Accommodation at Deepcut

Discussion in 'RLC' started by Andy_Caps_Commando, Feb 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone have the same dramas as our Regt does, when booking courses at the said place there is no accommodation for SNCOs'. We have booked a course for a month at the school, only for him to be booked at a hotel in Bracknell. The cost for this is quite high and the travel time is going to add hours to the day in an already tight schedule. Yes it is always good to stay in hotels, but at what expense should we go to. :?

This cost comes from the Regts budget and not the school. Anyone know anything different?? Where money & time is already at a premium, surely something could be done. :?

2. What would you like to be done ???

3. At least to get the accommodation issue sorted out. Even though the place has not got a good rep at least those on course will be able to work late or early doors, and not lose that time travelling back and forth!

4. Why bother, word is we're not sticking around.

...........DST here we come.

5. You didn't say what the course was. Anyway, I must admit I find it strange that a depot has insufficient accommodation for people on courses (that said, I've never set foot in Deepcut). I'd have found my Sgt Maj course (do they still have those?) a bit weird had I been in the local Travel Inn. Perhaps the course needs re-evaluating to take into consideration the fact there are no facilities and people will have to travel ???

6. Percy_Pigeon

Percy_Pigeon War Hero Book Reviewer

I attended a course last year, 16 of us, 13 WO1’s and 3 WO2’s all RLC and we were put in the transit accommodation in Aldershot.

No course cohesion was very evident; some lads from our units could not believe that we could not be house in the Corps Mess never mind the course mess.

Not only did I feel let down by the Corps (now put right by the Course instructor) I feel it send out the wrong message. I can bet we all waxed lyrical when we returned to our units.

Blackdown as surpassed its capacity and requires relocating, I for one would love a DST posting.
    :oops: :oops: :oops: :x

7. Undergoing a refurbishment I believe (some not all messes)

noted that scaffolding up in various locations etc last time I was there (quite recent)

8. Perhaps we should take a leaf out of the American Forces system and build suitable hotels on such places to take into account the transitory status of soldiers and their families while travelling on duty and then rent out the spare capacity to non-duty people (on leave, visiting parents etc). I've stayed in many of them all over the world and they work - it just needs some commitment to run them properly.

9. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Your closing comment sums it up quite aptly.

10. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Holy thread resurrection etc etc and so on.

I thought about opening a new thread on the subject but thought I would check out my google fu, as I don't want Jarrod after me.

Any how, I have been given the heads up for a course at this delightful venue, yet to get the JI's. But I am the impatient type so thought I would ask; what's it like? Its a place I have managed to avoid to date, despite going to Pirbright itself many many times.
    What facilities? What the accommodation like? if there is downtime, what can I do? I am a junior ranks infanteer btw, transitioning to doing more G4 type stuff, hence the course.

11. What of the camp sniper?

12. chrisg46

"Keep low, move fast" I believe is the saying...

Or do you mean some bloke with a rifle who shouts "coo-ee" before he shoots you?

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Indeed, he must be nearing his 22 by now. Let's hope he gets an extension

14. If you live in the junior ranks block you will probably share a dark and dingy room, with communal ablutions.
    The bar at night is shite, there were some strange rules about phase 2s having a seperate bar from the those who transfer or are on course. there are no spirits sold to junior ranks. I dont know if that still the case.
    The camp has **** all on it or around it with the exception of some good running routes out the back.
    The quality of food varies every day, you'll soon learn which of the till-mongs charge exactly the same price for a banana as they do for a 3 course meal.
    If you climb up the large water tower and hang 30 foot over the edge it just might be possible to get a phone signal
    If you havent got a car you will probably slit your wrists.

Hope that helps.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  15. chrisg46

Well. Now I feel much better! Possibly a state of mind more suitable for deepcut...

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)