Acer Aspire AZ5600 - Any Views?

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Blueoffroader400, Apr 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ACER Aspire AZ5600
    Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q8200 (2.33 GHz), Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 4096 Mo, Hard drive: 1 TB, Blu-ray Disc player / DVD±RW burner, with 23 Widescreen £999.99

Any views on this little number from PC World?

Would you buythe above or this the new Apple IMac:
    APPLE iMac MB952B/A
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E7600 (3.06 GHz), Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, 4096 Mo, Hard drive: 1 TB, DVD±RW DL, Silver case, with 27 Widescreen £1,378.00

2. msr

msr LE

What do you want to do with it?

msr

3. Well my wife wants it to look good :oops:

I want a decent fast working system, office, excel & word, my son wants it to be good for games 8O

4. msr

msr LE

I see trouble ahead :)

To be honest for that sort of money you could probably get 2 desktops and a netbook and keep everyone happy.

msr

5. The Acer has an ATI HD4350 graphics card, which will not cut the mustard with any modern (and slightly older) games. It should blast through everything else though.

6. I've had two acer laptops in the space of a year.

Long story short, both caused me a lot of heartache and were replaced (after a couple of legal threats were issued).

When I was returning the second, I was queuing for a bit at the customer services desk, three people rocked up all carrying Acers all needing repair. My advice is DO NOT go near them, buy an HP instead...or if you have money to burn an Alienware.

7. I've always found Acers to be pretty good and you certainly get some bang for your buck if you pick a suitable model. Most people I know who have problems with the build quality forget that they're designed to be used in fairly tranquil settings. If you're going to be dragging them around the globe then you ought to look for something a bit more rugged, but if like me you just want something to balance on your lap at home of an evening, then I personally can't fault them.

If you're thinking of paying that amount for a laptop, though, I'd plump for the Apple and get the son a bicycle or a football or summat.

8. Thanks for all the advice.

I think I will be leaving the Acer on the shelf, would hate to spend loads of cash for possible problems in the future :?

I already have plenty of IT in the home including a apple notebook (wifes).

You know how it is got a hand full of dosh and the wife wants to spend it on a new fancy looking IT system Imac!! :)

What to do??? shall I keep the Mrs happy :x

9. Not on a Mac you wont. Apart from the stuff on steam i have never seen a decent Mac game.