Accidental Discharge

Especially since, according to the Torygraph, his negligent discharge involved a 19.9 mm weapon. Must pack quite a punch.

The older and bolder among us will remember the weapons safety film "It could be you," in which someone has an ND while cleaning a loaded SLR and kills their mate.

Especially since, according to the Torygraph, his negligent discharge involved a 19.9 mm weapon. Must pack quite a punch.
It was an 19.9mm Australian Glock, too; they must be a lot heavier than the Austrian version.

Nor are they around the queen.

The older and bolder among us will remember the weapons safety film "It could be you," in which someone has an ND while cleaning a loaded SLR and kills their mate.
I expect it should read a Glock 19 9mm.

Which is actually Austrian not Australian.

You beat me to it Onetap!

I still remember my first lesson on Weapon Safety. The Full Screw teaching us began by saying, "More British soldiers have died as a result of an ND than the Paddy's have manged to kill in Northern Ireland."

I have no idea if that was true, but it certainly made an impression!

C

CivPlod

Ch.Supt Boyes had"an unthinking moment".......thats the one I remember.
Shame he wasnt removed permanently from duties, like a bottom feeder would have been...............

Isn't there sum mistook with the calibre, I'd believe it on a very very heavy sniper rifle, but for a pistol to chuck such a massive lump it can hardly be accurate.

It'd be more accurate and effective throwing housebricks wouldn't it?

"More British soldiers have died as a result of an ND than the Paddy's have manged to kill in Northern Ireland."

Yes Wolf, I also remember those days.
Certainly toward the end of the 80's I would have said that definitely more troops where shot by their own mates, more often then not by the 9 mill pistol.

john
Was around for two Negligent Discharges.

I still remember my first lesson on Weapon Safety. The Full Screw teaching us began by saying, "More British soldiers have died as a result of an ND than the Paddy's have manged to kill in Northern Ireland."

I have no idea if that was true, but it certainly made an impression!
I always got the story of the guy in NI who was sat on his pit cleaning his loaded gat and managed to squeeze the round off through the roof and into his mate in the room above. Dunno if that one was true either

Ch.Supt Boyes had"an unthinking moment".......thats the one I remember.
Shame he wasnt removed permanently from duties, like a bottom feeder would have been...............
Is that the same one that also features an officer shooting someone after NDing while trying to unload a pistol?

Is that the same one that also features an officer shooting someone after NDing while trying to unload a pistol?
Or the one when troops are dismounting a 4 tonner with SMG's where matey tries to cock it with his finger on the trigger and the safety at automatic. Took 4 or 5 of those in front of him out.

The fact this officer was alone and off duty speaks volumes, He was obviously bored and bored hands like to play with things.

A months salary as a fine and permanent removal from firearms duty should cover it. Do police regs allow fines to be levied?

Recall once a rather disillusioned colleague emptying his SMG mag into the unloading bay in NI. He didn't take too kindly to being shouted to go back and unload it properly by the full screw. Topped it off by chucking the weapon at the bloke.
Turned out he was suffering from Bi Polar or something so the Cpl had a pretty lucky escape. From that moment on I always tried to weigh up soldiers mental states when I told them to do something if they were carrying..

Tacky journalism the Torygrapgh should know better.......

I cannot speak for all forces but but we use the term involuntary discharge. After which there will an investigation to establish why! There can be a few causes such as weapon malfunction but like everywhere the major cause of involuntary discharge is operator error ND. Yes he could recieve a fine, reduced in rank, removed from post or all of them.