Accommodation in London

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by HaigHT, May 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Haig Housing Trust (HHT) is still running a pilot scheme in North London to give single Service leavers cheap accommodation for up to 12 months to enable them to find a job. Maintenance contribution will be covered by local housing benefit, if qualified. Applicants must have served 4 years, have left the Forces in the past year and be highly motivated to find a job; no-one will be accepted who would upset the equilibrium of the flat.

HHT will link residents in to the RFEA London Employment Consultant and Tomorrow's People, and provides a pc on site for CV writing, job searching etc.. More information is at www.haighousingtrust.org.uk

Enquiries to enquiries@haighousingtrust.org.uk or 020 8685 5777.

2. So a service person who has faithfully served Queen and country for 3 years and has been to war and been to hell and back with an exemplary service record to boot does not qualify then. :? :?

Which little "tin god" set these rules then ??

3. Alvin, I'm not sure that's fair, they are trying to help people, and not everyone can be accepted - it's better than nothing isn't it?

4. I blame the Government for not making anywhere near proper provision for the very people that they send to war after they leave the services.
    It is very humiliating for a service person to have to ask for charity ..... This should not have to be the case in this day and age.

5. They send them to war after they leave the services? That's kept quiet!

Provision is made. It's the same as that given to most people leaving their employment - NHS, unemployment and housing benefits, etc. Joining the Army is a job, it's not joining a clan of superheroes.

HHT kindly provides an extra service to Service leavers. Its coffers are finite. Be grateful.

Can a MOD lock and sticky this before it becomes a NAAFI entry?

6. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I think Alvin will feel better when he sobers up.
    ALL charities have rules about eligibility. The 4 years service and within one year of leaving just happens to be theirs.
    They do a bloody good job so don't knock them.

7. It's also just one of a range of housing projects which they have (the website is not however informative on eligibility criteria). I think the one billed in the OP is fairly narrow because it's essentially a flatshare.

If you know someone with a different service profile with housing difficulties, then I suggest you steer them to your local SSAFA office in the first instance.

8. Good effort, more power to them......

9. I had dealing s with this charity when I worked in a recruiting Office in London.
    All I can say is Fantastic.
    Had a homeless squaddie walk in for some info on service charities. I contacted this charity and within the hour the guy had a place to rest his head and a foot back onto the road to a better life.
    He eventually re applied for the Army and went back into the Regs.

10. As for the 4 years service requirement, you could argue that the longer a soldier serves in the forces, the harder it is to re-integrate with civvy street. I would suppose that resettlement grants are worked out the way they are with similar a reason in mind.

11. No disrespect to anyone trying to help ex service people. S.S.A.F.A has a requirement of just 1day of service to the crown for entitlement for assistance.

(Not that many would make a claim under this rule!) :D :D

I still stand by my words that NO British service person should have to beg
    in this day and age for the basic necessities of life, the fact that they "have to do so" is a National Disgrace.

I do hope that this predicament for underprivileged ex service people is not a deliberate one by way of sustaining jobs for the old boys network!

12. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

What the hell does that mean?

13. Then let me explain so you do understand ........ All ex service peoples welfare charities in this country are run and managed by ex retired officer material, If ex service welfare poverty were to be totally eradicated in this country (now there's a wishful thought) jobs for the "old boys network" I.E the people who run and manage these charities would be affected, and your talking a few thousand vacancies in this sector!