Accumulated Campaign Service Medal

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by fusilier50, Jan 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. noted from a few other threads that there isnt a bar for further Telic Op's and instead the time served is added towards an Accumulated Campaign Service Medal.

time required 1080 days regular 1000 days part time

all the info i can find on this medal is for NI but apparently it has been expanded to cover the Telic and Fingal Op's because of the number of repeat tours.

how many tours would you have to do to qualify do you think as a TA soldier. regulars are far more likely to qualify obviously but is it even possible for one of us to do so? think its something like 6 tours but my maths could be wrong

6 tours would be pushing the boat with my employers and anyone elses so extremely unlikely we will ever get one.

my question is should there be or is there something else aimed at rewarding TA for repeat tours?

is there a TA medal that is awarded for accumulated service as well as TA time?

2. you`ve answered your own question "1000 day`s" !!!! there is no criteria for ta to get a different medal for accumulated service whilst on op tours think yourself lucky you dont have to do those extra eighty days that i had to to get mine . i dont think that ta personnel should recieve a different medal for op tours or susequent tours we are after all supposedly in a "one army concept" there are enough doubters out there that disagree with this concept having different medals would only add fuel to there fires .......rant over!

3. I believe the intial idea was in recognition of people doing numerous NI tours however it also included any other operational tours. Believe several people of my dads age missed out due to the cut off date ruling out 1 of their Borneo tours , leaving them just afew days short.

5. i dont think i have explained myself properly regarding this issue. :roll:

however i'd like to say that i agree with you all that there should be no difference between Regular and TA medals and the criteria required to gain them. i was wrong to suggest otherwise

however i do believe we should all get at least a bar/s for our medal rather than just accummulated time for repeat tours
    :wink:

6. I remember when this medal first came in, it was supposed to be for the old sweats who did back to back tours in NI in the 70's and 80's when things were hairy to seperate them from the ypoung sprogs lording it with thier medals after a single maze tour

Unfortunaltly in those days most tours were 4 1/2 months not 6 and thus would take 8 tours to qualify, I know someone who did 6 tours which were a mixture of 6 and 4 1/2 month tours, add leaving the province for the odd course and he was way off.

Thing was though, only the truely jiffed could qualify whilst doing emergancy roulemont (sp) tours, so the only gys who seemed to get them was UDR/RIR (deservingly so, I beleive there is a guy with either 6 or 8 bars for his ACSM), Inf Btn on 2 year turnarounds at the likes of Palace Bks etc and clerks working out of Lisbon (and the like). The latter seemed to be the most common as our RHQ was festooned with them, so much so the medal at our lot was refered to as the REMF medal esp as it had a yellow "streak" running down the ribbon

7. Not boasting but dont you think it's wrong that I got one for 4 years as a PSI in NI TA unit

8. going slightly off thread here but did I hear a rumour of a BFG\BAOR service medal not so long back...................? anyone care to elaborate on that one................?

a chocolate gong for accumulated site guards......................;-)

9. No because you fullfilled your requirement, christ they was one bint on my 3rd tour that came over for the 30 odd days required, all she did was help with the mid tour training BBQ.

Anyway I'm one to talk, I got the GW 1 medal for Cyprus :wink:

10. Request moderator delete

11. A medal for going on the p1ss in Germany? Yeah, fcuking cheers.

12. BFG/BAOR/Cold War medal, sounds like a British Legion type of medal, similar to the "alternative" QGJ.

Do the 6 month tours of Belize count towards accumliated service?, no, I can't spell!

13. Belize doesn't count. Basically any medal with the Queens boat on it counts.

14. I assume means that UN/Nato tours don't count either, then?

15. No, they don't. From that link above -

The ACSM is awarded for 1080 days aggregated service in those theatres for which the GSM (e.g. Northern Ireland, Air Ops Iraq), an OSM (e.g. Sierra Leone or Afghanistan) or the Iraq Medal has been issued. An additional 1080 days is required for the award of the Clasp to the ACSM. More than 1 Clasp may be earned.

Separate criteria apply to Part-time members of the Ulster Defence Regiment (UDR) and Royal Irish (Home Service) Regiment.