Accepted Wisdom

I thought of this when reading the new 5.56mm round thread and the endless twaddle about "being designed to wound".

I wondered what other "isms" is often being spouted as fact, or weird attitudes that have no logic. Here are a few that I have heard or experienced:

"Slings encourage laziness": Was popular once in 16 Bde

"Dont put anything on the front of your Osprey". Shouldnt that be 'anything loose' like pens, cylumes and bayonets? If it rips off Molle pouches I guess your plate will probably be hitting your face as well (not to mention your femur) and I dont think anyone wants us to take our plates out.

"Never remove the rubber from the Osprey Plate". Why?

"Lace your boots straight or the medic wont be able to cut them off". Get a sharper knife then... Also, notice how that one died with the new boots.

Also, whats the point of having Religion on your F-IDENT 189? Is that not one of the most unhelpful pieces of information to give to the enemy on todays ops?

I'm not claiming to be an expert and point out if Im wrong, but there are some weird bollocks being spouted out there...

Anyone got any more?

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
""Lace your boots straight or the medic wont be able to cut them off".

Anyone got any more?
Or a Ghurka will kill you because they feel your laces when they sneak up on you at night

If you fire an SLR without holding it tight it will break your shoulder.

(Presumable a swan will then arrive and break your arm with its wing.....)

You have to turn up to South Cerney, as a Battalion, 24 hours before your (45 min) flight to NI departs. Oh and we had to put our rifles through the security X-Ray machine. Whoever accepted that wisdom should have failed CDT.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Taught to us on an E&E/survival course, with great seriousness, "In a survival situation never eat a polar bear's liver becuse the Vitamin A will poison you."

One of the most useful pieces of information I ever learned in seventeen years service. I keep it in mind every day.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Pardon? who was that? I couldn't quite see..... :)

If you eat rabbits you will die of starvation..... :roll:

That is one true, it goes under the name of 'rabbit starvation' and has claimed the lives of a few Canadian trappers. However, this is if rabbit is the ONLY thing you eat for months! Something to do with rabbits lacking fat and oils, that humans need to survive It's been a while, so have forgotten most of this as Lidl and Aldi are quite near nowadays.

That is one true, it goes under the name of 'rabbit starvation' and has claimed the lives of a few Canadian trappers. However, this is if rabbit is the ONLY thing you eat for months! Something to do with rabbits lacking fat and oils, that humans need to survive It's been a while, so have forgotten most of this as Lidl and Aldi are quite near nowadays.
The same would go of eating practically any other single foodstuff though! :)

The story (Which I'll grant has an element of truth in it) has become morphed into a "fact" that rabbit has no nutrition quality at all!

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
There's no black in nature. What ******* colour is a blackbird then? Or the middle of a poppy?
In the case of the blackbird, very dark green with a hint of blue.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
The same would go of eating practically any other single foodstuff though! :)

The story (Which I'll grant has an element of truth in it) has become morphed into a "fact" that rabbit has no nutrition quality at all!
Rabbit and Celery stew anyone?

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
A sniper wil spot the razor sharp creases in your C95 trousers and follow the line up....
Thats why you shouldn't press your kit

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
A sniper wil spot the razor sharp creases in your C95 trousers and follow the line up....
Thats why you shouldn't press your kit
It's Wednesday, so there are many examples of C95 trousers to be seen here in Lunnon. And I must say that the majority of wearers seem to have heard that story - either that, or there's a ban on using irons for some green reason :)