Accommodation charge

JNCO

Clanker
Looking for some advise here. I currently live in my own house and receive HTD as i do not need any accommodation. However, the Regt is due to move within the next few months and i will be forced to move back into the block.

So my question is this, as it is that army's choice to move me away from my home why do i need to pay a monthly accommodation charge? What would happen if i refused to take accommodation and argued that the extra charge would put me into dept?

Now i chose a job role that dose/should not of required me to move and this Regamental relocation is only due to the Armys 2020 plan. In my eyes i have been told "Not only are we moving you away from your wife, child and family but we are also going to charge you for it too!!" If a civie job has to move out of a commutable distance they are legally required to offer redundancy.

I can understand i am contracted to go where im told, but why do i have to pay to be there?

What are peoples opinions on this matter?

happy_as_a_hat

War Hero
Civilian employers also wouldn't offer cut price accommodation for you and your family when they move you.

Enjoy the patch.

Looking for some advise here. I currently live in my own house and receive HTD as i do not need any accommodation. However, the Regt is due to move within the next few months and i will be forced to move back into the block.

So my question is this, as it is that army's choice to move me away from my home why do i need to pay a monthly accommodation charge? What would happen if i refused to take accommodation and argued that the extra charge would put me into dept?

Now i chose a job role that dose/should not of required me to move and this Regamental relocation is only due to the Armys 2020 plan. In my eyes i have been told "Not only are we moving you away from your wife, child and family but we are also going to charge you for it too!!" If a civie job has to move out of a commutable distance they are legally required to offer redundancy.

I can understand i am contracted to go where im told, but why do i have to pay to be there?

What are peoples opinions on this matter?

You know what you signed up for.

JNCO

Clanker
ok we are moving away from the aim here ... im not arguing is civi life is better then military life, i am just simply looking for a simply reason why i am going to be out of pocket every month through no fault of my own.

Bris

LE
You'd have to do the 6-hour each way daily commute, or get a private hiring nearby.

Good luck in finding somewhere for less than the army accommodation charge though.

JNCO

Clanker
Vampireuk, as i said, im not arguing that i have to move, but if i am being forced then why should i have to pay??

Because the army does not exist to provide you with a reasonable daily commute, nobody in the careers office told you that you would stay in the same location for your entire career. You know full well that regiments and roles can and indeed do move.

JNCO

Clanker
ok Vampireuk, so what happens if i cannot afford the extra accommodation charge?
Bris, i am happy with my current 1 hour commute but the new 5 hour one will kill me within the first week.
dingerr, ok i cannot comment on EVERY civi company however i can only go off of the examples i have personally seen. and in all cases ive seen they have been offered redundancy.

mcvicar

Old-Salt
You will only be forced to move back into the block if you choose to not take SFA at your duty station.

If you do not wish to, or cannot move your family then you will be classed as either VOLSEP or INVOLSEP which will decide what you pay for SLA charges.

You need to take advice from you UWO or RAO on how this will be done as it can depend on age etc.

If it's a Regtl move rather than just a posting then it's hardly a bolt from the blue, so you may want to think about whether you want to move your family closer to the location, depending on how long you think you will with them for.

If you are asking for a waiver on the principle that you don't like being told to move, and why should you pay for it then my answer would be a rather shorter, fine don't take it then and make your own arrangements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That is not the Army's issue, nobody has ever told you that you will be serving in the same place for your entire career.

ok Vampireuk, so what happens if i cannot afford the extra accommodation charge?
Bris, i am happy with my current 1 hour commute but the new 5 hour one will kill me within the first week.
dingerr, ok i cannot comment on EVERY civi company however i can only go off of the examples i have personally seen. and in all cases ive seen they have been offered redundancy.

You'll be able to afford the accommodation charge, because they'll take it out your pay before you receive it.

You have a few options, including some advantageous to you.

JNCO

Clanker
mcvicar. I am not moving my family out of MY house. the army can move me but cant force them. SFA in any case would still charge. I own the house i am in, my whole point is if i am being forced back into accommodation (block or sfa) then why should i have to pay for it? If a soldier is sent to another camp on a course then they are not charged, so why when we are moved permanently?

Latest Threads