Accident at Iranian nuclear plant

Devil here again, what is a civilised nation? This again veers to racism and xenophobia.

Would it be OK for Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc. to develop nuclear technology for energy and defence?

Where do you draw the line?

Canada and Australia have nuclear power. Canada's one of the biggest uranium exporters too. But no nuclear weapons. I'm sure it's not beyond Canada or Australia to develop them, but to what end? Who are the Aussies going to nuke?

The people higher up the food chain to make decisions like that.

Please define the "food chain", and what right do they have?

Please don't get me wrong, I think enough learned lunatics have the power of the bomb already and that scares me enough without letting less learned c*** to access the same. I'm merely shooting for opinions.

Canada and Australia have nuclear power. Canada's one of the biggest uranium exporters too. But no nuclear weapons. I'm sure it's not beyond Canada or Australia to develop them, but to what end? Who are the Aussies going to nuke?
I see a narrow opening in your argument

Because Iran is a party to the NPT since 1970 but was found in non-compliance with its NPT safeguards agreement
An insistence on strict adherence to the NPT is dodgy ground for the Coalition of the Usual Suspects.

The preamble states that signatory states, in signing the treaty, are, "Declaring their intention to achieve at the earliest possible date the cessation of the nuclear arms race and to undertake effective measures in the direction of nuclear disarmament." Yet, Britain to expand nuclear warhead stockpile by over 40% as global threats rise.

In any case, the Iranians only need to exercise their rights under Article X and they're all good.

Really? There is/was a small experimental nuclear station at Lucas Heights near Sydney, but other than that, Oz has never had a nuclear power plant. While there's a lot of uranium in Oz, here's no nuclear power.

E2A: 'State parliaments in NSW and Victoria have completed nuclear inquiries over the past two years but the governments of both states have no intention of repealing laws banning nuclear power.

'The Morrison government established an inquiry into nuclear power in 2019 but made it clear that the federal ban would be retained regardless of the findings of the inquiry.'

Iran has vowed revenge on Israel. No doubt the Red Sea Pedestrians are shaking in their boots as we speak.
Revenge on Israel. They’ve supplied enough rockets that have been fired into Israel already . One might argue that it’s difficult to vow revenge.

MissingOTC

War Hero
I think that he means that they are long on talk and short on real action. A lot of what they say is for the home audience, and not necessarily connected with reality.

Well they are just about to enrich Uranium to 60% and struck an Israeli ship. Last time they made a threat an entire US base got bombarded. Be great to know what we mean by "real action" in this context.

That is cryptic fella, what are you actually trying to say? In English.
Yes, they say, they will now move to 'increase the level of enrichment'. However, they now have few unbroken centrifuges and those (if any) that still work are only fast enough to get to 20% enrichment, or less. The 'electrical incident' boots the can down the road another seven to nine months.

The iranian facility is underground, need something bigger.

Some of this:

View attachment 565025
In one of these:

View attachment 565028
Which the Izzies don't have.

Much.

Being slightly serious for a moment, all the Israelis I know here in NL and Amsterdam (a dozen and a half) like Iranians. They are comfortable with ordinary Iranians being nextdoor-but-two neighbours and would be very happy if the religious extremist version wasn't around. One young Israeli female in the group is engaged to an Iranian guy, for example.

The average bod doesn't want to 'solve' the problem by nuking Iranian cities and slaughtering a few million potential friends. Ongoing disruption of the nuclear research works fine, and also uses up Iranian resources which are (or were) being limited by sanctions anyway.

I don't know, if I was Israel right now I would be feeling pretty stupid.....

I think Israel realizes its going to be an ongoing process. Until such time the Iranian people or the international community check it. Do You think a nuclear armed Iran would be a good thing?

It is all really weird that a state like Iran, with a (reasonably) well educated population, a civilization going back millennia, a culture of tolerance (up to a point) of other religions including Christianity and Judaism, a history of pro-western friendship is the great evil power in the Middle East while Iran's sworn enemy the barbaric, intolerant, head-chopping, desert-dwelling nomads of the Arabian peninsula, the people who actually took part in 9/11 and funded ISIS are somehow regarded as the great friends of the West (including Israel, secretly).

