Accuracy of phone apps in measuring distance

Samana123

Swinger
I use Nike Run Club to measure my 1.5 mile time.

I just ran a pb but I’m unsure whether the 1.5 mile my phone is saying I’ve ran is that close to 1.5 mile in real life as there’s some curves on the route recap which would have increased my perceived distance ran.

What do other people use to measure their 1.5 mile times?
Has anyone found they’ve got to ADSC and realised that their phone may have been flattering them?

I use Nike Run Club to measure my 1.5 mile time.

I just ran a pb but I’m unsure whether the 1.5 mile my phone is saying I’ve ran is that close to 1.5 mile in real life as there’s some curves on the route recap which would have increased my perceived distance ran.

What do other people use to measure their 1.5 mile times?
Has anyone found they’ve got to ADSC and realised that their phone may have been flattering them?
Find a track, do it there on true measured distance.
Compare times, 6 laps iirc

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Or use the results from the app when it gives you a PB or a time that would make Mo Farah weep tears of shame.

Then blame the app's appalling lack of accuracy when you run an 18 minute mile.

Phone GPS updates once a second so unless you are going really fast the straight lining should have a minimal effect.

I use Map May Walk.
On the same route it is +/-300m in 3.5km so 8.5%
The longer I walk the more accurate it tends to be and accuracy is about 3% over 5.5km.
This on an iphone 6

Is that an app for stalking the Prime Minister?
Your'e thinking of the well known and popular App: B**x*t May Walk

Buy a Landrover. Good enough for the British Army to measure run distances for 70 years.
I also remember having to push a Landrover around the BFT course at Hawley. I dont recall anybody setting the trip before we started though.

It wasn't too bad if they let you release the hand brake.

I use a website called mapmyrun to calculate distance. Too many potential inaccuracies in a phone’s GPS, and the inaccuracy can be location dependant due to multipath effects from trees, buildings etc.

I've used MapMyrun on my phone. The results usually match my Garmin pretty well. Have recently got a Polar M600, which often shows less than the other two when running known distance routes.

DarkBrig

Old-Salt
Not that i often go for a run these days but I've always found the free version of Run keeper to do the job

Latest Threads