Accumulative Service Medal

I know the medal is awarded after so many months on operations, but what if you are posted to a unit that is continously operational? There are a small number of units that are operational in the UK. Also if you took part in OP FRESCO (as an example?) would that count towards the qualifying period?

Don't believe so. Has to be 1080 days on operations that would qualify you for GSM - e.g. northern ireland. I've served in unit in the UK that was "operational" but it didn't count towards ACSM. Don't worry too much about it anyway. Qualified for mine in January and still not seen a sniff, there are guys overdue since Aug 04 who havent got theirs yet either. Ordered by our switched on chief clerk as soon as eligible, its the medals people who are slow...

Ventress

LE
Mate of mine waited 5 years for his, as his Unit RAOWO had argued he was 2 days short. Luckily an OC fought his corner and he finally got it- Good old AGC! (Sarcasm)

CRmeansCeilingReached said:
Don't believe so. Has to be 1080 days on operations that would qualify you for GSM - e.g. northern ireland. I've served in unit in the UK that was "operational" but it didn't count towards ACSM. Don't worry too much about it anyway. Qualified for mine in January and still not seen a sniff, there are guys overdue since Aug 04 who havent got theirs yet either. Ordered by our switched on chief clerk as soon as eligible, its the medals people who are slow...
Got mine a year after I left in 1995, criteria, 36 months in an operational theatre and have the GSM too.

Lordfelcher said:
Also if you took part in OP FRESCO (as an example?) would that count towards the qualifying period?
are you taking the pish?

Op Telic, Op Fingal, Op Barras, Op Keeling, Op Silkman (all as yet), any Op in the Balkans (confirmed they never will) dont count towards the ACSM.
Being an operational unit also doesnt count, its time spent in the operational theatres listed in the DCI that count.
Op Fresco :roll:

oldbaldy

LE
Op Fresco?

Perhaps a nasty 10 year old threw a brick!

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't have access to DII at the moment, but am pretty sure that TELIC does count towards ACSM. could someone check the TELIC award DCI, please? I had this arguement with our Chief some months ago, and remember seeing it in there.

OldSnowy said:
I don't have access to DII at the moment, but am pretty sure that TELIC does count towards ACSM. could someone check the TELIC award DCI, please? I had this arguement with our Chief some months ago, and remember seeing it in there.
You are quite right, Telic does.

If your that worried about it, i can send you mine if you want..............Not, Bloody gong hunters will do anything to try and get an extra one!!

So, you'd think that after 2 6 monthers and a 2 year post to NI, the first Gulf, numerous balkans and now a telic, I'd qualify, right?

Wrong, according to my lot, Telic doesnt count nor does the first Gulf (Granby 1 ), so anyone got the definitive answer on this one?

Filbert Fox said:
Op Telic, Op Fingal, Op Barras, Op Keeling, Op Silkman (all as yet), any Op in the Balkans (confirmed they never will) dont count towards the ACSM.
Being an operational unit also doesnt count, its time spent in the operational theatres listed in the DCI that count.
Op Fresco :roll:
Op Keeling??? Surely not!! :?

A couple of weeks holiday in West Africa 8O

(Yes I was there)

Malariadup said:
Op Keeling (Yes I was there)
Warm and shitty wasnt it? unless you spent the whole time swanning it in Freetown of course.

Freetown's just as big a sh*t hole, give me Kenema or Bo any day :D

Battsimm said:
So, you'd think that after 2 6 monthers and a 2 year post to NI, the first Gulf, numerous balkans and now a telic, I'd qualify, right?

Wrong, according to my lot, Telic doesnt count nor does the first Gulf (Granby 1 ), so anyone got the definitive answer on this one?
The Accumulated Campaign Service Medal (ACSM) is awarded for 1080 days operational service, which may be an accumulation of qualifying time for any GSM 1962, Operational Service Medal (OSM) or the Iraq Medal (OP TELIC).
This is from a 2003 official source. The authority is the medal Warrant which I can't find on the web, but some of you should be able to find it.

I spent 3 days in Freetown and the rest of the time in Beguema (cant spell it!!), mmmmm great fun, you soon get used to Gurkha modified curried rat packs though.

Much better than Plassas anyway!!

Hackle,

Am at home just now but when back at work next week I'll see if I can get to that on Modweb somewhere, I have actually seen something on it but it wasnt very informative and confused me more than informed me...............

B

Biscuits_AB

Can you get a bar to an ACSM and if so how long do you need in addition to qualify for one?