Accessories for SLR

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Drlligaf, Oct 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As I am about to take ownership of a genuine SLR (not the European model) I am looking for certain accessories, which I cannot find in Germany.

1. Sling
    2. Sight protector
    3. SUIT

AL1. The jackpot would of course be the 22LR conversion kit, but I suspect that rocking horse droppings are easier to find.

I already have a couple of mags courtesy of Wedge Cadman.

I have tried the Internet without much success. If any Arrsers could give me any help/suggestions I would be gratefull.
  2. Lucky bugger!
  3. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Have a sling, seen it recently. Now where the fcuk did I put it.
  4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

"a genuine SLR (not the European model)" :)

I can source as new SUIT, top rails, slings and bayonets - never looked for a sight protector.
    Will an original L1A1 top rail fit a LuxDefTec FAL?

I need an extra long butt if you can find one of them.
  5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Check under your bed, they are multi-purpose items to the creative minded
  6. Sorry Alsacien but you are a bit behind the drag curve. The L85 sling is much better for creative thinkers.
    So I have been told.
  7. For Alsaciens benefit, long butt (fnar fnar) guckst du, eGun
  8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Only checked egun a couple of times a week for 6 months without success..... cheers!
  9. The SLR arrived a bit sooner than expected, which means that Saturday morning will be spent turning some fairly ancient LC 7.62 rounds into empty cases in order to sight it in ready for the 300mtr session on 5 Nov 10. Appropriate.
    As I already have a Browning, all I need now is an SMG, LMG and a GPMG, although I think that the Polizeipräsidium might have problems with the last item.

Attached Files:

• 009.jpg
      File size:
      121 KB
  10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Looks like you have the bayonet fitting on the barrel just like a real one ;-)
  11. Alsacien, God alone knows what it is but it isn't a bayonet lug.
  12. It will have been chopped off to comply with the bizarre German law. One of my mates has just bought a No.5 with the lug ground off, it's all matching too, it's a bit of a shame they've ruined it.

Is the law still the same, or can you buy rifles avec bayonet lugs now?
  13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Nobody in Germany has said anything about my French registered SLR yet (its on my EFP). Quite why anyone considers a semi-automatic rifle being converted into a pointly stick as more dangerous is beyond me......
  14. The requirement to lop off the bayonet lug applies to semi auto rifles only, SMLEs, K98s etc no problem. The German Firearms Act bans not only full auto weapons but also those that look like them,and a bayonet lug makes the gun look military! The situation is still better than it was pre 2003, when the law was changed, partly to our benefit. But only partly. As for weapons legally aquired in other EU countries and then brought into Germany on a EFP, I reckon that nobody has considered that. A mate of mine who lives in Luxembourg bought his SLR for about € 250.00! It is as issued complete with bayonet lug and he shoots in Germany with it, no problems. C'est la vie!

As an afterthought, my Garand has had the bayonet lug cut off. It was located on the gas cylinder, which can be easily exchanged for an unmutilated one without tools in a few seconds.
  15. The bayonet-banning regulation (which also occurs in parts of the US) has to be one of the stupidest and most unjustifed aspects of firearms control - I doubt that anyone, anywhere, has even been bayoneted by a criminal using a bayonet attached to the rifle. And quite what making the rifle "not look like a military firearm" is supposed to contribute to public safety is a mystery...