Accurate description of my ARRSE?

A member of a forum I help admin asked (to paraphrase) for a sensible current affairs discussion bulletin board, not infested with BNP loons, political party "activists", PC morons who see racism under the bed, and those who never watch a news bulletin.

I posted this in reply. Is it broadly accurate?

ARSSE. It's a much misunderstood forum, big, well-moderated, and scares the government, who don't like one bit soldiers in Afghanistan going off duty, then logging on to ARSSE to complain about the absence of armour on their Landrovers. Sure, there's a BNP and a UKIP presence, and the NAFFI's hair-raising, but the mods boot out and out racists. There are some very thoughtful people there, Services and civilians, officers and squaddies, who fall way outside the bone-headed ‘slot ragheads’ stereotype. High quality military history threads and sharp political commentary. People who are being shot at tend to (a) hate the politicians who got them into the firing line and (b) want to discover the real reasons why bullets are cracking over their heads. ARSSE is also laugh out loud funny when a troll or, better still, genuine poster arrives thinking it's a homosexual dating forum and asks some hairy-bottomed soldier on a date.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums.html

annakey said:
A member of a forum I help admin asked (to paraphrase) for a sensible current affairs discussion bulletin board, not infested with BNP loons, political party "activists", PC morons who see racism under the bed, and those who never watch a news bulletin.

ARSSE. It's a much misunderstood forum, big, well-moderated, and scares the government, who don't like one bit soldiers in Afghanistan going off duty, then logging on to ARSSE to complain about the absence of armour on their Landrovers. Sure, there's a BNP and a UKIP presence, and the NAFFI's hair-raising, but the mods boot out and out racists. There are some very thoughtful people there, Services and civilians, officers and squaddies, who fall way outside the bone-headed ‘slot ragheads’ stereotype. High quality military history threads and sharp political commentary. People who are being shot at tend to (a) hate the politicians who got them into the firing line and (b) want to discover the real reasons why bullets are cracking over their heads. ARSSE is also laugh out loud funny when a troll or, better still, genuine poster arrives thinking it's a homosexual dating forum and asks some hairy-bottomed soldier on a date.

rarely can agree with anything you have posted even if it agrees with my somewhat libertarian stance but yes nail on head and well described but i would bold as DB suggests

Never thought I'd see the day. Something accurate, unbiased and correct from Annakey! ;)

At this rate Frenchmong will be making sense next!

halo_jones said:
rarely can agree with anything you have posted
That's the whole point isn't it? :lol: Exposure to views one profoundly disagrees with? What's the use of a digital jerk-circle? I could have pointed my inquirer to a dozen such forums, across the political spectrum, but by God are they boring. All respect to ARRSE but it's a pathetic state of affairs.

Point taken on spelling. You can tell I'm a civilian LOL. Thanks. I'll correct the original.

DozyBint said:
halo_jones said:
...but i would bold as DB suggests
I wasn't suggesting the words be bolded, I was pointing out a couple of speeling misteaks which would be embarrassing as they're key words / acronyms! :)

opps lol well you know i cant spell for toffees...but bolding was from a graphic design pointy of view :p

bovvy said:
I think, annakey, you will soon be receiving a visit from Good CO's or Bad CO's carrier-pigeon, bringing you a nice sweetie. :D
Hmmm I thought I might get spud duty for this bit:

scares the government, who don't like one bit soldiers in Afghanistan going off duty, then logging on to ARSSE to complain about the absence of armour on their Landrovers.
It raises certain official secrets, discipline and chain of command issues, as well as being a massive political hot potato. :p

Cuddles said:
I resent the hairy bottomed insinuation...back, sac and crack is neither easy to undergo nor cheap!
I see my hairy backside as a built in feature for keeping me warm on cold mornings,it also saves on thermal undergarments.

annakey said:

Where have you been annakey?,I thought you'd have been crawling all over the UCL thread,or were you too busy organising "people who don't pay their TV licences against the nazis" ;)

annakey said:
scares the government, who don't like one bit soldiers in Afghanistan going off duty, then logging on to ARSSE to complain about the absence of armour on their Landrovers.
It raises certain official secrets, discipline and chain of command issues, as well as being a massive political hot potato. :p
My Bolds

I'd love to think these were true, but I'm feeling ever so cynical. Do you have any solid reasons for believing that we are a "massive political hot potato"?

Random_Task said:
annakey said:

Where have you been annakey?,I thought you'd have been crawling all over the UCL thread,or were you too busy organising "people who don't pay their TV licences against the nazis" ;)
FACSIST!!

I've been busy undermining cap'lism with my patriotic chums.

counterstrike said:
annakey said:
My Bolds

I'd love to think these were true, but I'm feeling ever so cynical. Do you have any solid reasons for believing that we are a "massive political hot potato"?
Well, I can't point you to a scientific experiment backed with lab data, but I think there are solid speculative reasons to conclude the Gov.’s caught in a pincer. On one side there's the political right who'll always support Crown Forces, particularly if strike breaking, :wink: but on the other there's a great mass of people like me who opposed Blair's adventures but feel very sorry for those at the sharp end who are getting killed and maimed to prosecute a flawed policy. Plus I've Forces in the family, my g/f's grandfather took a small boat to Dunkirk and was mentioned in dispatches, and my mum weeps at the sound of a Merlin engine. I think there are millions of people like me in Britain, but British civilians don't wear their hearts on their sleeves like the Yanks do. Plus the Army's PR is abysmal. So yes, when it emerges that some nineteen year old in a dust bowl doesn’t have the armour he needs, a lot of people from across the political spectrum get angry about it. Which makes the Gov. nervous: they're happy so long as left and right are fighting and don't like it when a common cause emerges.

I should add that I have never undergone the "beauty" treatment I refer to in this thread...I doubt there is that much wax available, particularly if big bird is still doing her legs (alternate leg, alternate week)...

Latest Threads