Accumulative Service Medal

Discussion in 'Medals' started by Lordfelcher, Oct 11, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know the medal is awarded after so many months on operations, but what if you are posted to a unit that is continously operational? There are a small number of units that are operational in the UK. Also if you took part in OP FRESCO (as an example?) would that count towards the qualifying period?

2. Don't believe so. Has to be 1080 days on operations that would qualify you for GSM - e.g. northern ireland. I've served in unit in the UK that was "operational" but it didn't count towards ACSM. Don't worry too much about it anyway. Qualified for mine in January and still not seen a sniff, there are guys overdue since Aug 04 who havent got theirs yet either. Ordered by our switched on chief clerk as soon as eligible, its the medals people who are slow...

3. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Mate of mine waited 5 years for his, as his Unit RAOWO had argued he was 2 days short. Luckily an OC fought his corner and he finally got it- Good old AGC! (Sarcasm)

4. Got mine a year after I left in 1995, criteria, 36 months in an operational theatre and have the GSM too.

5. are you taking the pish?

6. Op Telic, Op Fingal, Op Barras, Op Keeling, Op Silkman (all as yet), any Op in the Balkans (confirmed they never will) dont count towards the ACSM.
    Being an operational unit also doesnt count, its time spent in the operational theatres listed in the DCI that count.
    Op Fresco :roll:

7. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Op Fresco?

Perhaps a nasty 10 year old threw a brick!

8. Waited almost a year for mine, then what oh yeah disbandment!!

9. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I don't have access to DII at the moment, but am pretty sure that TELIC does count towards ACSM. could someone check the TELIC award DCI, please? I had this arguement with our Chief some months ago, and remember seeing it in there.

10. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

You are quite right, Telic does.

11. If your that worried about it, i can send you mine if you want..............Not, Bloody gong hunters will do anything to try and get an extra one!!

12. So, you'd think that after 2 6 monthers and a 2 year post to NI, the first Gulf, numerous balkans and now a telic, I'd qualify, right?

Wrong, according to my lot, Telic doesnt count nor does the first Gulf (Granby 1 ), so anyone got the definitive answer on this one?

13. Op Keeling??? Surely not!! :?

A couple of weeks holiday in West Africa 8O

(Yes I was there)

14. Warm and shitty wasnt it? unless you spent the whole time swanning it in Freetown of course.

15. Freetown's just as big a sh*t hole, give me Kenema or Bo any day :D