, rebooted in ubuntu and backed the lot up in minutes. 30gb of films and photos including wedding and honeymoon so he was due a real bitch slap if he didnt get it sorted.

I did 3 laptops 2 pcs, 1 iphone and a wii last week despite supposedly being on holiday, all for free and none of them family - help for heroes and all that :)

you posted the link to a full win7 iso which is usefull and a huge 2.7gb - I pm'd one for the 150mb win7 recovery disc, which is smaller just as usefull and maybe quicker to solve his immediate problem.

10. msr

msr LE

Anyone who mentions linux in response to what appears to be a state of near panic over a Windows install disc problem is a tosspot. Plain enough?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Grumblegrunt

depending on the file size then cd, dvd or a rw disc it will give you the option to repair your computer then look for the broken installation and give you some choices like restoring from a backup or using system restore. hopefully that will be that.

if it fails (which it might) then it might be easier to go for the full installation where you have two choices. upgrade or custom. upgrade can be hit and miss failing to install due to existing software or not solving the no boot issue and custom will install a fresh windows on the drive, moving all your old data into a windows.old folder. once up and running you can copy what you want back out of the user folder in windows.old then delete it.

you keep your files but not your programs which isnt a bad thing as you get rid of the bloatware and can pick what you want to install. start with a free antivirus.

12. Grumblegrunt

not when a very simple windows user friendly point and click live cd can save said person the panic over their data. I find it a help and I'm crap at all that sudo apt get stuff as I stopped programming after sinclair basic :)

I didnt spout off about shitty windows vs supreme linux like some could have as its not true. I use windows all the time unless I'm in trouble with something and want a different approach to try. like late friday night on the transpennine express when windows decided not to connect my o2 dongle without demanding my great grandmas date of birth and the atomic weight of custard.

glass half empty or glass half full? - I prefer wrong glass.

13. Thanks for all your replies guys, I have now sorted the issue. Just looking through said old.windows folder to see if there is anything that I can recover. Glad i had that Win 7 Ultimate knocking around ;)!!

14. msr

msr LE

Twice the size it needs to be ;)