Acer TravelMate 5520-6A1G08Mi - Advice required

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Mighty_Blighty, Mar 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gents,

I am in the market for a lap top. Having never owned one before, I seek the advice of my esteemed fellow Arrses!

The one I am looking at (Acer TravelMate 5520-6A1G08Mi) seems to cover all the bases I require ie. Internet surfing, a bit of gaming (FPS) and watching DVDs when I go away. But the price seems a bit hefty (£500) for what will be effectively redundant much of the time as I have a desktop for everyday use. The specs are as follows:

Do People think that this is worth the money, or are there better out there for the cash.

Many thanks

MB

2. first things first, id forget about gaming on a laptop these days if your looking to play the new games that are out there as most OEM laptops dont have a video card suffifcient to play games..

the ram and HDD capacity look a little low, as if you scout about you'll find laptops aplenty for 500 beer tokens with oodles of HDD space and ram..

Acer is a decent make, so dont be put off that in future purchases

3. Yes if you buy in the UK for that price its about the basic level entry Laptop. As long as you expect it to do "basic stuff". You might want to see if they do VAT free and deliver to BFPO which will save a few bob

4. Or for £339 SimplyAcer link- at last -, and they can do it VAT free for £289. There's a phone number (they're based in Birmingham) to call to enquire further wrt delivery, and they're a registered Acer seller too dealing only with Acer products. I would also suggest upgrading that RAM by at least 1GB.

Just read this and realised there's no link. :roll: Blame the lack of Nescafe before posting.

5. Check your PM's