It's amazing how much influence Saudi petro-dollars can buy in the halls of government and editorial offices of the West.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
It is all really weird that a state like Iran, with a (reasonably) well educated population, a civilization going back millennia, a culture of tolerance (up to a point) of other religions including Christianity and Judaism, a history of pro-western friendship is the great evil power in the Middle East while Iran's sworn enemy the barbaric, intolerant, head-chopping, desert-dwelling nomads of the Arabian peninsula, the people who actually took part in 9/11 and funded ISIS are somehow regarded as the great friends of the West (including Israel, secretly).

It's amazing how much influence Saudi petro-dollars can buy in the halls of government and editorial offices of the West.

True.

Being slightly serious for a moment, all the Israelis I know here in NL and Amsterdam (a dozen and a half) like Iranians. They are comfortable with ordinary Iranians being nextdoor-but-two neighbours and would be very happy if the religious extremist version wasn't around. One young Israeli female in the group is engaged to an Iranian guy, for example.

The average bod doesn't want to 'solve' the problem by nuking Iranian cities and slaughtering a few million potential friends. Ongoing disruption of the nuclear research works fine, and also uses up Iranian resources which are (or were) being limited by sanctions anyway.
I don't know any Iranians here, but there have been a few on TV, who have all lamented the state of affairs in Iran. They have all learned the language and integrated themselves here.
It's the same old story, a few crazies and or megalomaniacs in power ruin everything for the other 99% of the population. In this case the religious extremists in power preach one thing but practice another, out of view of the masses.

I don't know any Iranians here, but there have been a few on TV, who have all lamented the state of affairs in Iran.
Exile communities are rarely a reliable guide to popular opinion at home but my own experience has been that Iranians are extremely proud of their country and heritage, and while they'd happily be rid of the Mullahs they believe that's a matter for Iranians to decide rather than Westerners.

We've interfered too often in too many people's affairs to be trusted as honest brokers, I guess.

MissingOTC

War Hero
I think Israel realizes its going to be an ongoing process. Until such time the Iranian people or the international community check it. Do You think a nuclear armed Iran would be a good thing?

No, I actually stated in one my posts it would not be if you read them. Israel's actions have accelerated the will of Iran to go nuclear, and when Iran does others will follow, and eventually we will need to pick up some messy pieces. The only out of control country I see right now is Israel. EU/US approach was actually working, Iranians were very keen on dropping sanctions in return for a slowdown/rollback. Israel has thrown a massive spanner in the works here, anyone can see that.

Anyway, good luck to Iran now, as now they can turn around to the rest of the world and say "Well, look, this is why we need nukes, we have to face a crazy Nuke armed Israel". They have pissed all over our efforts to stop Iran.

MissingOTC

War Hero
Yes, they say, they will now move to 'increase the level of enrichment'. However, they now have few unbroken centrifuges and those (if any) that still work are only fast enough to get to 20% enrichment, or less. The 'electrical incident' boots the can down the road another seven to nine months.

Yes, and that is an optimistic scenario based on what Israelis believe. Always unsure what the truth is on these matters, but what is certain now is there will be great pressure on the Iranians to go full nuclear. We were actually making very small and unpublicised baby steps in getting them to roll back, but Bibi needs to look tough for the Israeli electorate (sorry the Jews who are allowed a vote) and has messed this up.

Oh well, in a funny way the Saudis and the Russians will also get their much wanted oil price hike soon as we seem more fireworks here so all good I guess.......

To be honest, after reflection.

The virus having destroyed itself and left no trace, there was no evidence that the Israelis planted it, but Iran pointed the finger.

It walked like a duck, and quacked like a duck...

No trace? How to do that without nuking the entire laptop, which would be an indication
something untoward has happened.

Devil here again, what is a civilised nation? This again veers to racism and xenophobia.

Would it be OK for Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc. to develop nuclear technology for energy and defence?

Where do you draw the line?

This is an excellent philosophical discussion but In the case of Iran, the issue is not the nation but the theocratic regime.
Iranians as a people - you couldn't meet anyone less interested in waging war....

Last edited: