Accumulated Campaign Service Medal

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Pox_Dr, Dec 9, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Simple question for those in the know, what are the criteria to be awarded an Accumulated Campaign Service Medal.

I’ve just contacted my old unit to chase 2 gongs I’m missing to discover that as an ex servicemen it’s my responsibility to chase them through RAF Innsworth, as they never requested them. I checked out some old threads on this theme & it appears I may also be eligible for an ACSM.

2. At least 36 combined months in an area that attracts the GSM. At the minute, this means NI. The 36 months don't have to be in one go, they can be accumulated (not just a clever name). E.g. 1x24 month resident tour and 2x6 month roulment tours, or whatever.

3. I can concur, I did exaclty that and got mine 2 years after I left the service, but I got it at least, with an insert for your red book from the medal office.

4. The only campaign medal issued for service in Northern Ireland is the General Service Medal (GSM) (1962) with clasp ‘Northern Ireland’ (14 August 1969 – present). However, the Accumulated Campaign Service Medal (ACSM) is awarded for 1080 days operational service,which may be an accumulation of qualifying time for any GSM 1962, Operational Service Medal (OSM) or the Iraq Medal (OP TELIC).

The ACSM was instituted in January 1994 and is awarded to holders of the Campaign Service Medal 1962 on completion of 36 months accumulated campaign service from 14th August 1969.

Also available is a silver plated 2nd award bar clasp which is awarded for each subsequent 36 month period.

This was the situation in June this year - happy to be proven wrong, but post the reference please.

5. Can't remember the exact ref, but I've seen a DCI (or something similar) this year, and you are exactly right, except for a few extra theatres. Afgan and Serria Leone are also included in the qualification.

6. Any campaign that has had a British medal awarded for it (ie, not NATO or UN) counts towards the ACSM.

My qualifying campaigns have been NI (GSM '62), Kuwait (bar for GSM '62), Sierra Leone (OSM), Afghanistan (OSM), Iraq (OSM).

Now all I have to do is wait for the medal office to get their arses in gear. I look forward to receiving my ACSM shortly before my 67th birthday!! :roll:

7. darth summed it ip in a nutshell,but just a word of caution on this(i maybe wrong) bu.t the term used is AGGREGATED SERVICE.
    essentially it means that you do the time in the relevant theatres at diferrent times,e.g 3 years continuous service in ni will not count as you have to of done the time on different tours i.e 2x 6 monthers and a 2 year posting.wasn't aware that all the other tours like telic and afghan etc count aswell

8. u_didnt_c_me_i_wasnt_ther - I'm not sure about that. I'm sure there are folk in my trade who have done 3 year tours at Aldergrove and have an ACSM (as well as GSM '62) to show for it.

9. you may well be right mate,il ask at work on monday,was only going on what i'd been told by our chief clerk,which to be fair is normally spot on unless it concerns pay,leave etc

10. It is called the Accumulated Campaign Service Medal and has 'For Accumulated Campaign Service' on the medal!

The Accumulated Campaign Service Medal (ACSM) is awarded for 1080 days operational service,
    which may be an accumulation of qualifying time for any GSM 1962, Operational Service
    Medal (OSM) or the Iraq Medal (OP TELIC). As far as I am aware these are the only qualifying areas.

Two qualifying areas exist for the Operational Service Medal (OSM) to donate the campaign for which the medal is awarded the first being Sierra Leone and the second Afghanistan.

11. mike you are indeed right it is,i was refferring to the terms of issue when using the word aggregated

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

If they had counted the 4 months stagging on in kelly's Garden, then I would have earned mine by now!

13. Thanks for the info, now Im aware of the facts I think I fall short as I was counting my UN tours.

But thanks anyway.