Accommodation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick point, but does it actually matter?

Seems to be a generational thing, our kid just left for an internship overseas. Their major concern seems to be accomodation, will it be private enough, will there be shared facilities, wifi etc etc. Also very keen to bring and arrange lots of 'stuff' as well.

It's because nowadays, generally people don't want to (and don't have to) be treated like a ****.
In my father's day he was in training with people who had never had an indoor toilet or a shower in their house. It didn't really matter what the army offered it was probably going to be better than what they had. Today, central heating, privacy, en suite, WiFi etc are standard in a lot of civvie street.
The Army can either move with the times or wonder why people aren't climbing over the fence to join an organisation that treats its employees poorly.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
This is it - when the RN did SLAM quite rightly they sorted out the junior rates first. Anyone who has had the 'pleasure' of Britannia or Saumarez Blocks in Pompey will know why...

But the junior and senior rates would be stunned by e.g. Nelson Wardroom. A lot of the officers were living in squalor. Going back to 2005 most of the lads were in single en suite rooms, I was sharing one working shower (over a bath) with over 30 others. not at the same time obviously, it wasn't that much of a cliche.
You’ve (luckily) never been to the ******* disgrace that was the HQ RLC Mess in Deepcut.

By far the worst Mess accommodation I ever came anywhere near to.

RAOC eh?

Hairy-boab

Old-Salt
It's because nowadays, generally people don't want to (and don't have to) be treated like a ****.
In my father's day he was in training with people who had never had an indoor toilet or a shower in their house. It didn't really matter what the army offered it was probably going to be better than what they had. Today, central heating, privacy, en suite, WiFi etc are standard in a lot of civvie street.
The Army can either move with the times or wonder why people aren't climbing over the fence to join an organisation that treats its employees poorly.
I absolutely understand your point, but wonder what the over subscription rate is for officer training (the subject of the thread) vs all arms? I also completely agree that post-training accommodation should be private etc, but is this something needed for recruit training?

I absolutely understand your point, but wonder what the over subscription rate is for officer training (the subject of the thread) vs all arms? I also completely agree that post-training accommodation should be private etc, but is this something needed for recruit training?
Depends if low standard accommodation is for a training purpose (in the case of ORs for example, multi occupancy rooms might lead to team building) or because the Army is just being cheap.
If its the latter why would people (officer cadets) be happy to live like a tramp for 44 weeks?

Hairy-boab

Old-Salt
Depends if low standard accommodation is for a training purpose (in the case of ORs for example, multi occupancy rooms might lead to team building) or because the Army is just being cheap.
If its the latter why would people (officer cadets) be happy to live like a tramp for 44 weeks?
I only ever did RMR training (but did not finish), living like a tramp basically covered it :)
I only remember staying inside the first weekend of training. That said, I spent most of my youth living in similar conditions on e.g climbing trips etc.
As an old fart now, I’d bite your arm off for 44 weeks away from the family in sub standard accommodation!

I only ever did RMR training (but did not finish), living like a tramp basically covered it :)
I only remember staying inside the first weekend of training. That said, I spent most of my youth living in similar conditions on e.g climbing trips etc.
As an old fart now, I’d bite your arm off for 44 weeks away from the family in sub standard accommodation!
People expect a better standard these days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads