Accountability of Politicians

The House of Parliament have started to discuss a proposal to make MPs more accountable to their electorateby introducing a power of re-call (something I think all Paies were in favour of when they were asking for our votes last time round

Linky to BBC coverage: BBC News - Recall plan for MPs 'deeply flawed'

Surprise, surprise - the proposal is now being watered down to the level where an MP has to be sent to jail for up to a year, or a majority of his/her peers have to vote to allow the great un-washed have a petition to get rid!

Why on earth would we trust fellow MPs to look after our interests, particularly when a senior shaddow minister is let off the hook for "forgetting to mention" that he took a 60K bung from the Unions?

Link also: BBC News - MP Dromey apologises for breaching Commons rules

Mods note - I have used BBC as an authorised and approved source, other unauthorised sources are available.
This Dromey affair really is a fecking scandal.

By the looks of it he has had a long and illustrious career of 'not noticing any wrongdoing' when it comes to the financial affairs of the organisations he has worked for.

Jack Dromey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On 15 March 2006, in the Cash for Peerages scandal, Dromey spoke of not being aware, despite being party treasurer, of £3.5 million worth of loans made to the Labour Party in 2005 by three individual
Dromey was caught up in further financial scandals in 2007 as he was responsible for party finances, which included more than £630,000 in illegal donations from David Abrahams. Dromey again claimed to know nothing of the donations
Dromey served for 10 years on the executive of the National Council for Civil Liberties.[SUP][6][/SUP] His future wife, Harriet Harman, has served as legal officer for the organisation
Dromey married Harriet Harman in 1982 in the borough of Brent, after meeting her on the picket line of the Grunwick dispute in 1977; Harman was legal advisor to the Grunwick Strike Committee.
I wonder just how he came to be the MP for Birmingham Erdington? Merit? In the right place at the right time? Or nepotism?

Trouble is this sort of behaviour is not the exclusive remit of Labour, all political parties are 'at it' as has been proved over many years by ex cabinet ministers popping in in very lucrative directorship positions in Companies awarded contracts from their former ministries.
I wonder just how he came to be the MP for Birmingham Erdington?

WikiPedia said:
Peter Watt later revealed that the union Unite had given £1 million in donations on assumption of the safe seat of Wolverhampton North East being given to Dromey
That was for 2007, the election that never was. Unite wanted their million quid back if Jack didn't get a safe seat in the 2010 election.

IIRC, more than 100 of the new intake of Labour MPs are former union officials, overwhelmingly from Unite. God help us when the next Labour government gets in. It'll be like the 1970s again.