Accommodation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m currently applying to join in 2022 and was wondering if any current officers could tell me what the accommodation is like at the Sandhurst academy?

I’m currently applying to join in 2022 and was wondering if any current officers could tell me what the accommodation is like at the Sandhurst academy?
It will be fairly basic, but very tidy. Think single rooms (there used to be some 2-man rooms, but they may / may not have gone) with built-in wardrobe / sink. Shared showers / laundry facilities.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
It will be fairly basic, but very tidy. Think single rooms (there used to be some 2-man rooms, but they may / may not have gone) with built-in wardrobe / sink. Shared showers / laundry facilities.
2 man rooms? Not seen 'back in my day'.

Mind you, I did start off in an 8 man room but that was for very different reasons...

Mind you, I did start off in an 8 man room but that was for very different reasons...
2006 - each platoon in my company had 1 or 2 2-man rooms.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Was that up in The Redoubt?
did they actually use that for cadet accommodation? We were stuck in there when we came up from BRNC for the Sandhurst Games in 2002 and it was in absolute rag order then. One bloke fell through a (internal) wall. Admittedly he was absolutely steaming at the time but it's still not a great sign.

We genuinely thought they'd given us condemned accommodation (unlocked for the occasion) as a way of influencing our sports performance!

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
did they actually use that for cadet accommodation? We were stuck in there when we came up from BRNC for the Sandhurst Games in 2002 and it was in absolute rag order then. One bloke fell through a (internal) wall. Admittedly he was absolutely steaming at the time but it's still not a great sign.

We genuinely thought they'd given us condemned accommodation (unlocked for the occasion) as a way of influencing our sports performance!
No idea - it didn't even exist when I was at Sandhurst back in the 70s. I stayed in soldiers accommodation for Rowallan, New College for SMC, Old College for RCC and then Victory College for the first month of my ACSC before moving into my room at the Staff College.

I've lived in every type of accommodation at Sandhurst apart from the WOs' & Sgts' Mess!

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Old College. First or Second floor, from memory. Not ground, anyway.
Ah, I only lived on the ground floor of Old College - Blenheim Company.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Some of the Old College platoons have 2 man rooms. They get used to pair a competent cadet with one who is struggling. Whether or not that was the original intention, who knows!

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Some of the Old College platoons have 2 man rooms. They get used to pair a competent cadet with one who is struggling. Whether or not that was the original intention, who knows!
I expect it was so that a cadet could have his 'man' with him back in the mists of time!

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Hairy-boab

Old-Salt
Just a quick point, but does it actually matter?

Seems to be a generational thing, our kid just left for an internship overseas. Their major concern seems to be accomodation, will it be private enough, will there be shared facilities, wifi etc etc. Also very keen to bring and arrange lots of 'stuff' as well.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It will be of variable comfort depending on root systems, but you can always just square the walls a little more if you prefer more space, so personal accomodation is highly flexible according to preference. On some exercises heating is provided by Hexamine, but mostly it runs on solar. Bedding is substantial and has a high tog rating. Air conditioning is rarely a problem and also 100% powered by renewables. Entertainment facilities are also provided by Hexamine, they have sort of a joint contract. Laundry facilities leave something to be desired, but use all-natural products.

As you can see, the Army has really modernised.

Just a quick point, but does it actually matter?

Seems to be a generational thing, our kid just left for an internship overseas. Their major concern seems to be accomodation, will it be private enough, will there be shared facilities, wifi etc etc. Also very keen to bring and arrange lots of 'stuff' as well.
Expectations have changed; the Army was dragged screaming and kicking into the 21st century over SLAM and have, on many occasions casuons apparently, undermined it by bunking up in single rooms.

Young people want - and deserve - privacy; I appreciate that it's different for personnel on Phase I or 2 training, but privacy is a retention positive feature, even though for many young soldiers, they've not had the privilege of privacy in their own homes. Or decent food, for that matter.

Well there is a bed but don't worry about it as you will not get much chance to use it.

There is a Table ~ Boots for polishing on and

There is a plug ~ Iron for plugging in to.

What else could you possibly need?

Expectations have changed; the Army was dragged screaming and kicking into the 21st century over SLAM and have, on many occasions casuons apparently, undermined it by bunking up in single rooms.

Young people want - and deserve - privacy; I appreciate that it's different for personnel on Phase I or 2 training, but privacy is a retention positive feature, even though for many young soldiers, they've not had the privilege of privacy in their own homes. Or decent food, for that matter.

Agreed, and it remains an area where our young soldiers are let down hugely. There is still some appalling accommodation and terrible food. I'd rather our senior officers / Comd SMs prioritised fixing it over engaging with 'social justice issues'.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
for many young soldiers, they've not had the privilege of privacy in their own homes. Or decent food, for that matter.
PAYD will make them feel right at home then.

But I agree that privacy should be seen as a fairly basic provision where possible, particularly since increasingly all accomodation is mixed sex. The requirements of field conditions don't need to be extrapolated back to barracks, that's why they're called "field conditions".

Hohenidoom

Old-Salt
Agreed, and it remains an area where our young soldiers are let down hugely. There is still some appalling accommodation and terrible food. I'd rather our senior officers / Comd SMs prioritised fixing it over engaging with 'social justice issues'.

Agreed, but issue is Army wide and encompasses the officer corps also. I know of a supposedly plush mess currently accomodating trainees due to covid restrictions in the block. To say they're a bit shocked at the state of the place is an understatement.

It's great having wonderful public rooms and grand buildings, but I think I'd rather the showers workers properly, the paint wasn't peeling off the walls and the heating system wasn't from the dark ages. It also irks me that I eat craptastic, badly cooked food in a room that'd hold 300 diners in all their splendor, a juxtaposition to ponder over my undercooked unidentified white fish.

If we didn't pretend we were closing a base down for ten years and then change our minds, perhaps we might have some accommodation worth investing for the future in. People might even come back to the mess, shocker!

Agreed, but issue is Army wide and encompasses the officer corps also. I know of a supposedly plush mess currently accomodating trainees due to covid restrictions in the block. To say they're a bit shocked at the state of the place is an understatement.

It's great having wonderful public rooms and grand buildings, but I think I'd rather the showers workers properly, the paint wasn't peeling off the walls and the heating system wasn't from the dark ages. It also irks me that I eat craptastic, badly cooked food in a room that'd hold 300 diners in all their splendor, a juxtaposition to ponder over my undercooked unidentified white fish.

If we didn't pretend we were closing a base down for ten years and then change our minds, perhaps we might have some accommodation worth investing for the future in. People might even come back to the mess, shocker!
This is it - when the RN did SLAM quite rightly they sorted out the junior rates first. Anyone who has had the 'pleasure' of Britannia or Saumarez Blocks in Pompey will know why...

But the junior and senior rates would be stunned by e.g. Nelson Wardroom. A lot of the officers were living in squalor. Going back to 2005 most of the lads were in single en suite rooms, I was sharing one working shower (over a bath) with over 30 others. not at the same time obviously, it wasn't that much of a cliche.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads