Accepted Wisdom

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by HelmanDrifter, Aug 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I thought of this when reading the new 5.56mm round thread and the endless twaddle about "being designed to wound".

I wondered what other "isms" is often being spouted as fact, or weird attitudes that have no logic. Here are a few that I have heard or experienced:

"Slings encourage laziness": Was popular once in 16 Bde

"Dont put anything on the front of your Osprey". Shouldnt that be 'anything loose' like pens, cylumes and bayonets? If it rips off Molle pouches I guess your plate will probably be hitting your face as well (not to mention your femur) and I dont think anyone wants us to take our plates out.

"Never remove the rubber from the Osprey Plate". Why?

"Lace your boots straight or the medic wont be able to cut them off". Get a sharper knife then... Also, notice how that one died with the new boots.

Also, whats the point of having Religion on your F-IDENT 189? Is that not one of the most unhelpful pieces of information to give to the enemy on todays ops?

I'm not claiming to be an expert and point out if Im wrong, but there are some weird bollocks being spouted out there...

Anyone got any more?

2. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Or a Ghurka will kill you because they feel your laces when they sneak up on you at night

3. Nah, thats true, i've already died twice because of it...

4. If you eat rabbits you will die of starvation..... :roll:

5. If you fire an SLR without holding it tight it will break your shoulder.

(Presumable a swan will then arrive and break your arm with its wing.....)

6. The SA80 is the most lightweight and accurate assault rifle in the world.....

7. You have to turn up to South Cerney, as a Battalion, 24 hours before your (45 min) flight to NI departs. Oh and we had to put our rifles through the security X-Ray machine. Whoever accepted that wisdom should have failed CDT.

8. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

In fairness it's accurate

9. Taught to us on an E&E/survival course, with great seriousness, "In a survival situation never eat a polar bear's liver becuse the Vitamin A will poison you."

One of the most useful pieces of information I ever learned in seventeen years service. I keep it in mind every day.

10. Wanking makes you go blind and deaf!

11. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Pardon? who was that? I couldn't quite see..... :)

12. It's not particularly accurate.......

13. That is one true, it goes under the name of 'rabbit starvation' and has claimed the lives of a few Canadian trappers. However, this is if rabbit is the ONLY thing you eat for months! Something to do with rabbits lacking fat and oils, that humans need to survive It's been a while, so have forgotten most of this as Lidl and Aldi are quite near nowadays.

14. The same would go of eating practically any other single foodstuff though! :)

The story (Which I'll grant has an element of truth in it) has become morphed into a "fact" that rabbit has no nutrition quality at all!

15. There's no black in nature. What ******* colour is a blackbird then? Or the middle of a poppy?